Communication.

SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

So, we've had many promises from Niantic to improve communication with the Ingress player base over the years. Despite the promises, I think we can agree we are at an all-time low.

A recent example - Machina threads, we have 100's of posts, and not a word from Niantic.

Serious question to @NianticBrian @NianticOfficial @NianticThia :

Do you want the Ingress player base to grow?

Why I ask -

It's really hard to recommend a game to someone where there is effectively zero communication from the company.

Do you expect the existing player base to try and recruit, when you make absolutely zero effort yourselves to recruit via any method other than the odd email to EXISTING older player base?

No effort on social media.

No effort at the (defunct?) Niantic Community Days.

When you do communicate, it's a scattered, and incoherent, done via Anomaly announcement, Ingress News post, Twitter, Reddit or, word of mouth.

Tell us why we should care; when all that Niantic Ingress staff do appears to reinforce the appearance that you do not care.

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

More communication is needed, just a few replies in report bug section doesnt count.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Maybe if we can't get the actual Ingress team to respond, @ace might be more willing?

Actually, he hasn't been signed into the forums in almost a year. Reading his previous comments make it seem like he's interested in quite a few updates to existing Ingress systems.

Previous comments he's posted. Some really make you wonder what's actually changed since these comments were posted.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

CORE is 100% about those 500 extra inventory slots. When people decide to cut back or quit playing, they cut those spaces. Or some do it to spite Niantic for that whole "$5" a month.

I keep mine because of the space. Sure Ingress is a hot mess. When isn't it? $5 is the cheapest game subscription of any I'm currently paying for.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish these threads actually worked. Allegedly the Niantic teams reads them. It's clear they've got their own agenda and plans though, so it really does feel like a bit of a waste. It's also clear they don't understand how valuable we could be to their long term goals and the viability of the game in general. Work with us, communicate with us and we'll do whatever it takes to help. But keep shutting us out and players will continue to drop...

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Why do you care so much about this game? Niantic doesn't seem to care about Ingress Prime anyway? It's just an empty mines of Moria here.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone keeps saying more communication but what exactly do you want Niantic to communicate here?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people are hoping for something similar to how it used to be. Maybe communication is the wrong word. Maybe engagement is a better one?

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian @NianticVK Why, by the way, have we not been given information about shapers yet?

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

Because you keep asking. The details will be released either by POCs (if they were given the info) or by Niantic when the decide to. No amount of questioning or begging will make them release it.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic promised to do this during the last anomaly. as a result, we got nothing, nothing at all. Am I wrong about something? If I'm not mistaken, the organizers of the previous anomaly don't know themselves whether Niantic employees will give them this information or not.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

The news tab was a nice addition to the scanner. It gave people a place where they could go to see some information about events. It's been blank for a while for me so maybe they are updating it. But if they could start using that again it could help get people more engaged with the game.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking on the news tab, we used to get emails with Agent Spotlight

and when it was International Women’s Day (and also for long after) we got a women of Ingress spotlight too.

I still get Ingress emails, but am guessing they’ve stopped these monthly news reports now that they have the News section on the site.

I wonder if we would get a spotlight section there or something similar.

• The actual lack of communication or engagement now is Niantic not responding to any of the machine threads I believe. How hard can it be to answer at least one of those questions?

Not a single answer.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the sentiment but not the extra account bit.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

@Grogyan , Ingress Prime maybe an augmented reality game, but it is not FUN as before. It's just a Machina wasteland out there. Plus, there is zilch engagement from Niantic with the community. Do you think that's a pleasant experience for the majority of us? NO!

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭

i dont agree with it either but my point was people won't pay £5 a month when they can get x4 the space for free, everyone knows you shouldn't but we all know people do. Core needs more benefits than just extra space and items every month that no one needs.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean they havent responded to a single Machina feedback post what ive seen or... 🤨

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It hasn't been as "fun" as before since 2018.

The barrenness you speak of has been there for nearly 4 years.

I disagree that Ingress isn't fun, just different.

Stop complaining and whining.amd get out there, do what you can in the time you have. Which for myself is a few hours on weekends only and primarily only in the burbs.

1). We know that Machina Links shouldn't be able to cross link

2) we know that Machina portals are not decaying to zero after 2 weeks

No need to keep harping on on these things. The devs are very much well aware.

Tomorrow, is the MZFPK Anomaly.

I'll post my thoughts on the whole Quantum removal, 90s Hacks, Machina issues and the task system in the coming weeks. When we have a better overview understanding of the bits that Brian Rose has been changing in the last several months.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

I hope you are right and this all will be resolved after the anomaly tomorrow.

But if so, and given how unbalanced this has become in many areas, would it really have been so hard for Niantic to just make an announcement like, “We are noticing significant increases in Machina aggression … etc … expect more information at the MZPFK anomaly on March 18”?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't be resolved tomorrow, reckon we will have a better idea of what is happening with all these different parts that Brian has changed/implented and us players have given constructed feedback on over the last several months.

Bit difficult to see the big picture when we're focused on one thing at a time.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Communication this week

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite the fact we have a global event tomorrow

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

I decide if I want to go out there and play because I am the client here.