Cheat?

The meaning of the use of such software ("Goldfish Glypher") 🤬 for me it's cheats!? What do you think? Maybe then you should cancel the medal "Translator" as well as "Guardian"?

Tagged:

Comments

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Retiring badges because of cheaters is not the way!

• I ran into this program at the last event. I asked him why he was using it, and he says she helps me remember. Isn't that a cheat? I just don't understand people, sense then to play - they just destroyed the game!

• Simply as in such cases himself Niantic thinks?

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Does it actually interfere with any programming, does it effect agents, does it alter anything in game? If it actually does the glyph for you, without you having to touch your device then yes, that is cheating but if it shows you a possible sequence overlay then no because it is not effecting the game nor does any effect other players.

• Then compare the player who plays with this program and without it. Who has more chances to make a mistake and who will receive a medal in the first place!

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

So, you want to simply remove the badge that I just worked my **** off to get Onyx? Nope. I don't agree with that.

Let's take your argument one step further. There are spoofers and multi accounting going on. People are cheating at the game, should we simply have Niantic retire the game? I'd think not.

Yes Niantic needs to find ways to stop this from happening but there is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

I disagree, it's being lazy for sure, but not cheating. It's the same with the timer overlays. They don't physically alter, disrupt, or enhance anything with the app. The app in question gives flash cards on what the sequence may be. It does not input the sequence for them which then would be cheating because the third party app is interfering with the actual app. If NIA takes this as a huge issue the only way to stop it would be to make all glyph sequences 100% random and would not make any sense.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be impossible for Niantic to detect it, but I do think it's pretty cheap to use it.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've created an absurd definition of "cheating" that only a cheater would accept.

• But it does provide an advantage of those doing it the way it was intended. Aka cheating.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

By that definition, anyone with a really good memory is cheating because they have an advantage over others.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

No it doesn't, because "doing it the way it was intended" was to do it from memory. Having a good memory isn't cheating, it's just being better at the game.

The are "fair advantages" (just being better at a game) and unfair advantages (like using a cheating app) in games. That's why professional sports ban steroids but don't ban being strong.

The only people who don't see the difference are usually cheaters themselves.

• Okay, take a pencil and paper, draw and then glyph. But despite the fact that the program itself appears on top of Ingrees and she tells you that the glyph - the man himself will train your memory ever! This is the same as dealing with "helicopter" why did they removed the medal Guardian?

• I read this comment a few times and I still don't know what you're referring to. To answer your last question, Guardian was retired (not removed - those who earned it still have it) because it was causing a lot of bad blood between players, with some players actively denying others the chance of getting the medal. The only way you can deny someone a translator badge, on the other hand, is to follow them around all the time, and everytime they start glyphing, you start shouting out the name of random glyphs.

I'm not interested in the debate of whether it is cheating or not. I don't use it, and other people (regardless of faction) using it doesn't bother me. I think I can hack faster than most people using such aids with less effort. But even if they can hack faster, it still wouldn't bother me. Asking for the translator badge to be removed (if that's what you're proposing) because some people are using these overlay apps is ridiculous.

• I apologize for my poor English - I have to use Google translator. I not for removing. I just wanted to ask if using these programs is good or bad. And can I send in a ban for that? Guardian medal was fun, it's a pity that it was removed.

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

Using these programs is bad. Technically using third party tools to interact with ingress is breaking the ingress Terms of Service.

The only question about the programs that help you to remember glyphs is whether or not these are "interacting" with ingress in a way that is prohibited by the Terms of Service.

So, in theory, you could be banned for using such programs, but I don't know if Niantic could actually detect their use?

• MaliciousWolfMaliciousWolf ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I cannot believe there are actually people who are arguing that overlay apps do not give an unfair advantage to players who use them or that they do not directly impact gameplay.

Someone who is not skilled at glyphing and decides to use one of these apps to glyph will now have a quick and easy reference to 'recall' (rather peak and cheat) a given glyph sequence. By completing a given glyph sequence using said app that they would have otherwise NOT been able to do utilizing their OWN memory and learned SKILLS means they will earn a percent BONUS of EXTRA GEAR such as POWER CUBES, ULTRA STRIKES, XMP BURSTERS, RESONATORS, PORTAL SHIELDS, ETC... that they can then use to destroy and deploy MORE portals, links and fields against players who are NOT using overlay apps and are glyphing from memory alone that may not be able to successfully complete glyphs at the same level a similarly skilled or lesser skilled player who is using a glyph overlay app to assist in their glyphing can.

This would mean a non skilled player using an overlay app would have an unfair advantage over a player who doesn't use an overlay app, and this directly impacts gameplay by allowing the non skilled player to aquire as much if not more gear to utilize against a legit player that they would have otherwise not have acquired or have access to utilizing their own skills.

As for those comparing overlay apps to people who wright down sequences by hand on paper... if someone is actually able to write down a full L8 glyph sequence in a legible manner in the time the sequence is displayed and then retrace said sequence back to the app within the 15 second window, then more power to them as that seems like too much extra work and difficulty to add to glyphing...

Now can Niantic actually track and monitor such an app? No, not without acquiring root access to a device which would require user permissions to do so, or if a Niantic Rep actually catches you in the act using such an application at an official event.

• I think we're all making fun of the #BanTheMall people like you who think the best thing to do in a game that's shedding 2-3% of the player base every week is to find new and creative ways to ban people.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

Before you begin the glyph, there are not instructions, nor a warning, that you didn't rightfully get the point unless you did it without assistance. Remembering the sequence yourself without help is your choice to make. Just as those who get help from a friend looking over their shoulder or an app overlay make their choice.

Leave it alone. Let them play the way they enjoy playing and you do the same.

• What people leave is their business. Don't know about you, but in our region a lot of pokemansion come into play and bring their own rules. They say these rules are easier to play with!

I just hate people who say I got translate medals and I'm proud of it. And received with the help this programs!

Then you will explain to me - how can I get happiness from Translate and be proud of it when using this program?

• Im assuming this program, which I dont know personally, is solely an overlay and doesnt interact with the client, feel it is pretty much the same as writing it on a piece of paper as they appear then entering then in the client.

Krug has commented on this previously with words to the effect of "he feels it is against the spirit of the game, though not directly against the rules"

If anyone wants to get pedantic about things, writing down portal names etc, to hack, field plan, whatever, is actually explicitly banned by the ToS, I've never heard of anyone having a cry about that, well except once, and I hope that was in jest.