Is it a good idea to sell temporary inventory capacity in store?

crazergcrazerg ✭✭
edited August 2019 in General

10 dollors for 1000 extra inventory capacity per day for example, so you can take 3000 items in this day.

Agents who attending a XMA or transporting portal keys would love it, and NIA can make money from it even without double the fracker price.

And NIA could use some kind of tiered pricing to maintain balance between RICH and POOR agents. $10 for the first day, $20 for the second, $40 for the third.... for example. 

Comments

• The core of the game is cooperation. If it was not for the community, this game and Niantic would have been gone many years ago.

If you want to transport keys, you get someone else to hold your other gear while you do that. Paying money instead of making friends is against the spirit of the game.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't support this idea.

But, how about a "vault"? You can rent it for X days, as you suggest, and your items are stored there, away from you and not avaliable. When time is over, you get them back. If your inventory hasn't enough capacity, remaining items are recycled and returned to you as XM.

Thsi gives time for players to have temporary extra space for XMA in exchange of paying attention to their stored items. Since the vault is only rented once, the is no chance this goes forever.

Stored items are not accessible to anyone and they only travel from your inventory to the vault at the time of the renting and then travel back to your inventory when the renting time goes off. If you are playing at the moment, you should get a notification or a screen some time before (several times) in order to prevent unintended item loss.

• The kind of person that would cheat would probably not be stopped by an option that could be bought. I've been to 15 anomalies and have never started a backpack account to store items.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not support such massive increments in capacity in a single jump. I would support being able to purchase permanent increments of, say, 50 at a time up to a maximum of 2500. But the ability to purchase each increment should be an achievement you have to unlock by actively playing the game rather than just handing over CMU, each increment requiring a more challenging metric. Including possibly only available after recursion. This will prevent it being used for backpacks.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Won't pay for something temporary but would buy permanent storage instead

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely agree that Niantic needs to do something to help with the gear situation at anomalies. Letting agents rent extra storage space for them is probably not the solution, because it will look like anomalies are adding a pay-to-win feature.

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

Temporary space? No.

Just copy the system from PoGo. It's not going to affect whether or not you end up needing your local retired players to hold a ton of gear, and it's not like having to farm goes away. It just adds buffer capacity and buffer capacity is awesome.

• Just as a recursion benefit sounds good to me.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I believe it would be better a expansible system like the other games.

Start with 500 and being able to purchase up to 1000 of resonators, weapons, cubes, mods and keys, individually, with escalated value. Something like this.

Maybe with some limitations, like (for example) a maximum of 3k total, so each player will be able to personally buy more of the category he needs more.

It would not be unreasonable for new players to be limited to a small inventory (say 400 items) and get 100 more for each level, meaning at L16 they have 2000. Again this will help prevent backpacks. Then after recursion can purchase more.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

An XM Anomaly is pretty much the only time when your everyday items/keys are useless, but just deleting them isn't an option.

One AMA ages ago suggested, an Anomaly locker, whereby you load items into it such that they do not count towards your inventory limit.

Items loaded in, cannot be unloaded in the normal way.

Instead, a timer, for 1 week begins from when the first item is loaded in. At the end of the 1 week, items that were in that Anomaly Locker would auto-magically get unloaded into your main inventory.

Caveat, such "Anomaly lockers" can only be purchased, if the player has bought an Anomaly ticket (usually free).

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're transporting that many keys, chances are you already have friends - otherwise who is it that needs the keys?

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

I though of this too, like a 2k space caps like keylocker that can only be open on anomaly location during an anomaly.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

No. There's better solutions.

@crazerg I've given some thought to my above comment.

I'd suggest Niantic create a Chaotic Matter Locker that can hold up to 100 Frackers, Beacons and any future CM items they release. The benefit of this is people may be more like to spend money on such items if they can hold them without losing inventory space.

I'd also suggest Niantic create a Media Locker to hold media files without counting toward inventory. This would help in moving media around for anomalies since that is a part of scoring now.

Also, just give us the option to buy up to 500 extra inventory slots, unlocked by recursing.

In increments of 50 slots at a time, with a minimum cooldown of, say, 1 month between purchases so you can't increase your inventory by 25% instantly.

• I would support a general increase in inventory space, as over the years the amount of items you can attain grew but the space to store them in remained the same.

Other then that, I don't think it's an awesome idea to sell this. As much as I'd like to buy more space, ultimately that's just full stop pay to win and should be avoided.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I'd say that keylockers are the only real inventory expansion that could work out.

I still stand by the idea I proposed earlier in the post, but if I have to bet, I bet on keylockers.

What if you could buy an extra 50 slots per "Onyx Translator" badge with a hard limit of 10 purchases? That means someone with Onyx could purchase 50, but you would have to recurse and work harder for more. Backpacks don't have that kind of discipline.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

just make it a permanent change when redacted is closed for good to like 2500 space for everyone... problem solved.

No it should not be automatic for everyone. It should be something you have to earn by actually playing the game, e.g. only available after recursion.

500 inventory slots would be a great salve on the butthurt of redacted ending.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

yes ok lets say new agents start with 1000inv, then only after reaching lvl 16 they unlock the highest 2500 cap or something ?

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the power gap between rookies and high-level agents needs to be increased.