A Machina Report – Introducing the new "Reclaimer” Medal [Discussion]

124»

Comments

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

For optimal harvesting, the fraction of portals that should be left red is:

F_Machina = 0.9/(1+7r)

and the optimal fraction of portals to be harvested each day is:

F_harvest = 0.9r/(1+7r)

You'll need to explain where those formulae came from. For a start they don't add up to 1, so what happens to the portals that are neither harvested nor left red? Schrödinger's portals...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Bronze 100

Silver 250

Gold 1000

Plat 5000

Onyx 10.000

This would be better yeah since red will be very hard even lower tiers for many dependin where you live.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Agreed about sweet spot. A shame they didn't count the six months prior otherwise this wouldn't be impossible, just annoying.

Am I the one person who liked cross linking as it forced action? It did need to be nerfed slightly (re. only spawn in high public areas.), so it didn't start up in places that are a nightmare to get to (cemetery, closed season portals)

I'm sure there's a database way to set that algorithm to toggle n for Machina spawn on "sensitive" portals.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I felt the post was long enough without an algebraic demonstration of the calculation.

the other portals are neutral, green/blue.

At r=0.1 link infections per day and leaving 10% of portals neutral to allow for infections, the optimal fractions are:

10% neutral

53% Machina

37% ENL/RES

this is if you have a farm only you have access to so you can’t neutralize your own captures and have to wait for them to decay after 7 days.

Everyday about 1/7*37% = 5.3% of the portals decay and 0.1*53%=5.3% infect another portal.

so everyday you can harvest 5.3% of the portals to return to a 10/53/37 balance sustainably.

Any faster and you will use up Machina faster than they can infect. Any slower and the Machina will eventually claim all the local neutrals and new infections will stop.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

thats seems wrong, if u didnt take down red u shouldnt get any points imo

• If an agent is within capture range, taking down the red is not much effort; nobody's recharging, and the resonators are closely deployed and nearly dead already.

Before this badge, I'd neutralise Machina portals by spamming XMP8 from public transport, because my main goal was "stop the red weed from strangling everything". So if another agent is the first to get within deploy range, they've made more effort than me and I think they deserve some credit.

• Remember when we used to complain that the Onyx numbers for Purifier and Builder were the wrong way round? We didn't know how good we had it.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember when we had active agents, so those numbers were easier to obtain? I'm almost to wings on purifier. I had purifier in 2016. It's taken this long to get semi close to wings (75k to go). No opposition = much harder to obtain badges than back in the day. Also, I'm closing in on 4x Builder, have wings on Mind Controller, almost 3x on Engineer. Those aren't hard, because we had years to do that.

40k captures of only special types of portals, with no opposition? With multiple agents in the same areas trying for the badge? Most people are planning on unlocking the badge, but not chasing any further. For me to unlock the badge, I ended up driving some 80+ miles that day. If I want to advance my badge by any amount that isn't a handful here or a handful there once a week, it's driving lotta miles to make it happen.

You also have to fight those agents who run around all day and just capture portal for AP. If agents are doing that, there is no place for Machina to even spawn.

As the amount of Machina portals and links go up, other aspects in the game break. We saw it last time. We are already seeing it again.

Soo many issues with this "idea" by Niantic. They should reconsider. But will they?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm not sure if there is a reason Niantic has it that way, but we tested it and you're getting the point for capturing, not destroying and capturing.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I wish it was for destroying red links. There’s no destroy links/fields badge so that would at least make it different than all other badges.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

There shouldn't be a medal at all - it's a perverse incentive.

They made it capturing to get folks out and moving to play. All the red stuff is off the beaten path. Niantic doesn't want it to be easy. I mean, look at the total. 🤣

I'm not upset about anything (okay, I think it's clear most of us think the numbers are a little wild).

I was just commenting on the fact that you don't have to be the one to destroy the portal.

I destroyed a bunch of them last night, but didn't capture a bunch of them. But when angry man holding a GUN walks outside and yells at you, (I wasn't on his property, I was walking along the street) you leave the area. eff that! Not gonna go back there anytime soon. Red shall rule that town.

Third time I've had someone threaten me with a GUN while I was playing Ingress.

• just got my bronze. Took me 3 walks, literally could be 3 days in a row. I know it’s not Onyx, but guys, come on, it’s just 3 days.

If I did my math right, that's roughly 33 machina portals per day/walk. That's a little over 1200 days/walks, where you would need to get at least 33ish machina portals. Take off a day or two for being sick, holidays, etc. That's 3.5 years. I know machina is growing, but that's quite the hefty goal. We'll be sure to check back in on ya Dec 01 2026 to see your progress... :P :P

• MJ78MJ78 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

I feel there is now too much to do in Ingress.

- Unique portal visits/captures.

- Building and destroying fields.

- Capturing and destroying opposition portals.

- Missions.

- Portal submission.

- Portal Scanning.

Now capturing of Machina portals as a badged achievement.

Whilst it is possible to combine a number of tasks in the list above, it is impossible to do all the above, unless you want to spend longer than usual at each portal. Meaning you won't be getting round as quickly.

You'll be hard pushed to do a couple of the tasks on a day out, let alone just a few hours of casual play.

From what I'm also seeing, traditional portal capture and field building is being sidelined in some areas. All to keep portals neutral to encourage the growth of Machina.

I fear Ingress is just going to largely become 'chase the red portals' over everything else.

• IcyBlueHeartIcyBlueHeart ✭✭✭✭

Wow, not sure I've ever seen a 'we have too much to do in Ingress' post. If you are feeling overwhelmed, maybe break the activities up. Concentrate of different aspects of the game on any given day. Mix it up and find your fun balance. And what does not get done, doesn't, no big deal.

• TooLegitToExistTooLegitToExist ✭✭✭✭

Im on the side of "numbers needs to be readjusted"

Its a direct copy of Liberator & theyre different.

Look at Hacker vs Maverick, Maverick is 5% of hacker

So defs needs to be readjusted as machina spawns are random/situational

So it is recommended to readjust those numbers esp for silver, gold platinum ,& onyx. For reclaimer to be like 25% of liberator thresholds

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of adjusting the goal, adjust the points. One point for capturing and one point for each additional resonator added, so you could get up to 8 points for a single reclaim.

I still play the same way I always have. Cap stuff, build stuff, make pretty blue triangles. Rebuilt after ENL destroys, but fails to rebuilt anything.

Now with Machina, I tend to waste a bit more gas, add more pollutants into the air going after the red stuff, that doesn't spawn near me, Some times, I get some new uniques, most of the time I don't.

You don't have to do all of the things. I don't scan and I rarely submit portals anymore. Wayfarer leans towards pogo approvals due to more of them or more of them with more accounts reviewing. It is what it is. I don't waste time trying to add to the map, I just cap portals, make triangles, and enjoy! Sometimes we even make the really big triangle shaped doo-hickeys too! 😍

yuppers, another town with a meth problem most likely...

• I'd also like to add my comment to say that the levels seem totally crazy to me. A simple comparison with 'Liberator', which many players haven't even reached in several years, shows that the goal of 'Reclaimer' is ridiculous!

Even if you divide the milestones by 3 or 4, the objective will still be considerable.

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭

No thanks I play ingress against real people not a bot.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

Liberator for me took a few years and it was during those years when game had many players and active playarea, i can imagine how hard this badge will be to reach highest level its alot harder then liberator which that also is very tough for many but this badge requires u to have any red portals if u dont its impossible even getting gold in long time.. and for machina to start even grow u need have neutral areas... counter effective.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

l have realized there's no time limit for capturing the portal. If machina has ever touched a portal, the next person capping will receive credit regardless of when