Thank you for all your support, Trading Post Ingress community

edited April 2023 in General

Today, we are announcing that the Ingress Trading Post is shutting down on June 9th. The Trading Post was a web3 project from the SpotX team, a web3 research and development group at Niantic, with the goal of connecting Ingress Agents around the world through digital Ingress Bio Cards. Many Agents participated through our Epiphany Dawn Anomaly Series in 2022 and continued collecting, trading, and sharing memories with one another. 

Trading Post was an experimentation effort to explore the world of digital collectibles, and while we believe that web3 has the potential to create meaningful experiences in the future, we plan to shift focus to other priorities.

Here is what this announcement means for your Trading Post Bio Cards:

• Users will have 60 days from today to download the Bio Cards held in their collection  after which they will no longer be accessible.
  • Users will be able to trade and create new Bio Cards for 30 days as of this announcement. There will not be any new packs dropped or frames.
  • On June 9, the Trading Post website and associated Niantic Campfire channel will shut down.

Ingress has long been a place where new ideas incubate, and we want to thank our Ingress agents for participating and sharing valuable feedback. You showed us how closely knit the Ingress community is – a core principle unique to Niantic games. 

Thank you!

Post edited by NianticOfficial on

Comments

• SuZ912SuZ912 ✭✭✭✭

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

It was so interesting service!

• Je ne connaissais pas , ou alors je n'ai peut-être pas compris, mais ce programme me semblait totalement inconnu.🤔🤷‍♂️

Et je pense ne pas etre le seul a ne pas connaitre celà malheureusement.

Peut-être était-il trop tôt encore.

• MatrixRootMatrixRoot ✭✭
    edited April 2023

what idiot came up with putting it all down...

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

What's really interesting is I just heard Niantic is no longer going to have anomaly swag available for purchase at sites. If they are doing this to push Niantic Supply, it's finally something logical they have done. No more muling and no more headaches for ordering.

I still wish digital dossier packs existed with the characters. We now have a new template for cards this year.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Thousands of players around the world enjoyed crafting and Trading their digital Trading Cards.

The shutdown reason I don't think is, the reason people here think is.

Since Campfire was enabled for all. Pokemon go Players, and no one else.

The spam across all chats has skyrocketed. Even the Official Ingress Community Campfire has been inundated with spam from pokemon go.

@NianticBrian it is beyond a critical issue now.

We've reported the spam, and spam continues. We have heard nothing from the Niantic Campfire team about dealing with the spam.

And it is up to all Niantic Product Managers to stand up and realize the dumpster fire they've cteated.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

On a serious note, I wonder what market research they conducted to see who thought this was a good idea in the first place.

The commentary I saw was mostly “why are you doing NFTs” and that nobody wanted it, but the decision was to push ahead anyways.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was no market research. John Hanke got FOMO when he saw other companies making investments in web3 gaming, bought the first web3/AR company he could find, then looked for something to do with it. Ingress got the short straw because it's the game that didn't require a sign-off from an external company's lawyers.

Didn’t the SpotX folks talk about speaking to many agents at in person meet ups etc.?

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Many" isn't a real number, kid. And talking to users after you launch a product isn't market research.

Agreed. Not sure why they thought it would be a good thing.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They were tapping into an emerging market. Which is currently growing exponentially.

Ingress, at this point is being left behind.

Personally I was looking forward to seeing perhaps some sort of mini game. Think Triple Triad from Final Fantasy 8. Just something other than Trading digital cards, and during break time at work, just play a few games until the end of the work day, then go back to making Augmented Control Fields

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Please refer to the Niantic Trading Post Campfire, to look at the spam

I’m on the outside (not being into NFTs) but it seems the only people who tell you/say it is growing are those already heavily involved in it, to loop you in the nonsense too.

Maybe that’s not how you feel, but standing outside of it, that’s how it looks.

Glad Ingress isn’t progressing with it.

As for an Ingress card game thing, that might work? But I would think Niantic would rather take an existing card game and do an app for that instead.

Magic The Gathering AR? Yu-Gi-Oh Prime? (That’s my knowledge of trading card games spent)

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the Campfire, but the spam is not (as you implied) a reason for the shutdown.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, they didn't "include" NFTs in the concept. Niantic bought an NFT company. Because that's where everyone told them the money is. It was an NFT-first concept, and a biocard project second.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

The concept of blockchain in itself is not inherently bad. It's the attachment of crypto currency and nft to it that's unnecessary for Ingress.

Blockchain/ledger doesn't have to be computationally expensive the way it is with crypto. There are plenty of legit uses of it, such as transparent inventory tracking (of real world things).

This discussion has been closed.