Some Overclock feedback

InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, I really, really like Overclock and had a blast playing with it yesterday and today. It's satisfying to see where our scans go after all this time. That being said, there are a few things that I'd personally like to see changed.

• The timer for L4+ portals needs to be extended. 2D glyphs are no problem with the timers we have, but with Overclock we need to move around the portal and find the next glyph. If you are not well versed in Glyphs and don't know a lot of them, it is near impossible to complete an Overclock in the timeframe given to us. I haven't tried L8 portals yet, but if it's just 17 seconds like I've heard the time will probably run out before I input the 4th glyph.
  • The glyph board has to be brought up with a button every time you want to input the next glyph which wastes the already limited time. There either needs to be an easier or faster way to bring the board up or the timer should stop while you input the glyphs.
  • According to the tutorial, the 3D glyph is supposed to glow brighter once you look at it from the right angle. If this is actually implemented then it is extremely hard to see, I could not determine if the glyph glowed once. I don't know how easy it is to implement, but I'd love to see the (outer) cube of the terminal dim when you are further away from the right angle and brighten when you are getting closer. Either that, or a makeover of the glowing glyph idea 🙈
  • At the moment, it is unclear how many scans need to be done to activate Overclock and how far along a portal already is. This might be migrated with the public release of the Wayfarer app this summer, but it would be great to have the same display as the Wayfarer app with the accepted Scans visible in the scanner itself, somewhere under the Scout Controller for example.

It could also be that I'm just bad at glyphing and need to git good lol

Tagged:

Comments

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ddm027ddm027 ✭✭

Btw, there’s something about VPS being active and the portal being able to overclock.

I’ve check ONE portal that had vps ready, went there and couldn’t do. More scan pops up and I went back home… why is that?

I will add images to the portal and location if anyone can explain to me, I would be glad. Thanks!

• Localizability needs to be good, not fair.

No idea though how you change that (if you even can)

• AgentX1976AgentX1976 ✭✭✭

I asked for a couple of portals to get VPS activated and overnight they were. I went to try and play with the overclocking this morning at those activated portals but they were saying that they were not yet activated. Do we have to wait until after a normal portal sync for them to properly work?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently yes, I'm hearing 24 hours since activation.

Does this mean the Wayfarer app is coming out? It's pretty crazy to advertise this when VPS enabled is a minority and activation requires a smaller number.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, the Localizability needs to be "Good". You'll need to scan the portal at least 5 more times to attempt a reactivation during which the Localizability is reevaluated. If there are enough good, new scans it should switch to Good, otherwise rinse and repeat until it is.

Localizability? I feel like localization would have been sufficient as the name to understand what that means in the sense of scanning

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Localisability is just Niantic's terminology for good SLAM at those wayspots.

Because

"SLAM" is offensive?

• Snyda1Snyda1 ✭✭✭

Dear @NianticBrian @NianticOfficial

Right now, overclock has a serious time issue 😅

I tried a lv8 Portal today (glyph pro, knowing every sentence). I got the first 2 right away - present & Chaos.

Create took me 3-4 seconds because of the bad angle I started with... But I was not even able to draw create anymore - time was up... 🤦

How about splitting the times in 2 systems?!

Watchtime: you only get certain Seconds to watch a 3D glyph - time decreases as lv rises...

Glyphtime: when entering the "drawing table" the glyphtime starts - and automatically ends when glyph is finished...

Then the next watchtime will start...

We would need like at least 4-5 seconds to watch for every glyph - even at a P8... 15 sec for drawing can stay 😅

If you see the 3D glyph after 1 sec already - you could still switch to drawing and add the remaining watchtime to the time Bonus 😏😉

Just an Idea 😇✌️

• I have activated around 20 portals in the wayfarer app. Some portals with minimum number of scans like 14 but also several portals with 40-60 scans already. A portal of an official church, visible on google maps and streetview, with 60 scans, a bunch of photo's.

All came back with localizability FAIR, so not useable for overclocking.

I can't imagine that adding another 5 scans on top the 20, 40 or 60 scan that are still uploaded will do the trick and I guess it's a problem on Niantic's / lightships side.

How can I solve this? I already filled a report and scanning all those portals an addition 5 times to re-activate with probably the same result is not a great option imo. Can a ingress moderator command on this issue?

• XQlusioNXQlusioN ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

From what I've seen, once activated, they always start at fair, took a few hours before some of them switched to good, probably some manual checks done by Niantic

• That sounds reassuring but 24hrs later they are still all 'fair'. I will give it some extra time though

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭

On June 2, I activated 18 portals in the Niantic Wayfarer app, One (with 66 scans) failed. The other 17 (with 10-109 scans) processed, and have Localization Fair still to this day (June 6).

I did many of the scans myself to get battle beacons for a mini-anomaly - I can assure you they are not of the ground or whatever. Additional scans I suppose were done by PokemonGo players for a challenge. Or an agent for a beacon.

I think Niantic made this big announcement WAY TOO SOON. They should have already removed low-quality scans, so the number on the wayspot is true. And, they should automatically activate every portal with enough scans - not rely on us to download another app to do it.

I'm thinking the only people who can overclock hack are people with a desk/couch portal that they scanned hundreds of times, to entertain themselves during the pandemic.

• All our activated portals on 3 and 4 of june are still all 'fair'. The only 4 'good' ones in our town are portals that were already activated in march and april.

I filled a report and i've got an answer back:

" This is a known issue but unfortunately we don't have a timeline for a fix or any other updates at this time. If any additional information is required , we will contact you. We appreciate bla bla... "

So, there is an issue and I really dislike the fact that they let the community doing all the additional scanning in the hope it will turn to 'good' without chances of succes, while they get the needed scans. They should've informed us and/or post pone the feature.

I would advise everyone to stop scanning until they openly fix this.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole reason is to let the community do the chores and send in all good scans to niantic.I would hate if this and team red is the future for ingress :/

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't let me enter a region.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

don't register from the app, I just dealt with this earlier

• I'm having fun with overclock. I'm trying to screenshot all the different 3D glyphs I find to document them. I'm also working on modeling the 3D glyphs in blender. I'll need to post these in a future post. But I've been getting better at these.

Overclock is a lot of work to make them even exist on the scanner.

I finally managed to do some overclock hacks and I'm wondering why I need to be within 20 meters to start it. That's half of the action radius (40 meters) and scanning never required to be in the middle of the actual portal. The surroundings are just as important as the actual portal features...which makes me wonder why I need to be unnecessarily precise on starting overclock.

It's just this level of accuracy is never possible and I was struggling to even get into the 20 meter range.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

What is the likelihood that granting overclock "inoculates" Against Machina?

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Overclock is a great feature, I like it! Today my first portal was activated. Now I will activate others, I thank Niantic for this!

• DizzyBumDizzyBum ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I finally got to try Overclock myself. I like the potential of what is basically Glyph Hack 2.0 but it feels a little rough at times. There's definitely a learning curve to figuring out the 3D glyphs and translating them to 2D. Like with regular glyph hacking, this will likely get easier over time as I learn the 3D-translated glyphs and possible phrases.

Sometimes I'll calibrate to the portal and place the cube, but then the cube will move somewhere behind me and I have to waste several seconds trying to find it with the scanner and then I'm almost out of time and can't get a single glyph entered. That's frustrating.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes the glyph itself will be extremely hard to read. The glowing line itself either doesn't appear, is very dim, or possibly even blends in with the background. (edit: I didn't realize, this is actually part of the mechanic, you have to be at the correct angle to get the glyph to glow, so that's on me!)

Finally, while I know that looking at the glyphs from different angles is the point, I wish I had some ability to rotate the cube to identify glyphs. That, or I wish the time limit was much longer to allow for time to walk around the cube to read the glyphs.

Overall, it feels rough right now, but I like the idea.

I also created a Lightship account to check out VPS wayspots in the area. I saw several with enough scans to activate, so I did that a couple weeks ago. All of them came back as "fair". A week later, a couple of them suddenly upgraded to "good" and got Overclock enabled. Not sure what happened on the backend, but I guess it's good to know that some wayspots might have their VPS rating upgraded over time. I know I did rescan and reactivate one or two of them, but not all of them. I'll check the Lightship forum to see if anyone has experienced similar behavior.

Post edited by DizzyBum on
  • starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

This game is too difficult and/or not well enough implemented to be "fun".

In a city centre with about 500 portals, as far as I can see, precisely one of those portals is enabled for Overclock (but it's hard to be sure because there is no reliable mechanism to find that out, short of visiting each portal individually). Trying an Overclock wastes four hacks on this portal, and if it doesn't work that's just annoying. (On one of my attempts today the cube just wasn't there, anywhere, to be seen.)

I cannot for the life of me work out how to determine what the correct viewing angle is. One time the cube just coincidentally plopped down at the correct angle and I was able to get all three glyphs in the time available (L5 portal). Other than that, what usually happens is that I walk round and round a bunch of unintelligible squiggly lines for 30 seconds and then it times out, game over. That's just not a satisfying way to waste four hacks on the only Overclock-enabled portal in town. If the glyph is supposed to glow brighter from the correct angle, I sure haven't noticed. If you put the cube down on the ground then maybe the correct viewing angle is actually unreachable because it's below ground level - then what do you do?

So out of eight tries so far on a L5 portal:

• 3 with total failure to divine any glyphs from the entrails
    • 2 where the mechanism did not work at all in the scanner but it still wasted four hacks on the portal
    • 1 where I entered the first glyph upside-down (nature vs civilization) and then time was over
    • 1 where I guessed the first glyph correctly without having reached the correct viewing angle and then time was over
    • 1 where I entered all three glyphs correctly

I'd love to be able to practice this to maybe get a bit better at it, but the game doesn't currently offer me that opportunity.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@starwort overclock is still very new and still buggy.

I still have not had a successful Overclock glyph due to bugs.

This doesn't mean that it is rubbish, quite the opposite. It is a fantastic implementation of VPS, and the right level of nerdy for a game that is Ingress.

Take a step back, and appreciate that you are actually interacting with a 4 dimensional object.

Specifically a 2 dimensional view of a 3D shadow of a 4D cube

4D involves time...so no, it's 3D

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Ok.

There is currently a mismatch between incentive and business. What is the best In-game way to fix the clear mismatch between getting Overclock activated and agents using it consistently?