Late portal decay time

To date, portals have decayed exactly 7 days after they were deployed. I know and utilise the decay times of around 50 portals in my area and have groups deployed that normally decay at regular 3 minute intervals. Last weekend this decay time was delayed by anything up to 4 minutes, occasionally snapping back to real time before drifting again. Last night my first portal decayed 24 minutes late, the second didn't decay until after the ninth, the eleventh waited until the very end and decayed 54 minutes late.

Tagged:
54 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• I noticed the same on my portals 😒

• Last September, an experiment was announced: Fields affect decay rate of friendly Portals under the Field. If the decay time difference had anything to do with whether or not the relevant portal is under field, then this could be the reason. Unfortunately, according to my experience, there is no correlation. Maybe, the experiment went awry?
  • The last day I checked some portals from which I wrote down the decay times and I can confirm the observation.

All portals decayed too late. Also the delay is not constant but appears to be rather random. Most where from 10 to 20 minutes late, one decayed even 42 minutes too late.

Also the portals where not under any field, so that can be ruled out.

• Last night I should have been gathering portal keys but with portal decay currently unpredictable there was no point.

Instead I watched a set of 26 portals decay. All these portals are in one small market town and were deployed by me at times I have recorded. They are not linked or under a field.

The decay sequence began 26 minutes late and none of the portals decayed on time. The shortest delay was 11 minutes, the longest was 112 minutes.

As others have noted, this seems to be entirely random and utterly broken.

• New delay record: 246 minutes 🤔

It would be nice to know what's going on.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen the opposite, yet equally weird, happen in my area. Multiple occasions of portals decaying a day early. For example, a portal that was recently captured on a Thursday decayed to neutral the following Wednesday. No attacks, frackers, or anything else to reduce its health in the time between.

• magicmarkusmagicmarkus ✭✭
    edited February 2023

I remember double decaying of portals was an issue once.

Found this from March 4, 2019:

Ingress Updates [ENG]

Niantic has received reports of unintended and erratic Portal and Fracker behavior taking a few forms:

1. Portals not decaying at all.

2. Portals decaying faster than usual, potentially multiple times in a day.

3. Frackers not disappearing after they've expired.

They say to be actively working on resolving these issues and that they will report back once more info are available! Stay tuned!

Maybe it is back?

• It's getting worse, I had one portal at 240 minutes and counting last night but I really had to sleep. It would be nice to know if Niantic have at least noted this issue, does anyone know how you yell in here?

• Can confirm, it is still a total mess and it is getting worse.

I think 5 votes is not enough to catch their attention.

• Getting real bad. I am waiting on a portal that should have decayed more than 8 hours ago. Yesterday it was many minutes on one portal and a couple hours on another.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

In conversations with Japanese agents, we heard of similar cases.

It is considered necessary to check.

• Yes, it's stuffing up my recharge schedule too. Really frustrating and not a welcome surprise from NIA!

• MJ78MJ78 ✭✭✭

Is this issue still ongoing?

It was first reported last Thursday. I thought it might of been resolved by now!

• MontyBishopMontyBishop ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Still ongoing, unfortunately 😔

A random 10-50 minutes late is usual and about 10% of the portals late even hours.

• Hi everyone, thank you for reporting this issue. Please share the Intel map portal link to help us investigate this.

• J1vvyJ1vvy ✭✭
    edited February 2023

Revelations https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=45.248948,-66.082443

Captured at 4:31 PM Atlantic time did not decay until between midnight and 7 AM next morning. Threw several links when it should have decayed.

• Just an example of those for which I remember the exact decay time: https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=47.40647,19.249195

On this portal in the last 10 days the decay time was 10-30 minutes later, than it should be, and on 14.02 and 11.02 it was late more, than 3 hours. But this is also happening with all the other portals in the area.

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

EDITED (I hope you wrote down my exemple)

@NianticBlue an exemple of mine.

Post edited by liyu1 on
  • Has anyone seen a portal decaying on time? From the portals I have checked all decayed at least 10 minutes late.

• None of mine have decayed on time (or early) this week. Also the 'decay delay' for any particular portal is different each day

• Noone has mentioned yet, but might be useful: this delay does not add up. After delays of several hours, the next day it might decay 10 minutes after the original time.

• I have the same problemen. Decay time is too late, Several hours at a lot of portals. Niantic fix this please

• MJ78MJ78 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Some crazy stuff going on here.

I've just waited over an hour for stuff to decay, which still hasn't happened automatically. I've even checked past comms history to verify deploy times last week.

When I move towards some of these portals in the scanner, they then decay. Doesn't happen for all.

As someone I was speaking to suggested, has this issue got anything to do with a bug introduced during the retirement of Quantum Capsules?

• This bug started around that time. But, retirement of the Quantum capsules supposedly freed up some server capacity, shouldn't have slowed down...

• I set up a spreadsheet to monitor the decay of portals. There are 10 portals and none have the decay at the correct time, ranging from a few minutes to almost 48 hours...

The next day, everything changes again.

And today, the portal that twice had delays of more than 36 hours, suffered decay twice… 🙄

• magicmarkusmagicmarkus ✭✭
    edited February 2023

Steps to reproduce:

1. Scroll back in the activity log 24 hours.
    2. Find the next capture of a portal that has not been neutralized yet.
    3. Take note of the capture time of the found portal.
    4. Watch the portal today at the capture time, it should decay exactly then.

The issue probably occurs everywhere, and definitely near Niantic Headquarters in San Francisco.

For example I watched "Little City Market Businessman" ( https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=37.798681,-122.408724&z=17&pll=37.798681,-122.408724 ): Captured at 22:09 UTC, decay was at 22:38 UTC.

Edit: fixed link

• Tonight's example These 3 should have decayed at 19.46, 19.49 and 19.55. It's now 23.43

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

glad I finally found this page. I didn’t initially think of it as a bug. I thought I was either just tracking decays wrong or it was a decision by Niantic.

at least now I know I’m not nuts.

I too let key portals decay to rebuild and noticed in the past week that portals were decaying a little late. By Tuesday it was getting ridiculous with some portals decaying several hours late. And then last night a local portal I captured a few weeks ago at 7 pm didn’t decay until almost midnight.

For now I’m hoping this is MZFPK related and everything will revert to normal after. Or at least we get an explanation after.

• MJ78MJ78 ✭✭✭

It was more a case of the programming code added to the game to remove Quantums, causing a new bug in the game.