Silly OPR Game "Find the Dog"

I have started a bit of a game with my local OPR reviewers, that is harmless, but has added some fun to the reviewing process. Anyone who has gotten submissions from Indiana lately and noticed that there are random dog cameos in some supporting photos may blame me. The idea is to have the dog in the area photo, but NOT in the actual portal photo, although my dog has snuck into the corner of one by mistake. It has been really fun, while doing OPR, to occasionally come across a random dog in one of the "surrounding area" photos, and we've been jokingly keeping a "dog" score where you see how many dogs you can find, while reviewing OPR. If anyone sees a dog in a submission, feel free to post and add one to your dog score, and I'll keep an eye out on my end for other fun little additions to the supporting/area photos!

Comments

• ▶ <PHOTO_TAG> [Submitter Identifiable] Use for Portal Candidates where the photo includes extraneous objects or identifiers that may not necessarily be part of the object.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

He isn't abusing the portal photo for submission but he is using the support photo for more than it is meant for which should not affect the portals worthiness but may annoy some agents. This could lead to a slippery **** though we had an agent in the Austin area including his dogs in the portal pics he was submitting for the actual submission.

• Ech0TomEch0Tom ✭✭✭

Yeah dont encourage people to use OPR for troll games. Thats just super annoying

• NelkonNelkon ✭✭✭

I thinks that this is a nice idea. In the past I used to place my ingress scanner at some portal pictures that I submitted.

Now I can place it in the supporting picture as a little easter egg for my fellow OPR reviewers without compromising the actual portal pictures which shouldn't include personal information. Thanks for your inspiration!

• How many of the Austin portals made it through with the dog in them? My dog did sneak into one of mine when he was moving around and I didn't notice, but the point of it is to keep it to the OPR photo only and only in the cases where it won't significantly impact the OPR process. Some portals really NEED the surrounding photo to support the submission, but others are a little more cut and dry and the supporting photo and statement become a formality.

@Nelkon Those are great! But, yeah, some people may be a little upset about those as actual portal photos, whereas you can have a little fun with the supporting image!

• You are entitled to your opinion on the matter. I don't consider it a troll-game since it's not in any way generating negativity towards anyone, or harming anyone. Trolling is generally defined as being antagonistic, inflammatory, negative. Personally I remind people that this is a GAME and we are not paid for OPR, it's something we do, for free, to improve the database and the games. Therefore, having a little fun while doing it, particularly in a way that makes others smile too, is something that I am not at all ashamed of.

@lokpro Yep! That's why the it's just the supporting photo, and not the official portal photo

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

For one when submitting portals and these types of games are wasting OPR reviewers time and resources. It isn't meant for you to play games with it is supposed to be a supporting document not a play toy.

• Except that it really doesn't take extra time away from reviewers just having a dog in the photo that is of the surrounding area. shrug I thought people would enjoy something a little lighthearted and more fun, in between all of the complaints and struggles and frustrations over the problems with OPR. Problems that are not made worse by taking some things a little more light-heartedly.

And also, I am female, In spite of so many people's assumptions that just because I play online games I must be a "he"

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElfFromSpace I hope to see a supporting dog photo soon! While I don't directly review your area I could get it if one is upgraded. So hopefully soon :)

Keep up the harmless good fun and remember most of these people are OG Satly Players lol

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Did you not hear about the agent giving the half moon in the support pic? A few weeks back it has already been abused. It is more out of caution than being a prude.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge difference of having someones dog somewhat visible in a supporting photo than someone mooning. Mooning is offensive and inappropriate.

• I don't know who it was back west who had their dog in the submissions but I'll admit I'm a **** for a cute pup and I approved those because there's really no harm in having a dog in the pic.

• You’ve already wasted more time right here arguing this than all reviewers total will waste seeing a dog in a picture. As far as resources, extra pixels may or may not be generated, depending on what the background was previously.

• If the submitter is identifiable because of something in the supporting photo, the correct scoring would be a rejection.

If a dogs in the supporting photo, but I can't identify the submitter from it, that's fine.

• Since when does submitter identifiable matter in the support photo? I don't WANT to be in mine, but support photos don't make it into the game, so it's inconsequential.

• I approve of mild trolling, but as stated, you become identifiable and someone may troll you back (with a 1*)

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

OPR isn't meant to be a game though? Agents already have enough issues with people doing stupid things. Do we really need to support people being silly in the pictures? This is just common respect to the agents voting.

• If anything from the submission makes the submitter identifiable, it's reason to reject.

Be it text, something in the photo etc.

• Has Niantic actually spelled this out somewhere? OPR training video hasn't even been updated since support photos came out, and between deleted AMAs and rarely updated guidelines, I have a hard time finding things. Since it's not the portal photo, I don't sweat what's in it (people, license plates, etc.). I'm not supporting photobombing, but I can't find any official rules against it.

Also the *anything* making submitter identifiable is hard to judge. With local POIs in OPR, I can tell who submitted it 90% of the time just from the description text. That doesn't make it a signature to anyone on OPR seeing it elsewhere though.

• That's true, and it is a risk I will continue to take until I am forced not to. I HOPE that most reviewers will be doing OPR for the purpose of improving the game and will not let their biases cause them to reject things for personal reasons. I know this isn't always the case and some people will troll back, but in ways that have an actual negative impact. The good thing is that I also know that a number of people have been amused and appreciate the minor break in the monotony of reviewing, so far it has balanced out!

Thanks for the feedback, even from those who have different views and especially bringing up points about Niantic's policies. At this time, unless it is spelled out, it is reasonable to assume that the rule against identifying items in a submission applies to the part that will go live, the photo and main description.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

Once in a while, I see a dog in a submission, typically some far away mountaintop/remote place someone obviously hiked to. I think of this post every time :)

• edited October 2019

Any portal submissions where elements are posed in the foreground (people, animals, smurf figurines) get a "Low Quality Photo" from me.

I haven't encountered any shenanigans in the supporting photo yet, but we'll see how it goes.

Post edited by Perringaiden on
  • Not so much identifying the portal submitter, but any portal with personal information that identifies a player, is under the Abuse category for rejection reasons.