Machina is just killing player engagement.

Comments

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

There's the rub.. you don't see a problem with this. I do. And I'm not alone. We do not have enough agents to keep this under control. And nobody has enough storage to keep keys and cubes in hand for recharging reclaimed portals to stop the spread. I'm sorry, but your view is severely skewed to your own experience.

So if you're bored. Go take a drive. There's a cluster you can clear right here:

And here's 2 more

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

What's worse, if you have a field up that is stopping the red from growing. Someone hits said field, in less than 2 hours Machina will have you blocked in multiple places.

But what's even worse, as Machina grows, the game itself breaks more and more. Streetsweeper is around 20 ish hours, and will randomly jump back to 12 sometimes, but usually its very off. The ghost links we recently had is another byproduct of too much Machina. Portals I reclaimed over the weekend, other faction made 'em grey, and they are already red again 2 days later. As @Azhreia mentioned, you can't keep up with it. Maybe if we went xfac and spent a solid few weeks at it, would could cut it back some. But the rate it grows, and where it grows (all the places that are grey for a reason, no one goes there) it's near impossible to keep at bay.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

I went out and cleared a lot of red to make triangles in a little area of town. Not that big of a deal really. Just eliminates big fielding but that's been over for years anyway. At least there's some type of opposition out there. If red is taking over a city then it probably means nobody plays so it didn't even affect anyone.

At least we still have Ingress for now, play while you can. If nobody plays then it goes away for sure.

I don't think machina is stopping large fields it's more because there are no players left that play that way. Machina is giving people things to do in their area where before there was no turnover. When only one faction plays in an area and there's no competition the game gets boring. At least now there's a red faction that plays. If the red faction would start fielding it would be even better.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

When yall go play call of duty, fortnite, or battlefield, do you like playing with bots or real people?

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year when I was playing each weekend, I would play for 5, sometimes 6 hours during the night (was nightshift so neered something to keep me awake), it was fun the first couple of times, then not so fun, then it pretty much ruined my enjoyment, spending hours clearing and fielding for it all to be gone before I'd even gone to sleep, k owing that the 5+ hours were basically wasted in less than an hour. Now, when i play, maybe an hour is playing, the rest is me wandering about, trying g to get the step count up and playing the other game

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also blocking long (1000km+) links for major ops meaning someone has to drive for a day or more just to drop a red link then drive back again and pray Machina doesn't block in the meantime.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhm, a lot of people still DO play that way. Now we even have trouble making small (say 10km) fields.

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭

The anomoly type players who do little game in town centres love machina, I'm with you though it's driven players off the game. I tried to clear machina to make some fields last week, used 200 L8 xmp and hardly made a dent. I used to play everyday and spend money in store but now I don't do either.

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭

The question also stands, why should I spend money on fuel which is very expensive to go and **** red portals every time I want to play? There's a cost of living crisis and many people struggle with even paying £5 a month for CORE, let alone £10+ on fuel just to **** machina to make some layered fields.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience shows that the cluster is weak in the bud, destroyed the first 2-4 portals and that's it, there is no cluster. Travel to other cities? For what? I protect my city, I have a relatively clean place here. There are a few red portals in the outlying area, but they don't pose a threat to us. It is not necessary to embrace everything, the entire region in which there are 24 cities and more than 500 villages. Start cleaning in your neighborhood and you will be clean, and in other cities, if you really need it, hire additional agents.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you have so many red portals? Can you give me a hundred? I would be glad.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Сlearing the red is also part of the game. And the most interesting.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

And I consider it a good sign. Now, to make a big cover, you have to try very hard. the game evolves and becomes more hardcore.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

It can look so in a way, i have no idea what they are trying to do with team red or not ? Why not make a global event and give players a motivation to hunt all that red.... And we dont know if the ingress team got affected with all the layoffs who knows, less resources for them now. Lack of global badge events isnt really going to grow the playerbase that niantic claims they want but they do the complete opposite so far this year.

If you are the type that only plays by vehicle then I could see where random red links that cross over areas could get annoying to clear but if you are just a micro fielder then they aren't really that much in the way. Just work around the links. Red blocking links in accessible areas become real issues though. And that breaks the game. If they remove inaccessible portals then it could help. But who determines inaccessible? It's been a problem since the very beginning so don't expect anything to change. Machina could eventually end up being the most active team in the game.

• I'd say this is representative of the lack of any engagement, which we all agree is a problem.

I would also agree that in areas where there are no players, Machina should lie dormant. No activity, no growth. I'll also point out that the original proposal grew far slower (only every 72hrs) and could be penned in by links to prevent expansion, so you could corral it and essantially ignore it, if there were players around who didn't want to deal with it. Simply maintain a field over the last remaingin red node in the regional cell and it stays put. (Then opposition 'saboteurs' can get out there and mess things up as a gameplay experience.) It would also be more likely to stay close to itself, looking for nearest portals etc.

The choices they've made in their implementation of an AI enemy can be fixed, like the link crossing. And the weakness of the portals means they're easily destroyed.

• Dial back the speed they expand,
    • Prioritize the nearest next portal instead of "Anything up to X limit",
    • Limit growth when there's no active players in the cell, and
    • Let players hack them for the actual level of gear from the portal.

And the concept would be far more manageable and worthwhile.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

We have local agents who would rather destroy the blue fields, than make their own green fields or even take out the red stuff that takes next to no xmps to hit. I did enjoy that the one ENL player who took out a bunch of my stuff, did manage to **** some red. Tho, he didn't bother to capture it. Easy points for me.

The main problems are that Machina is too aggressive. Field goes down of any color, and normally Machina will have it blocked in 1-5 places within 2 hours. Thankfully most of my stuff is smaller, but still dealing with traffic, and hoping you can actually access some of the red that is blocking you. As I've mentioned before, stuff in closed locations, that pogo people submitted, are often pain points. Same with portals on private property or incorrect locations. Silly bridges over a creek in the back of a inaccessible country club or a gazebo or anything in that type of location is getting to be the most annoying ones for me. Some of these Country Clubs are the ones that have a waiting list to even join. Put there are portals somewhere waaaay out on the course that people submitted. meh.

I like taking down fields so machina can grow. Makes for easy ap later. It's just a new way to play the game.