Long loading with adventure sync on

magicmarkusmagicmarkus ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Report a Bug

When adventure sync is enable the Ingress app needs a very long time to load.

It will show the startup screen for some minutes and then after displaying a "login required" message it asks for the login information. This can loop for several times until it successfully starts. It can take from five minutes up to one hour.

If adventure sync is disabled, the app will start just fine.

The following steps do not help with the issue: Killing the app, restarting the phone, cleaning the cache, changing login between Google and Facebook, changing networks (wifi and mobile data) and various combinations.

Clearing the app data fixes it, because then adventure sync is also disabled. But as soon adventure sync is enabled again, then the long loading times come back.

Ingress version 2.108.1 on Android 10.

Note 1: Someone in this thread apparently had the same problem, but it was probably not further investigated.

Note 2: I have exactly the same issue with the Pokemon GO app and adventure sync. This indicates some core problem with the adventure sync implementation.

Post edited by magicmarkus on
Tagged:
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• The problem still exists with version 2.109.2

• The problem still exists with version 2.109.3

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

I have the same problem with Ingress, Pogo and Pikmin. These problems started about a month ago.

I'm running Samsung Galaxy S20FE with Android 13

This problem happens if I'm on cell or WiFi.

It happens even after rebooting my phone, reformating my cache p partition.

It happens even after deleting ingress cache, deleting ingress data and completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Post edited by Mxx on
  • eigoodeigood ✭✭✭

What version of android, play store, etc? It might not be a direct ingress problem. It is working fine for me on a Note10+, play store version 34.4.16-21. I couldn't find what version of Adventure Sync it uses.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

I'm running the latest available updates for my phone, Android 13 with January 1st security updates. Play Store version 34.4.16-21[0][PR]507539062

Adventure Sync is not an app. It's just a feature name of how Niantic syncs data from Google Fit.

• They for sure use some system function or library that provides the fitness data required for Adventure Sync.

And my guess is that there was an (security) update that changed its behavior and it either introduced a bug or the implementation made by Niantic just does not work anymore.

But in order to investigate this further, we first would need to know which function, library or service Adventure Sync is using that fails and what the error or exception or response is. Then I could file a bug report against that. As long as I do not have that information I have only the Ingress app which is not working.

My System is Android 10, security patch level November 1st 2022, Play Store version also 34.4.16-21, Google Fit version 2023.01.20.00

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I contacted niantic directly from Ingress and pointed them here. They replied with this:

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue and any delayed responses. This is a known issue and already has been escalated to the relevant team. It will be very soon resolved and you will have a better gameplay experience.

Your understanding in this matter will be highly appreciated. Please keep an eye on our official blogs to know the latest news and updates.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried removing game app data?

I have had to do this for another issue, which fixed that issue.

Maybe it might work here.

FWIW, I don't have any issues with Ingress loading times

• As I already described I indeed did try this. But this is only a temporary workaround that only works because it will also disable Adventure Sync. As soon as Adventure Sync is enabled again the long loading times are back.

The problem does seem to affect only certain phone models, presumably with specific software versions.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

Installed update 2.110.1 and the problem still exists. Randomly slow loading times.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

Just updated to 2.110.2 and the problem still exists. 😠

• The problem still exists with version 2.111.2

Additionally I noticed the following: After some time in the game all actions will fail. For example hacking, deploying a resonator or entering the drone view after some waiting will all result in a timeout error message. Then, after a restart it will immediately ask for login. So it seems the client has been logged out from the server, but it does not recognize it and desperately tries to continue. But the server likely refuses to handle requests from a logged out client and the client does not understand this. This does not happen when adventure sync is disabled.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

Problem still exist with 2.112.2

• The problem still exists with version 2.115.4

• The problem still exists with version 2.116.2

• Problem still exists with version 2.123.2 on Samsung Galaxy S20FE.

• Problem is resolved with 2.124.2 on Samsung Galaxy S20FE.