Renewed Guardian Badge (with renewed hunt subgame)

GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

My suggestion:

-One token that let's you select a portal key from your inventory of portal currently captured by you (flipped portals would not be eligible).

-Token will score 1 point to a 10/30/180/360/720 badge for every 24 hours lapse completed without the portal being neutralized or flipped.

-When interrupted, token will reset to 0 (hours of time lapse) and enter a 24 hour cooldown before being able to select another portal key (badge will NOT lose already scored points).

-Token will NOT leave a COMM trace but will display some animation for all players to see. This would prevent scraping stuff and allow hunters to go hunt. Even there could be a stat (no badge) for it!!

Guardian is dead, we all know. This is something different, so please, read before posting "Guardian is dead, get over it" **** and thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Tagged:

Comments

• ThaldeonThaldeon ✭✭✭

interesting idea, but i think it still needs polishing...

• I like this idea. What I would change is to have the token only being applicable to portals in hack range. So you'd have to "carry" it to a certain place to have it acitvated. The token could be a very rare hackable item.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

Another way they could do it is just the overall ownership of one portal, You capture X portal at 1200 P, gets killed at 1200 A, you have 12 hours counted towards it, recapture X portal and hold it for a full 24 hours, you now have 36 hours counted towards it.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

The simplest way would be to h a very cumulative rather than consecutive portal ownership.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had similar ideas about a capture the flag minigame but then there is no incentive for hiding your own flag and some agents might be lazy about doing it. Also of one agents gets really good at finding every other agents flags it would spoil the game for everyone else on their team.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

@grendelwulf we would be speaking of 2 badges here: the token gets you score for your New Guardian badge and every time you manage to hunt down someone else's guardian you get a score in the Hunter badge.

Do you think that would incentivate players enough?

Perhaps a Hunter badge would not be necessary, just a stat.

Of course, all this is based on the fact that the token can visually be spotted but not possible to find by any other means, otherwise, we go back again.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy solution: a medal to have a portal online every day. Any portal. If you get at least one portal online during one of the CPS of that day, them you get your daily point. Basically a capture sojourner.

He's suggesting something more casual. If players can be both Hunter and Hunter there will be less hard feelings. Like a game of hide and seek or cat and house. I do like it. Hide a token. Try to find other player's tokens.

Too easy. To achieve casually and too easy for agents to be griefed by blackouts.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Hunting will always mean cheating.

Scrap and spoof. Like with the old badge.

+ players crying about their portal destroyed for a baf.... a portal is just deployed to be destroyed ant reason to keep it up and hidden is wrong

Well, before, "hunting" was an side effect of the hiding and keeping a guardian game. What OP is suggesting is making hunting an actual part of the game. Hunt and be hunted. Hide and seek. Make it an expected behavior instead of an unwanted one. It would become less illicit and less likely scrapers would be employed if progress wasn't reset.

I ignore how that would work, but I take that if it is not intel visible then is not possible to scrap it, is it?

That is why I said the animation thing: something a human eye can see but is not written anywhere.

@Khatre the idea is to be able to achieve this passing over cheating stuff, that is why Hunt should have a badge, just a stat. About New Guardian badge, the proposal is an easy medal that just keeps you playing daily, I don't believe there is such risk of bringing all the spoofers fleet again. I believe the cost would be too high and agressive to go unpunished.

Perhaps a bit more info about how this **** works

I ignore how that would work, but I take that if it is not intel visible then is not possible to scrap it, is it?

That is why I said the animation thing: something a human eye can see but is not written anywhere.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Cumulative rather than consecutive portal ownership wouldn't bring back toxicity. Just like every other stat except Sojourner. The other side can't deny you the badge. So long as you own a portal somewhere, you get the increment.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭

interesting indeed

• Interesting, but lacking difficulty and challenge?

edited August 2019

I'd say is just as hard as Sojourner badge. Perhaps tiers could be widen up, but target is to bring back the badge with its subgame but leave behind the toxicity it arouses.

And @XK150 , it isn't that complex! If someone can't stand it's "Guardian" being taken down, token is not mandatory to place, progress is not lost and I see no reason to go mad over it. Anyways, I've always believed that going nuts for a portal (any portal) is clear signal that you got the wrong game.

That is nice idea, it even can go along with the hunting.

What do you think would be a good time-lapse?

Should they be silent?

Refloating this thread as Dronenet may have done this subjet a real thing now.

:)

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I miss Guardian and the journeys it gave to place it for yourself or deny it for someone.

Edit: woops, a bit late to the party

• As long as the score is cumulative, this would work. The biggest problem with Guardian (and Sojourner) is the complete loss of progress when a mistake or enemy action occurs. That complete loss makes players want to quit.

Guardian was supposed to be about protecting portals so choosing what to protect makes more sense. I would not be against this idea. And with the Drone implementation, it's clear they can declare portal flags. Just make sure it can be done by key as well as in range.

Well, wouldn't make much sense not to carry the key of your Guardian and I think it's easier that way.

I'm aware that avoiding the loss of progress may not motivate the hunt like before but what I'm suggesting is a new concept.

• Despite Guardian being dead I feel some agents are still scraping to hit long term portals

This would be a new stat. Also, if implemented like the drone, it would not be possible to scrap it.

I really think this would bring back some players and since progress is not lost, no one should be mad if it is taken down!