Totally lost in control of the Machina links

2»

Comments

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't understand what happened to you with these red portals? We haven't had a single red portal for over a week. Agents of our city would love to come and look at the red portal as if it were some kind of overseas curiosity. But we don't have red portals at all. There are many gray portals, there are active players, but there are no red portals. A week ago we had a cluster consisting of 5 portals that released one link every few days. It was boring. Yes, such a cluster was very quickly destroyed by me, in two hours of a leisurely walk. I sincerely would like the same lush red clusters in my city as some other players, but alas, the algorithm from the Niantic company does not work as it should and we do not have red portals.

• HAHAYIKESHAHAYIKES ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if you zoomed in like that on purpose. But to the north, south, east AND the west are clusters on red portals.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

In other cities, there are a lot of red portals, and in this city, which is in the screenshot, it was enough to clean everything once and for more than a week there have been no new red portals. It took me no more than 2 hours to clean up the cluster. If I lived in any other neighboring city, I could also destroy any of the clusters in 3-4 hours. So forgive me, I still think that the red faction is not a strong opponent for us.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

You sure that's not an effect of the Russia restriction?

• HAHAYIKESHAHAYIKES ✭✭✭

Feel free to come to any of the hundreds of cities where its overrun and players cannot play the way the game is intended. Or you could just drive an hour to the surrounding cities that are overrun with red portals as well. I am sorry they aren't spawning in your backyard and you have to actually get out there and move.

• ThePoioThePoio ✭✭✭

It would be more interesting if you gave the players the possibility to decide where to start the infections: but few per player.

for example you could infect a maximum of three portals which would generate red links, but as long as those portals are red you cannot generate any more infections.

to destroy all the infection just destroy the portal you infect at the beginning

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

The only areas that are overrun with red portals are areas with very little activity. And that's what they are there for. To give people things to do. There are many areas that need actual opponents.

• HawkBroHawkBro ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

OK, well, you're right absolutely!

They spread only in areas with VERY LITTLE activity as you keep claiming.

You're right. Except it's because machina killed all agents!

• IcyBlueHeartIcyBlueHeart ✭✭✭✭

I wish traveling there was an option for me. I would gladly apply myself to addressing your problem. I'd be giddy if there was red like that near me.

• IcyBlueHeartIcyBlueHeart ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I would love a chance to see if you are right. For me that looks like a non stop fun sho.oting gallery, and capping portals would seem like you could gain control of the area.

• ThePoioThePoio ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

The white areas allow you to have Fields that help their faction to win in their territory, but the problem is not the single red link, that helps the playability, giving time to those who destroy a Field of the other faction to better hinder or warn the allies to help him in the fight. In this case the single link helps the playability of the game itself because I have time to make a new fields.

But Ingress is a team game in which links “join” people: the simple fact of having to link where a fellow faction lives involves seeing each other, collaborating, getting to know each other, etc....

All this red **** ends up isolating people, killing the sociability of the game, and the game itself

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe, and play where you can.

The main issue isn't Machina per set, it is just mainly the issue with it crossing links. Which is really a simple fix if the Ingress devs wanted to.

Same issues are seen in every country and city, Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to recruit more players, Enlightened and Resistance to claim back all that.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Machina is like an invasive species that needs predators (agents) to keep it under control. It feeds on neutral portals. This is especially true if Machina portals don’t decay to zero on their own (effectively immortal in the absence of agents).

Areas with few agents and lots of portals are going to have difficulty controlling Machina as it can grow almost exponentially. This is especially true if a Machina portal can hide in a hard to access location. If Machina takes hold in these areas, the local game will be dominated by agents v Machina. Agents who don’t like playing that game will probably play much less, which makes the imbalance worse.

There will be other areas where there are more active agents per portal. Those areas will keep Machina under control. In these areas the game will continue more or less as normal, maybe even improved as agents will have more ways to play the game.

All this means that Machina will manifest very differently in different locations. In one location it may choke out the few remaining local players and feel like a cancer, while in others it’s more balanced and adds a bit more variety.

I don’t think Niantic has put much consideration into this dynamic when it released Machina (and especially when it apparently decided to make them immortal).

I think the simplest solution (but not only) would be to allow Machina to make fields and to not allow their links to cross other links.

• ThePoioThePoio ✭✭✭

Never, in the history of ingress, has it been possible to link in that way and managing the number of crosss is currently impossible.

That at least it makes sure that Machina cannot cross itself in a way that limits itself to the "manageable”