Should Machina be a playable faction?

VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

For many years players in the Ingress community asked for a red faction. Now that we have one I think it would be better if there were actual players behind it. A Machina faction that players can capture unclaimed portals and create them as level 1 portals so they can eventually make links on there own. Players can't make the links, the automation takes over after you capture. Thoughts?

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

In short, nah.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many ways to play the game. Some only like to disrupt. Having actual players behind the faction means that it will be comparable to the region. Areas with no players will not have any red faction. Areas with many players should have red players. Following some game mechanics like not allowing links across links could be a good change. But the ability of a computer to play in areas is leaving existing players with a bad taste for the machina. It has a purpose and could be a great change to the game but it should be actual players.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion.

It should remain as an NPC faction

Maybe with slight rule changes, or maybe an artefact that can flip a portal to red faction.

We are so low on players right now that to have it as a player faction would spread the current player base too thin to keep the game viable.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did all the old players begging for a red faction go? Have they all quit? It was a really popular idea for the longest time and now we have it and nobody wants it. It really feels like the game has changed over the years and nothing Niantic does will ever be good enough. The players have changed, it's night and day different.

• I think having a true third faction would be interesting, but proposing that they are not able to participate in certain parts of the game (no linking or fielding) would turn people away from joining it.

Machina itself is cool and a lot of players are now able to finally destroy resos again. The only downside is how red links are able to cross blue and green links.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Machina is from a different universe. The rules they play by are different than ours.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Machina should not be playable.

One of the problems with a third faction is explicit or implicit collusion. In an active area it would be too easy for two factions to collaborate to bully the third faction and keep them from gaining any territory.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Machina should be playable but only by Niantic employees

• I am not enjoying the Machina portals. There is already so much to do with the two factions. Now I find myself spending excess time and gas money chasing after the long-distant red blockers that I don't have time to do the usual actions in my own area. I wish you would get rid of them.

• Machina is a pointless 'addition' to the game, they add nothing and get in the way of actually playing ingress. The point is to make fields, right? Randomly spamming red links across existing links making a throwing/rethrowing impossible is beyond annoying.. all it does is underline the lack of actual players, it won't be long before the entire portal network is a hot mess of red entanglement.

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭

What people requested was a fully-playable third faction, like RES/ENL are. That's not seems to be the purpose of Machina.

But... it will be interesting if certain RES/ENL actions during certain events could affect Machina's behaviour.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Lke faction that wins anomaly then can cross Machina Links for a set period of time

• For many years players in the Ingress community asked for a red faction.

That doesn't make it a good idea. 90% of the ideas posted on the forums are bad ideas. Three faction games regularly devolve into two factions and the 'red headed stepchild'. And worse, games that introduce a third faction usually result in that third faction consisting of the people who've been outcast from the others for toxicity, trolling and cheating. Those are the people generally asking for a third faction...

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

the lack of agent made fields too easy.

now you have to really control the field .

It's just the end of easy big field for cell domination for more cp actions & fight.

the game is evolving, no more easy 100km links alone and i think it's a good change