Aurora Glyph Hack Challenge

Comments

• I love the effort in making events more global so every agent can enjoy and earn a medal, but I thing the game has to be renewed with new features to really bring something new to it. 

• I hope prime works better for glyphing as I’m having major dramas with the glyph not showing and you have to either close the app or keep doing request key or complex hack glyph very very annoying and time consuming. I don’t want to go back to redacted for this challenge!

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

It should have been the same as the Translator points, with badge levels set accordingly.

• rz231rz231 ✭✭✭

far too many Heatsinks and Multihacks stored in our inventory. Why not burn them for a stupid challenge...

• For this challenge, sadly, I will have to go back to using redacted.

I am certainly going to be using the "less" command to avoid collecting loads of keys I don't want. With Prime getting stuck in the command channel when glyph hacking, redacted is the way to go.

I would really love to use Prime but it's going to be so frustrating and time wasting every time it hangs.

• xabelxxabelx ✭✭
    edited August 2019

It does not promote playing into groups. If you play alone, you need to visit 334 portals waiting 10 minutes on each portal (about 56 hours needed without heat sinks). Two players playing together need 250 portals spending 15 minutes on each portal (62,5 hours without heat sinks). And then, in order to get a small advance you need to gather other 7 player in order to make an L8 portal (8 players would need, in the best scenario, only 200 portals, spending 20 minutes on each portal. That is, about 67 hours needed without heat sinks). So, there is no advantage into playing with other players, and the overall time needed is far greater than the previous challenge (I spent about 16-18 hours driving by car hacking 750 unique portals in around my area).

An option would be hacking 1000 different portals, but I am not going to drive hundreds of kilometers, spending about 20 hours in my car

• Seeing how many flak Prime gets for their gylph hacking, I'll take the time to say that as a Prime only user, I encountered very few problems with gylph hacking in Prime. Any delay is easily noticeable, when the gylph command channel doesn't start giving me gylph in 3 seconds or so, one or two LESS commands is all it needs to restart the gylph hack.

• dcgTokedcgToke ✭✭
    edited August 2019

@RedSoloCup

Good morning!

Do normal hacks interfere with the glyph hacks of the same level?

• KatthKatth ✭✭✭

I understand the thoughts behind this challenge and that you will need some teamwork to reach the 4th and 5th glyph sequence, but you are making it incredibly hard and way too complicated for yourself and for the players.

If only there would be a way of tracking which portals and which sequences you've done correctly.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Ninatic is trying to make the event fair, or at least fairer for those living in rural areas who have no L8 portals or very few portals above L6.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

We earn medal?

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Prime almost exclusively and also glyph hack almost exclusively. I've encountered very few problems. A few days ago, I did go back and do a glyph hack in Redacted, and boy was it slow.

• PlSpPlSp ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I made check-sheet for this challenge ;)

Maybe... works fine :p

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10S983BAxuVavdh0kEjTxCjx9T0ypKcDFWB84M-wdb4k/edit?usp=sharing

• isorhizaisorhiza ✭✭✭
    • Agent Smith and a friend(s) upgrades Portal A again and successfully completes the four character Glyph hack sentence. They earn another point.

Does Agent Smith and a friend(s) each have a chance to earn one point? Or only the fastest one can earn one "unique" point?

By August 26th at 5pm UTC, Agents must meet a global challenge threshold of 36,000,000 combined Glyph points in order to stop Aurora.

What this "combined Glyph points" mean? Sum of glyph points of all the agents participated in? Or sum of "unique" glyph points for all portals?

• What's wrong with that though? Aren't we trying to encourage socialization in the game?

If you want to solo glyph, you should be able to do it. If you want to farm glyph, same thing.

• DrThodDrThod ✭✭✭

I have to say - I personally love the new challenge and think it will be easier for me to do as the Myriad challenge.

In my view the 5 points per portal is a red herring. It is possible to get up to five - but the sweet spot seems to be 2-3 points per portal. My playstyle means that I will get 2 points in most cases anyhow (with minor changes). With 0%/43%/33% more needed for bronze/silver/gold this will be easier.

But what I haven't seen mentioned here: Niantic increased the overall goal from 13 million Myriad to 36 million Nemesis. This is +177% on the goal or +24% if you look at what was achieved during Myriad.

I wrote a quick post on my blog with more info: https://drthod.com/the-aurora-glyph-hack-challenge-planning-ahead/

I might do a second one outlining why I think we will miss the global goal / that Niantic is slightly too optimistic here.

• NineBerryNineBerry ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Your logic is off because you don't have to wait at a portal. Just return later on.

Say you have 30 portals in a park and play with one or more buddies and all portals are neutral.

Phase 1: Together capture all the portals with 1 Reso and glyph hack them at L1.

Phase 2: Do a second tour of the same portals, upgrade them to L2 and glyph hack.

Phase 3: Do a third tour of the same portals, upgrade them to L3. L4 or L5 and glyph hack.

Phase 4: Do a fourth tour of the same portals, upgrade them to L6 or L7 and glyph hack.

Result: Four hack points per Portal (120 hack points from just 30 portals) without ever having to wait for cool-down at any portal.

----------------

This (Walking multiple rounds in circles, visiting a portal multiple times) was the only way of doing farms to farm items before frackers, multihacks and heat sinks existed and some people still do that today I have heard ^^

• xabelxxabelx ✭✭
    edited August 2019

If you have several parks (with dozens of portals inside) in your city yes, it works. But probably in you city too, there's only one park with 30 portals or less. In order to reach the 1000 glyph target you will need to visit other portals, probably alone, outside your city

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

It is not even hard,it's brutal level. 1 thousand glyph-hacks for gold. I think i will take bronze one,hope it will be not very ugly one.

• I will say I have to disagree and I have converted to prime. I micro field a lot which means a lot of key farming and a lot of glyphs (I’m nearing triple onyx for glyph) I do multiple more , less, complex glyphs and nothing I tend to shut the App down which is very frustrating and time consuming I wish there was an easy fix but there isn’t unfortunately. I will see how I go when I start the challenge but feel I may go redacted :(

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, please. Cassandra Neutralizer was way more harder than this. That required finding 1000 different, opposite-faction portals. This challenge lets you reuse portals (to a certain extent) and it doesn't matter what faction owns the portal.

• I see a lot of complains. Its a challenge people...

1) You live on a low density portal area? Get to level 10 and Nominate many portals for future events. In the last year my town density has grown up from 300-400 portals to over 1000.

2) Cant travel? Dont tavel. Its just a medal you wont get, There are many i did not get cause I was newbie or did not started to play.

3) Dont want to use HS or MH? Do not use them. No need to, go to High density portals, I dont live on a very density city but we have a decent city to play, we have about 10 places with over 40 portals(zoo, big parks, colleges, civic centers, historical centers), We have already a plan, go on day 1 to one area with 65 portals, go glyph hack them as L1, return, upgrade to L2 and glyph hack them, etc. No need to wait or use HS. Use common sense.

This event is not so hard if you plan with your local team.

• Hi. Being an event in which both factions add up to benefit each other. Can groups of both factions be assembled, or cross-faction groups to be releasing and updating portals to take advantage of all the sequences (1-5 glyphs), without being considered a trap or Are the accounts of those involved at risk? Is it legal to do so in this event, for that particular purpose? add glyph points

• RedSoloCupRedSoloCup ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you can do the math and compare things like that. For Myriad, 30 Portals counted as 30 Points. For Aurora, 30 Portals can count up to 150 points. It is very likely that 150 hacks for Myriad will also take you about as long as hacking those 30 Portals give times each. So the % increase of the goal number is irrelevant as a comparison or indicator. Of course I'm using data representing average game play in an urban setting. But since that is the vast majority of players, I'm confident the hypothesis will hold true for most.