Ingress literally unplayable in my area!

Comments

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

It's extremely easy destruction which is a normal part of the game. It's just a different color that has no person behind it. At least it's friendly and won't follow you around for miles.

• Bwa friendly, it's not following any Ingress game rule like linking trough links, under fields... Oh, wait.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Metrobus/Metrolink is going to have to become someone's friend.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Otrera35 That's your choice. I enjoy smashing things, I enjoy getting unique caps, I enjoy playing Ingress, and I enjoy traveling. Combining all of those things just doesn't seem like a negative to me.

• Machina portals do repair themselves if they are missing a resonator or two, they do not decay. The links are long and the portals create new links quickly. I have been cleaning up some of the links and portals but during the time I spend doing that, new red links appeared.

Clearing up other factions links is a lot easier, because they don’t cross each other. For example, they run either north to south or east to west, but not both at the same time crossing in the middle of your play area.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking forward to bike season returning (-20 C this morning 🥶) so that I can hit the local clusters properly.

But to control Machina effectively you need to wipe out as many as possible and reduce its food supply (capture neutrals). Even if you don’t keep a key for charging a captured portal will be “immune” for a week. If it’s coming back in a few days you’re leaving too many neutrals behind.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

If the machina portals are located in an area that is only open to the public once a month or requires a ticket for entry, it's going to be a limiting factor and make things more difficult. My play area is in a pretty portal dense area, so maintaining a couple hundred portals isn't an option and not really something I'm interested in doing if that's what's required to enjoy the game, though I understand the reasoning...

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, it means that players must capture the portal rather than neutralise them.

With good planning, shouldn't need many keys to keep those Portals away from Machina.

• IcyBlueHeartIcyBlueHeart ✭✭✭✭

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Besides, why bother with a Level 1 or 2 red portal? It's not worth my XMPs or time. It's just another avenue that Niantic can sell Level 8 XMPs and Hypercubes from its app store.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Low level resonators, mods and lots of portal keys.

I am forever low on low level resonators

There needs to be a website for areas needing red clearance. I'm thinking vacation season coming up. Go road trip on reds.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Mods...soo many mods... Sunday/Monday combined, I deployed over 1,000 mods... 2nd set of Engineer wings coming soon!

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@IcyBlueHeart I call it the intel map... they're fairly easy to spot.

• One link per second on average. There are multiple link thrown simultaneously from a portal, as far as I understood.

Also, similarly to the machina process, the process of duplicating items in quantum capsule didn't have to occur on the main server, yet it was declared that was one of the cause of the lag....

As for decay - calculate decay is easier than finding targets for links, "no decay" might be intentional, to grow clusters of red portals and see player activity.

Of course it is intentional, what I said is that the number of red portals is growing and so are the calculation needed for the machina throwing links. If it doesn't lead to a lag now, it will eventually, while with the reactivation of full decay for red portals the number would grow slower

• GottestalGottestal ✭✭✭

I just love these people offering red clearing services 🤣

I could give them a long list of red portals to clear, but unless they break the TOS, they are not going to be able to get at them.

This is the problem with machina, it doesn’t play in the real world and the only way to combat it is by going into the virtual world of fake GPS.

This is not a very encouraging development for the game.

• If you're throwing a big field, you have to go to far flung places to clear the opposition's links anyway. And it's far easier for people living in California to say "I'll go anywhere in California".

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I don't waste my time and gear on low-level portals with mediocre rewards. If the red machina fielding looks like the micro fields created by a fierce rival of mine plus a real-time portal battle in Dallas, TX; maybe I will go for it. I leave alone low-level red portals because it is not really worth my time and gear. Why go for a skirt steak when you can get the Ultimate Beef Wellington?

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

So - previously fielding ops would go ahead if clearing was reasonable AND you could do it without tipping the opposition off.

It's now much harder with huge numbers of machina in some areas and it becomes VERY obvious when clearing lanes through seas of red.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@SSSputnik , the Red Machina is probably designed to give an equal footing for each faction. In addition, it forces agents to go out and team with other agents to take the red portals out. The least Niantic can do is to create higher Red Machina portals with higher AP and gear. Not all agents are willing to risk it for paltry biscuits considering the time and resources they have to use.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Otrera35 Dropping one X8 on a red portal doesn't feel like wasting gear to me, and I certainly don't need to team up with anyone to clear out a sea of red.

Machina portals gain levels as they stay alive and I've taken out quite a few MP8s.

Machina portals are so fragile I sometimes use low level bursters to be sure not to **** an entire cluster. They are red piñatas that really are too easy to take out.