Mass changes to portal coordinates by tiny increments
Multiple users have observed that portals have changed by ±0.000001 latitude/longitude in the last 48 hours. This has been reported in multiple countries globally.
- "Kanalen" was moved from 60.778883,9.9689 to 60.778882,9.9689
- "Holmvassdammen turskilt" was moved from 60.736472,9.911927 to 60.736471,9.911927
- "Hulme court Wall Art" was moved from -32.044750,115.811986 to -32.044751,115.811987
- "Swan River Dot Mural" was moved from -32.043374,115.81371 to -32.043375,115.81371
- "Pitman Park" was moved from -32.041533,115.814412 to -32.041533,115.814413
The changes in location always seem to be in a southwards or eastwards direction.
The changes are not rare/isolated. In some areas the mass changes have affected thousands of portals.
Wayfarer Ambassadors already raised this with the Niantic Wayfarer team. They have confirmed that the changes were not a result of any changes on a Wayfarer end. The Wayspots detailed we shared have not had any changes to their location details since the Wayspots were originally created. This indicates that the issue is with Ingress ingestion process, i.e. possibly how the lat/lng is being rounded.
The reason why this is an issue is because it has gameplay impacts on Ingress. The movements did not break links or fields, but the portal itself has moved. For example, the screenshot below shows a portal which was moved south by 0.000001 degrees latitude (~10 cm) and is not inside its own field and cannot be linked to. (Note: This map is zoomed in well beyond the normal zoom limits of the default Intel map; Users in these cases cannot visually see why they cannot link to portals using the game app or Intel website.)