Ingress literally unplayable in my area!

13»

Comments

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

L8 Machina portals usually take 2-3 X8s to take out if heavily linked. More if you are firing from a distance. Multiply that by the sheer number of Machina to deal with spread out over a large area and it chews a lot of XMP. Especially when solo, in Machina infected area, there is nowhere to farm to top up.

Ran out of bursters last night clearing red.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Dropping 5 x8s to clean out a nest of red that I can't physically stand on top of is a beautiful thing. Ten, twenty or more portals cleaned out in one sitting. Inventory cap doesn't love it but everything else does.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like my area. Players that spend well over 40 hours a week playing like their life depends on it. Blatant multi accounting that's openly accepted by their own team. Chasing down players and making cheating accusations. Trying to start fist fights. Getting legitimate portals removed. It's just the way the game is played in many areas. Just gotta play your own game and ignore them. Nothing you can do about it. I've been a target by them for years now. Keeps me going because they can't stop me from playing my game. If they stop targeting me I'll get bored quick.

1. (Flippant) is Niantic paying people to play Ingress hard core?

2. Every box has players that have histories that are problematic at best and those players don't help matters by either playing sketchy or doing things that set off RL alarms.

3. Legitimate portals, there are gray area/subjective portals where if you view them in one context they don't belong as portals.

4. If other agents have stinky attitudes, you know who they are and resort to sketchy play to keep "dominance" that's on them. Sounds like a scared player that needs control.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I believe the competition presented by this game created the problem. Ingress Prime is based on friendly competition. Competition can encourage bad actors and toxic communities to conduct macro and micro-aggressions against new players during gameplay and real life. There is nothing friendly, or one can call a social call when an agent chases down new players by driving 60 mph in a car in a suburban area or a veteran agent deploying a Yolo link while rookie players are trying to field in a small area. Those experiences can make a lasting impression on new players concerning this game.

Whatever happened to the Ingress Agent protocol? Wherein "don’t take photos or videos of other players unless you have their permission. Remember that certain interactions that seem harmless or fun to you may be perceived completely differently by other players or bystanders. Use good judgment and common sense -- leave bystanders and other players alone if they don’t want to talk to you." I believe bad actors carried out those aggressions to force new or rookie players to quit the game so they could weed out the competition in their area. Unsurprisingly, other players prefer to play as lone wolves for safety reasons and maintain a peaceful and a pleasant gameplay experience.

Below is the Agent Protocol link:

https://niantic.helpshift.com/hc/en/3-ingress/faq/448-agent-protocol/?p=web&s=agent-protocol&f=agent-protocol&l=en

Which is why machina is so much better. You don't have to worry about them chasing you down and following you. It takes the bad human element completely out. It's a competitor that will not hurt you. Easy to take out too. It just doesn't replicate fast enough for my area.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

@VenomousToad , not until taking the Machina portals down are broadcasted in COMMs and alert everyone to go to the scene and be followed by unknown agents. I had a better experience taking down enemy portals in Dallas, TX, and Denton, TX, wherein the Agent Protocol was observed and respected.

True, we get followed here too. They even break out the binoculars which is hilarious to see. But it runs off new players and that's the very intention. They want zero competition.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@VenomousToad I get what you're saying. The flip side of the argument is that Machina has no strategy and no tactics, and there's no real competition. Playing against Machina is essentially a mechanical endeavor and a stats game, and that's just not as interesting as competing against intelligent entities for territory control.

And when they veterans play bullyball....

They don't want players who basically go, "you make me annoyed. There's more where that's coming from. "

We kinda need a new game...

I'd be a little disillusioned starting the game and having a 250 Million AP person with a gazillion badges stomping on me.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@Hosette , I agree with your opinion. Machina portals are like, meh! It's different when an opponent observes and respects the Agent Protocol and presents a challenging, competitive, and fun portal battle instead of another agent who likes to bully, annoy or pester you to play when you are not in the mood to play against him/her (because playing with a bully is a chore). It's a reason why our group only selects very few agents we play against because we want a fun and pleasant gameplay experience. Distance doesn't matter as long as the agent is respectful and courteous. For example, a simple nod would suffice in addressing another agent in the real world. One doesn't have to talk to an agent at the workplace to say something not welcomed by another agent. First impressions have a lasting effect on how new players perceive this game. It also influences how they deal with other players in the present and the future.

• One of the biggest problems are holiday parks open only in season time ,paid entry attractions which get visited in summer etc with more regular visitors.

External red links are manageable but if you need to link through 30 spaghetti linked portals you just give up.

Do like the red for easy micro fielding though

The amount of machina portals have been steadily dropping. It seems they aren't as active anymore. Good for some areas bad for others. But it seems they are trying to balance them out. But not sure if they will ever tell us anything about them.

• GottestalGottestal ✭✭✭

I remember starting out about 5 years ago and struggling to attack portals with level 5 XMP. I just concentrated on getting the first 1.2 million AP and suddenly everything got so much easier. There was lots of things to do to get that AP. Captures, linking and making small fields. It only took me 30 days from 0 to level 8.

We don’t have to make ingress easy, Niantic has others games that are not competitive, everyone is welcome to try those if ingress is too hard.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

@Gottestal, are you referring to the game's competitive nature or the competitive toxicity of some Ingress players?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Levelling up to level 8, when Level 8 was the max level a player could be, was the incentive to play, it was really hard, limited portals and everyone was like you at the same level.

Also, glyphing didn't exist.

Ingress is a competitive game, just depends on how much the individuals want to be

• GottestalGottestal ✭✭✭

I have never met other ingress players that were toxic. Some of my most difficult opponents were never unfriendly.

Consider yourself lucky. Our team gets chased down by the opposition on a regular basis. They accuse us of being cheaters and tell us exactly how we should play. It's a strategy to get players to quit and it's very effective. Nobody wants to be followed around while they are trying to enjoy playing an app on a cell phone. They just quit instead. We've been trying to keep players motivated but that type of behavior we have no suggestions for. Just avoid and call the police or quit playing. It's lame.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

How fortunate for you to have that experience. It's the exact opposite for our group, besides being pursued by another crazy agent/bot driving a car at least 65mph in a 40 mph zone when we were newbies; we had to deal with psychos in messaging apps, which is why we don't use messaging apps anymore. The silver lining from those experiences is: we were able to have peaceful gameplay. No drama or CPR is needed :)

edited April 2023

Campfire their couchies. Be proud when your vehicles license plate makes it into the opposite teams database ;)