Undead red portals problem

In the first days of the bug so called machina, red portals were decaying with the rate of 5% per day. Now when red portal appears, making links despite exisitng links and fields, it decays from 25% to 5% and then is stays there forever.

I have one simple question:

why? Why? WHY!!!!!!!!?

is it to allow people to intereact with red portal? I see how people will intereact with red portal in closed areas or in Russia.

Is it to allow people to gain ap by destroying it? No it is not allowing people to gain ap by blocking making links and fields by in the playzone.

It is beacause red portals are rare and people need time to prepare trip there? More than 4M red portals, almost every town ruined by it, yes machina portals are so rare.

Decay was added to eliminate stagnation in the portal network, then there is Machina with its undead portals making game impossible with its ToS breaking powers.

At the end I will reapeat my question, WHY ARE THE RED PORTALS NOT DECAYING?

Comments

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be 1 machina portal decay per every 2 new machina controlled portals. That way it won't get too out of control.

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭

Yes we all hate machina in its current setup. You'll find threads with hundreds of complaints. Niantic haven't done anything about it.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently server side bug.... (Google). Maybe? Niantic could simply make them all go "poof" though.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Look, only 10 portals appeared in my city in two weeks. If there is a discharge of portals to a neutral state, at such a rate of reproduction, the cluster will disappear even before the fourth portal appears. I agree that the portal network algorithm is not working as it should. In some cities, portals cover the entire city, in others a cluster of 3-10 portals appears. If the development of all clusters were uniform, then we could say that yes, something should be introduced or something added. And as long as we have a different rate of development, this cannot be done.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

If I understand correctly, those 10 portals you speak of are in Ukraine. Looking over the Machina distribution in Ukraine (compared with Poland, for example) I think it’s safe to say Niantic has different Machina growth rules in Ukraine right now.

I greatly look forward to when there is no longer an obvious reason for that to be the case.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that's not the point. I give a concrete example. There are 3 cities.

1. Ternopil. multiple agents play daily, the Red Portal Cluster has grown to 15 portals in two weeks. Every few days a new portal appears. With this rate of reproduction and growth of the cluster, I can destroy it in 40 minutes.

2. Zbarazh. A city in which no one has played for a long time and it has the same portal multiplication rate as in my city. Lots of gray portals and long links.

3. Berezhany. The cluster took everything it could. There is no gray portal. Portal capture speed is colossal. This city is also located in Ukraine, and just like in the previous one, no one has been playing in it for a long time.

At the moment, our agents are unable to understand the red portal propagation algorithm. Why in one city they breed too fast, and in others they breed very reluctantly. At the moment there is no adequate confrontation between the agents and the red faction. The red faction does not try to survive where it is destroyed, it simply breeds on the territory of any country as it pleases. And I agree that in some cities, the red portals are a terrible threat and they cannot be destroyed due to their excessive reproduction. But there are also places where there are almost no red portals. And if they appear in such places, then they can be destroyed in 1-2 hours, even two weeks after the appearance.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

Just guessing, but it’s possible the random element of Machina growth meant it initially grew faster in some areas (just due to random variation) and then Niantic simply froze growth in Ukraine (perhaps around the same time they removed them from Russia and Belarus entirely).

I still think it’s fairly clear Niantic did something in Ukraine with Machina that they didn’t do elsewhere to slow overall growth. And it would not surprise me one bit if they did it at least a bit unevenly.

All that said, it deserves some clear communication from Niantic.