MUFG/Quantum nerfed, ok, can we get VRLA back?

GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

MUFG/Quantum capsules were a boon for legit players who wanted more Very Rare Link Amps.

Now that the capsules are nerfed, there's no way to get new VRLA.

i would love to see those hackable again.

Comments

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want them to be hackable, since they are useless to the average agent, but it would be awesome if they could be codes we could win or get for challenges. Same with Extremely Rare Shields.

• DrThodDrThod ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Excuse my ignorance: is a VRLA the same as the Softbank Ultra Link?

These are still hackable. They are the second least common item (after Quantum Capsule) but they drop now and then.

Edit: My best guess 1 in 1000 or 2000 hacks compared to 1 in 5000 for Quantum capsule.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

no vr link amps cannot be hacked, they only can be hacked at special portals at special events and with them u can link very far, much longer then normal link amps.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrThod This thing:

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrThod here is a good explanation of the difference between the three types of Link Amps:

VRLAs give tremendous range, especially on high level portals. They allow links over oceans, like California to Hawaii, or Eastern US to islands in the Atlantic, or maybe even Iceland and France. They enable Giga-Fields, fields that are measured in Billions of MU.

Softbanks are a lot more useful to the average agent, giving increased range, but more importantly more links. Plus, they stack allowing even more links.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

They are not. Here's a screenshot of both for comparison.

• Um aumenta a distancia

O outro aumenta a distância e o numero de links de saida

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I think VR duplication was nerfed in order to try to stifle gear-sellers and people who multi account.

• So punish/remove the feature from everyone because Niantic Ops can't develop player accountability tools and ban cheaters piecemeal? All this does to the cheaters is signal to them they need a bunch of new accounts to make up the difference... and with Niantic being lax with banning them, they'll continue to flourish.

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard this claim before. I have participated in 15 anomalies, and i have never seen any "special portals or special events" that allowed you to hack them.

Can you provide more specifics on this?

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

There were restocking portals as rewards for success in the 2018 DarkXM event (starburst and link-pair city challenges). In some of those cities, those portals (apparently inadvertently) gave out VRLAs. This was the only time VRLAs were hackable to my knowledge.

Aside from that, they have only been available from codes, most commonly from a ZipCar promotion, but also handed out in some other circumstances.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i know only they are super -rare not even anomalies u can hack these, again only on very special occasions and events so if u have any hold to them very tight.. sad they are so hard to aquire but thats the truth :/

• KatthKatth ✭✭✭

Turn it around. People can't behave themselves with the rules Niantic sets. If people didn't cheat Niantic wouldn't have to take counter measures. It's the people that's the problem, not Niantic.

Also I don't think that multi-account is the sole reason for removing VR duplication. The VR duplication completely ruined the VR item economy in the game. People with over 200-300 virussus is far from uncommon. Thing is that if you want more items you should go out and hack more, instead of just sitting at home and wait for a capsule to duplicate it lol.

• Kevinsky86Kevinsky86 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

That's simplifying things quite a bit, in my optinion there's more to this nerf then curbing cheaters and backpackers.

There was also a possibility of legit item farming with agents that are simply inactive but still breed expensive items for their faction. Or less legit item farming with people that just had family members or friends create accounts to do the same. This took away greatly from whats supposed to be the "Very Rare" aspect of the items, we've locally had times where AXA/Aegis would very casually be blanket-deployed over entire sections of the city even after coordinated destroy rounds that was just ample supply to redeploy heavy.

MUFG/Quantum enabled primarily the faction that already has the advantage with the higher player numbers in any given area and I thusly feel this has been a mistake from the start. I'd absolutely vote against bringing VR duplication back, and instead just making that one VR item we can't hack, hackable. Ingress should reward only on those that actually open their scanners and play.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I think we all agree that source problem is multiaccs.

I'm quite happy Q Caps don't sprout VR anymore since I myself was one of those stores, almost not being able to have normal gameplay because lack of space.

But if the target is to reduce the numbers, only way to do it is searching and terminating backpacks! What is the use if any backpack can just hack them and store like if nothing happened? Who is being really affected in this nerf?

Recent strike on sellers was a good punch, but it's just a glass of water into the fire.

"Ingress should reward only on those that actually open their scanners and play."

@Kevinsky86 I would love to hear suggestions on that matter!

• Kevinsky86Kevinsky86 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

What is the use if any backpack can just hack them and store like if nothing happened? Who is being really affected in this nerf?

The difference in implication between any ingress account idlely multiplying expensive items or having to actually be used to actively hack portals would seem quite obvious to me?

One requires minimal use interaction in the form of periodically checking and unloading generated items, the other quite bit of active portal hacking, even if you're sitting on a couch portal that is a fair amount of work. It's just a button press, especially if you don't glyph, but dealing with the cooldowns alone requires an amount of attention that goes way beyond logging in to check your capsule status once in a blue moon.

Ok, I guess my local cheaters are just more dedicated than yours xD

Is not a bad idea, nevertheless, that might work.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they should stop all duplication for all items. If you want gear go hack it. Actually play the game.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a suggestion a while back of having breeder capsules that require walking. They only hold 1 item but you are guaranteed a duplicate. The distance you have to walk depends on rarity.

How about giving dupicated items a lifespan? If not used before YYYY/MM/DD it will turn into XM (as if it was recycled).

• This would be so easy. Just make quantums duplicate an item with a different value number for each item and then have each new value unable to be dropped.

• Also read this one, I like this idea of having to hatch capsules like eggs in Pokemon, but not if they do the Pokemon thing where you can **** Google fit to it and make all your steps count. Because that would essentially undo the nerf quite a bit.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

There may have been other reasons as well, or gaming balances issues that they wanted to tackle, but only NIA knows for certain.

• caderouxcaderoux ✭✭✭

I agree. If gear-sellers and multi-accounts are under control as Niantic claims, there is no reason that Quantums can't go back to their original behavior.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was truly the concern (and I've heard that many times), then the answer is easy: allow VR duplication in Quantums for agents who have recursed.

I don't see why, don't you get flooded with VR stuff each time you level up?

It's been some time now and I've noticed that my gameplay has "improved" since VR duplication was removed.

Also, inventory administration is part of the game and it includes the knowledge of when and where to use VR stuff.

I haven't recursed yet and I am not missing extra VR stuff at all.