Updates on Ingress Store

Comments

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

It would definitely be nice to see CM or something as a reward for spending so much time on OPR and other activities which clearly enrich the game and community.

From a business standpoint, I get their point. If a project is nothing more than a resource sink it's difficult to justify, and as the other games gain the things Ingress once provided (PoI submission) it's even harder to justify.

I think there can absolutely be a middle-ground here - a way to provide purchase options for players that they're interested in and that don't break game balance.

• I'd like a fancy badge based in the amount of CMU spent in the store

• @NianticBrian as there seem to be no longer any OPR Live Events/Tickets, what about additional Submissions via the ingame store? Like 5 Submissions for 9000 CMU, 10 Submissions for 14'900 CMU?

What so you think about that?

• @NianticBrian got a few meetup bundles :D really like them now.

I feel level 6 is the sweetspot for selling weapons, and rare for selling shields. Any higher would get gross for sure.

Multihacks and heatsinks are great things to sell since they work well with frackers, both factions can make use of a portal with them, and they do boil down to just being a big time save.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

So now we are gonna sell gear? Wasn't this an issue before? What did @ace say once upon a time? Something about never selling gear?

Plenty of ways to make money off the game instead of destroying what is left of it. And I do say what is left of it, as the amount of active agents continues to dwindle.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if they are gonna sell gear, maybe we can sell gear back to the marketplace for a little CMU? Help balance this economy where certain prices are getting jacked up. Ya know, supply & demand, right? heh

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

There is gear they can sell without breaking balance.

I believe the Hanke comment was around AXA shields, but yeah... It hasn't aged well.

• Useful, permanent things. See, that's the problem right there. That's what a customer wants, because it is a good purchase. But it is not a renewable income stream. That's why inkjet manufacturers sell printers cheap and charge a lot for ink. It's the razor blade business model.

Frackers are a good income stream. They're a consumable, and what they buy you is time. When you use a fracker, you spend half the time glyphing. Niantic is betting that we value our time enough that doubling the price of frackers will lead to less than 50% drop in sales, so that they'll come out ahead. I know most of us are planning to not purchase any more frackers, but over in HQ, I'm very sure they're adopting a wait and see attitude, and see if we'll eventually cave in.

• @NianticBrian Does Niantic use an internal chargeback model by which PoGo and HPWU pay Ingress for its work developing and maintaining the portal network? The ongoing work of reviewing submissions, editing and correcting portal details and removing portals from the game as real-life conditions change is valuable labor performed by Ingress agents. I would think the value of that, if paid for by PoGo and HPWU, could be more than sufficient to sustain Ingress if the true costs and value were recognized and billed appropriately to the other games. 

Perhaps some tweaks need to be made to the portal maintainence processes in Ingress to add more value by creating a more accurate network, such as putting portal removal out for review by players with a secondary review by employees if the voting is highly contested (or just rely on the fact that agents can resubmit if the portal is improperly removed by player vote). I would also like the ability in OPR when reviewing edits to flag that the portal is not even valid under current criteria and should be removed.  Ingress agents could also be incentivized to do more OPR work by earning CMU or one-time use passcodes for VR gear (as others have suggested). I imagine there is also additional work that Ingress agents perform for all three games such as testing code common to all games that could also be charged to PoGo and HPWU to earn money for Ingress.

• This guy gets it. If you wanted to double the price you could have done something to make it more worth considering like doubling the time the frackers lasts and/or improving item output.

• I, too, am not happy about doubling the price of the frackers. And I notice that the biggest seller of Ingress items on eBay is still active - the seller's eBay name is ingress_store, and they are selling everything in the game as well as accounts and cheat-bots. Why don't you do something about that? (And get a court order to force them to divulge the names of every agent that has bought stuff from them, and ban all those accounts.)

• jsylvisjsylvis ✭✭✭✭

Let's not forget history. Last year's store changes were worse.

• I generally don’t use frackers, so I personally don’t care about the pricing, but really the increase seems like a lazy and probably ineffective way to raise revenue.

I’d be more than happy to support Ingress financially to purchase outright a “redacted skin”

Things other players have suggested, or variations, I could also support e.g:

Extra key lockers

Special breeding lockers

expanded key lockers

a charging locker say where you can feed cubes and charge all keys?

a crafting device to convert inventory?

A subscription maybe $6.99 AUD price point is good offering +100-200 inventory and some miscellaneous benefits could work

get creative, many are happy to support the game, we spend a lot to play it!

ps: you’re going to introduce and of the various paid additions, you might want to ensure it’s done before redacted is over, or you have a way to retain players... because I’m not seeing anything to encourage players who value the superior original UI to continue playing

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Pack with 5 key lockers and all new agents can buy them.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @niantic, I would buy a CM Locker that let you hold Frackers and Beacons without counting them toward your inventory.

• Being a world's top fraker user I would to say that doubling price wouldn't stop me from using frakers. It's already "the most expensive free game" ;)

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Very bad now when Niantic dubble the price for Frackers. 😡😭

• Being a London Resistance agent, I'm a part of the very active local fracking community, which meets up at least once a week - sometimes every day of the week.

And as a result, we went through a lot of frackers.

Went.

We aren't buying any damn double-priced frackers, when many of us are already dubious about Niantic's other business decisions. We might experiment with other team farming methods - after all, we all need kit, we all like each other, and we all want an excuse to get a pint in. We won't be buying kit from the store. We won't be buying overpriced frackers.

• BurliBurli ✭✭✭

I would pay, that I can have more then 150 Missions online....

• They already do this. It only shows in shop if you have not bought key lockers.

Now they just need to sell the 6th.

• Well if you get to buy a 6th, it's only fair I can buy a 7th.

They gave away a free locker at their anniversary.

If you weren't playing then, tough luck.

If you were, you got a free locker.