Let's bring back the Seer medal.

grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Exploring and finding new portals has always been a part of the Ingress Game. Previously there was a medal for it and Agents submitted so many portals, some of questionable value that it broke the process.

Well, the process is back and there are protections now to prevent bad portals but more and more it seems it's less Ingress Agents submitting portals than PoGo diletantes who are only playing Ingress to submit portals for pokestops.

If there was an altered continuation of the Seer Badge or a new Badge you can 1) Reward Ingress Agents for playing the part of the game that is exploring and finding portals and 2) reward the pogo people with something that might retain them to actually play ingress for ingress and not just stop because they've reached level 10. 3) also adds a badge levelers can use to level up.

Come on, man, it's past time.

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Seer badge is dead.

Another name for the OPR approved portals, maybe? However, what would the tiers be? Should there even be tiers?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

10, 50, 100, 250, 500

Call it Portal Genesis

• What about agents who got some tier of the seer medal, then had additional submissions from the early days that sat in the queue for years before finally being approved in OPR? We have at least one agent in our area who would have received the next tier based on old submissions that eventually got approved via OPR.

grendelwulf states some pretty good reasons why the medal should be brought back; you simply state the medal is dead. Care to elaborate on why?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

@grsmhiker all old submissions made and accepted before they went offline counted toward seer. They should have tiered up. I know an agent who went from no medal to bronze when they released all the d submissions to opr.

Because there's a limit on submissions in its current form. I think seer would be alright if that onyx requirement was removed (who came to that idea? A jump from 500 to 5k?) but also it shouldn't count any progress in the game for agents leveling up to make the exploration its own game. I don't think badges can be altered in this manner.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd set the tiers to 5/20/100/250/1000. The idea is good, from my point of view.

I wouldn't worry about PoGO players abusing for this badge since they tend to buy L10 accounts.

A possible solution to this could be to automatically remove portals created by banned players after some time.

Yeah, I don't see the badge coming back ever in the way it was. I feel like a one off badge showing you know how Portal guidelines work might be a better step. Ingress still has coded this as "Phase 2" for portal nominations

• I would love to see a badge for it but the lack of it won't stop me from submitting. It gets me to really explore areas to find hidden gems. Some recognition of continued contribution to the network really would be nice though.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

Seer is dead. Let it go.

The badge is bad for the game? xDDDD

More like players abused to get it. Why not removing all abusable badges too? Best logic.

Delusional... xDDDD

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Soon (TM) ...

• Hey wayfarer is a quite powerful tool to seperate valid wayspot candidates from those that do not fit. Especially the additional foto of the surrounding is a big help in order to determine a valid portal.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

haha,,, no idea where you are but that is definitely not the case every where.....

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

Seer should stay dead considering a lot of low quality submissions I see in Wayfarer every day

If anything, they should change it so a portal (point of interest) requires another different agent submitting an additional photo in Ingress (or another app) before being globally accepted in Pokemon / WU / Catan

An approved portal should be worth a 100 'Recon' points though, since they technically OPR agreements

• InerasIneras ✭✭✭

I am interested in seeing the numbers of Wayspot submissions per Niantic game after Pokémon GO players were given access to Wayfarer. As far as crowdsourcing goes, we now have more contributors than ever before. That means more nominations and more invalid portal reports. In the grand scheme and in the long term, Niantic's system is working as intended. The Seer medal can safely be brought back to Ingress.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost to 100 approved nominations. Would love to have the medal added to my agent profile. Onyx seems unrealistic, as always, lol, but, I'd be happy going after a gold seer medal

• I started the game just after the portal submissions feature was removed, but if I could be eligible for seer I'd be just a few portals away from platinum. So, while I recognize that I may be a little biased, I wish the medal would come back. I think the submission cap and OPR (as flawed as it is) have been successful at reducing most of the junk submissions.

• The Pokemon submissions arent worse than those we had back in the old days, and nowadays we are able to easily sort them out.

• There are players with old gold or platinum Seer medal. But when you look in detail a noticeable number of their submissions was just done by sending web based stock pictures via email to nia in the very early days of submissions. Then submissions came back to ingress in 2017 and you immediately noticed the same again with 3rd party stock pictures being used to conveniently submit lots of POI without actually visiting them. Then PoGo came and suddenly OPR was swamped with post boxes, lamp posts and the attempts to get every single piece of equipment on a playground or every single piece of outdoor exercise equipment approved to be a portal. And in addition the number of remote submissions by ‘unknown’ using 3rd party stock pictures can still be found. So we went from fake/dodgy submissions to also a huge number of nonsense being submitted.

The problem is that the medals will be designed for quantity instead of quality. So as long as onyx Seer or a new version will be based on a large quantity of submissions you will run the risk of some/most players subbing fakes or just utter rubbish.

As someone with only 33 Seer but over 350 approved portals the recognition for me comes from seeing on the scanner that other players visit and play with the POI I which I actually visited and then ‘created’ in the game. But I think that idea of a medal for it was as ill conceived as the OPR or guardian medal.

• Bring back everything... why take medals away at all...

Badges are the only tool Niantic has to force playerbase doing some specific action.

Think about what interest could Niantic have to bring latest badges...

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

I don't remember,i created 29 new poi but i started playing after seer was discontinued. Yes,i'd like to have some medal in profile for that,but if it won't count that poi's which i created - then i won't submit even graffity. Just as with recon/scout,i scanned approximately 60 poi's and after another badge began,not counting previous scans,i decided not to do any more scans.

• WikiBlueWikiBlue ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

More badges are always welcome, but if i where Niantic i wouldn't go for out of reach onix medals like the scout stuff... that's just asking for trouble and agents who try to walk a thin line.