Restructuring the forums

PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I am aware things may have changed/been forgotten about/abandoned, but a while back this took place.

One point was called out that;

Thia doesn't like how the forum is structured and wants to revamp it, as people currently see it mainly as a platform to talk to Niantic and not to other agents. She's currently exploring options while trying to leave a place to talk to Niantic as well

As we haven't yet had the forums changed, how do you think it should be done? Are there any useless sections to you (besides all my posts and comments of course) or sections you think would be useful? Should there be a ENL/RES specific area? A section to discuss Machina?

Even way back on this thread;

@NianticCasey (who I think is now with the Pokémon GO team?) noted that:

Game information: We know that importing in-game details like your Faction and Level into the Community was something that we promised before, and it’s still high on our list of feature improvements for the Community. We’re hoping that this will arrive in early 2020.

I think being able to see that information would be nice, but can understand that given the limited use of the forum by Niantic staff, it's fairly low on the list.

Tagged:

Comments

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

My gripe: I can't tell if a like/dislike/insightful on a post is mine or not unless I click on it and the count goes down or up. It would be super nice if the button changed when you've already picked one of those options for a comment.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Always happy to bump a thread I wrote two years ago regarding the forum :)

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hate the forums software in general. It's like they found the cheapest software and went with it with very little hacking (modification) of the software.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s how NBA All World does it (besides Bug Reports) and I’m sure that’s a runaway success.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

In my view, the only comments from anyone on the Ingress team are now solely in the Bug Reports. Or when one decides to lock a thread.

Most players I've talked to either don't know the forums exist, or do not want to have anything to do with them, as there is so very little feedback from the Ingress team.

Andrew Krug was quite vocal and was a fantastic Community manager.

Know that with the restructuring of the Ingress team, Thia has a lot more on her hands now than she has time for.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The best software, ironically was Google Circles.

Pokémon GO still doesn't have forums. Probably a wise choice.

There is Niantic Campfire, which is still currently full of spam, and really doesn't fulfill the needs of game players. Any game!

Therefore, Ingress forums, although disliked is about the only reasonable option

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

I wonder why there are no active "Release notes" as was?

For example: now we have 2.115.4 release with "bugfixes" in Play Store info. From brief view i see now adventure sync has additional option "Adventure sync trekking" and have no idea why it exists now.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Forums seems abandoned long ago by niantic except the few replies in "bug reports", so why should they invest in it even more ?

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Forums have steadily declined as Niantic input did. I've given up on them ever improving communication.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

The forums are too spread out by topics.

~General

~Bug Reports

~Events

Is all we need.

Thinking back on this, the most recent games have ditched the forums idea save for Bug Reports and used Campfire.

I wouldn’t mind doing so for Ingress, if the chats were actually usable and not filled with Pokémon GO (and now some Peridot) spam.

It could be a lot better, for sure.

I wonder if the Vanilla Forums contract is coming to an end though, and they will keep the Bug Reports elsewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if they closed the forums in the next year or two, to make people use Campfire.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Campfire is full of spam, and doesn't even fulfill the needs of players across all products.

Niantic have been trying to use it, however there is no official moderator for Campfire and the devs appear to be adding bug fixes for only Pokémon go.

Therefore it is a complete and utter failure.

Pokémon GO was/is the main focus for Campfire as this was how it was originally shown on Niantic’s website.

Zero mention of use for other games.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a big difference.

Campfire form the very beginning was marketed as a cross product platform. Despite what the cover page says.

Just recently the Niantic Marketing department have removed ALL mentioning of other products on the cover page

Yet their product support page, and their expos/dev conferences still talk about other products

Even with just pogo, not even having active moderators shows that Niantic Corp have contempt for Campfire as a product, and certainly the Campfire devs have not enabled ways to mute certain parts of Campfire so that even if one wanted to use Campfire for pogo, they're inundated with spam.

There are regular "bug fixes" to the Campfire app. None of the bugs that I've seen have been addressed.

Campfire in Ingress is using an incredibly out of date version that it is useless @NianticThia

So if Campfire isn't fit for purpose for pogo, and it isn't being made usable for even the latest products such as Marvel WoH.

It is by definition a failed product

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I also want to put some context here.

Jurassic World Alive, have closed their forums and moved their discussions to Discord

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Chats in place of forums aren't a great idea. It's pretty horrible actually. But then again if those who run the game don't look at the forums, you can bet your you know what that they won't be looking at the chats either.

Campfire for Ingress runs like cr4p. Stupid slow. It's full of spam for the different games with referral codes. I don't understand how anyone would think its a replacement for a forums site.