Update on Game Latency, Missing Wayspots, and the Roadmap

Comments

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Locks, locks everywhere

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There is definitely lag when it comes to updating the new Agent Ops. Still have lots of delay in stats updating.

Something to keep in mind now that we have a task system.

Forcing a sync with an app restart shouldn't happen.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Lockups are 100% not per player. We just had 4 rechargers all say in a chat they locked up at same time on the portal, and when we reloaded the map wasnt even loading.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to only get a lock up or two with recharging. Maybe while actively playing once in a while.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Still an issue when u try bulk recharge many keys with boost u will sooner or later get stuck in the recharge animation and its been how long now this problem ?

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting to about 3 years for the lagggg

Comes down to one of three things

1. They know what the issue and can't fix it without a bunch of money.
    2. They know what the issue is and they have to re-write a ton of code.
    3. Or they have ZERO clue how to troubleshoot issues.

Disclosing any of the above three things makes them look pretty bad. Granted having this issue for nearly 3 years just looks bad from any aspect.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Im afraid at this point its reason nr.1 :/ They need find more ways to get income, just some core users and whatever they are selling ingame doesnt seem to cut it really.

• the lag this whole week has basically made ingress unplayable, I get on resonator deployed then wait nearly five minutes to put down a second. I fire off one or two XMP then need to wait 3 minutes to fire my next one, making sure they have plenty of time to recharge. Niantic gave up on Ingress long ago, and now they are giving up on their cash cow Pokemon hoping a new game will bring in the money. Sad.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
  • PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

SensorTower can wildly overestimate and underestimate at times but is a good indicator of where things are at.

So let’s say that Ingress is getting between $50k and $150k a month from just the app (not including things on Niantic Supply etc.). That’s not much at all so I think it’s likely to be that they know but don’t have the funds sadly.

• It's a catch-22.

People won't invest time/money into a game that runs badly. And Niantic won't spend money because they don't earn enough.

It's upto Niantic to spend some of that Pogo cash to fix the problems so they can get more revenue

I agree it’s difficult. I wish they’d finish off some features at least, like adding rewards to FitRep or being able to see the Overclock thing.

I’d hope Niantic can assign some extra funds/resources to Ingress now that they aren’t spending time/funds/resources on Trading Post and whatever other game closes down in a few months.

Ingress is definitely a hard sell at the moment to any new players with the issues it has.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

or being able to see the Overclock thing.

To be fair, not only is it still in active development and hasn't been released "half finished" yet, Niantic has yet to officially announce it.

Yeah, admittedly it’s probably a while away but some mention of it in the in-game news saying it is coming soon might be nice rather than just a short video of it out there.

Anything to try and engage players.

Thought about this. The ones I shared last time would have been for March 2023, and these will be for April 2023.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian @NianticThia @ofer2 Any news on that pesky laggg issue? It's been around for going on 3 years now.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

And now reports huge lag nobody can even login and play during anomaly weekend... just great.....

Yeah the lag was horrendous. Also scanner crashed about 8 times in an hour.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

I notice 2 forms of lag are predictable

1. when wifi is enabled and phone is attempting to connect to wifi, ingress quietly lags, well beyond when the connection is established. It is quicker to enable wifi and then do a restart of ingress. vice versa is not so bad, going from wifi to 5g.
    2. when location is inaccurate, ingress quietly lags, on both initial startup and for actions. switching to wifi helps. perhaps related, but when stationary, ingress will often lag, and it helps to move a little. inaccurate location also causes drone to lag.

I think both were changed a couple years ago to tighten up security, but inadvertently introduced lag

Lag also varies by action. Sometimes you can't hack or deploy but you can fire bursters, and see the damage. Sometimes you can hack, but not deploy.

• CrepitusOzCrepitusOz ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

What’s going on today?

Everything is slow, even seeing portal info (was already slow yesterday) and now there’s a 5-6 second lag after recharging 😡

PS: That delay seems to be on the very nice end of the scale, hitting over 30s also

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Back to nearly 1m machina portals and servers are trash again. Shocker.

And again - really bad lag, games running like a PoS and people unable to sign in.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

1.5mil machina portals once again, lag go up

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

And here we thought after ending quantums the lag would improve, haha the irony now the ai team makes the game lag even worse.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever since update 2.119

Lag for me is a lot worse.

Ie having Ingress open, use another app, then switch back to Ingress a few minutes later and it takes at least 30 seconds to see the game portals, links and fields

Very buggy lately.

• We all knows

• Does Niantic even care anymore?