Suggestion - New Ingress Prime Options

I suggest adding a few new options to the Ingress prime scanner to to help newbies learn the scanner. The options may make the UI a bit clunky for veteran players. but, if these are options, then veteran players can adjust the options to better suit their playstyle.

Further, I suggest that if this is implemented, then players who first boot up the scanner would get an option asking if they are new to ingress or not. Players who say they are new get the beginner settings, and veteran players get the veteran settings.

The options I suggest are:

Always Show Glyph Hack Results: Beginner - Enabled. Veteran - Disabled

When enabled, pressing the "Done" button after a glyph hack will show the glyph hack results screen.

When disabled, pressing the "Done" button after a glyph hack will return the player back to the map screen. This is the current scanner behavior.

Press and Hold for Submenus: Beginner - Disabled. Veteran - Enabled

When enabled, the player must hold down a button to get to the appropriate submenu. For instance, to get to the hack submenu, one would hold down the hack button and drag to the action they want to perform. Pressing a button that leads to a submenu performs a default action. This is the current scanner behavior.

When disabled, pressing a button that has a submenu will bring up that submenu, no holding required. There will be no "default" action taken from pressing buttons like the hack button. Once the appropriate submenu is open, the player must press a button on the submenu to perform an action, or press anywhere else on the scanner to close the submenu.

Press and hold for stronger attacks - Beginner - Disabled. Veteran - Enabled.

When enabled, the player presses and holds the attack button to start the targeting animation, then releases to determine the strength of the attack. This is the current scanner behavior.

When disabled, the player will press the attack button once to start the targeting animation, then presses fire again to determine the strength of the attack.

Comments

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

When disabled, pressing the "Done" button after a glyph hack will return the player back to the map screen. This is the current scanner behavior.

That's literally what the Done button is for. I'm not sure why you want to break it by making it show the results anyway.

There will be no "default" action taken from pressing buttons like the hack button.

There is no submenu that does exactly what pressing the Hack button does. So it needs to have a default option, even if that means pressing the hack button again once the menu has appeared. However, I dispute that making someone press a button twice to get an effect is going to improve the user experience.

When disabled, the player will press the attack button once to start the targeting animation, then presses fire again to determine the strength of the attack.

This will make it difficult to not care about the attack bonus. And again, you are forcing someone to press the button twice to achieve the effect that they might have expected to get by pressing it once.

(And yes I realise you are positing these as options that can be turned on or off; but you are also suggesting setting the default values of these options for beginners, and my opinion is that these behaviours are not better; moreover, beginners are also not that likely to go to the options screen to change them.)

• When glyph hacking, I thought the "done" button was there to stop the timer. So, when first playing, I thought dropping back to the map screen after glyph hacking was the intended behavior for all glyph hacks. I only found out that there was a glyph hack results screen after watching a Youtube video. After that, I only found out how to get to the results screen (by waiting a few seconds after entering the last glyph) after submitting a trouble ticket to Ingress.

That is the original reason why I made this post.

At first I was going to suggest that happen for all glyph hacks. But, I imagine that veteran players who have memorized what all the glyphs mean would probably be bothered by seeing the glyph hack results screen after every hack, making me think that it should be an option in the scanner.

I was going to suggest that one UI tweak, But then I realized there were other features that I wasn't aware of at first when I played Ingress. So, I thought of UI tweaks that would highlight some of these "advanced" or "hidden" fatures.. That's where the rest of the post came from. Maybe tooltips could help newbies just as much and be less intrusive? I thought of that, but didn't put that in my post.

As for extra submenus, the "boost charge all" button seems to yeild an option when held down. I don't know what that extra button does to be though.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

As for extra submenus, the "boost charge all" button seems to yeild an option when held down. I don't know what that extra button does to be though.

It doesn't - at least, I can't make one appear when I hold down the "boost charge all" option.

However, the "charge" button on the portal details screen does do this. I believe the pop-up button is the "boost charge" button but I have to admit I don't fully understand this mechanism.

• I thought it was the boost charge all button. Thank you for the correction, and Sorry about that. ):

And yeah, I don't know what that extra button does either.