Use for Battle Beacons in future?

PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that it seems we won’t have an Anomaly Badge that can be earned by using Battle Beacons anywhere from Q2 onwards, does this render them mostly useless?

I know the announcement talks about Agents organising competitive events with them, but I haven’t seen that. Mostly I’ve seen them used to get the badges for the Anomalies.

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Chiaki was a big motivator for having Battle Beacons do more for player engagement.

I know some players (not my city) would be interested in a scoreboard, showing Battle Beacon scores alongside Mind Units. However we haven't heard from Brian Rose if that will ever happen.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Chiaki and Brian did a pilot test for Battle Beacons for an Auckland Ingress First Saturday.

I do believe that my city wasn't the best candidate for this pilot test, as only a couple of players are interested, myself being one of the 2.

Maybe Sydney would be better?

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

It's interesting that niantic plans to ki.ll the goose that lays the golden egg - certainly they moved quite a few BBs during those "anomalies".

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont understand it either but i think niantic want agents go to physical location onsite

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

That's hard to say provided the next anomaly that will use them will probably be in Q2

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

How about what they were introduced to do??? Create battles

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Battle beacon anomalies moved BB inventory - AND they got people to scan portals. Seven scans and it spawns a free beacon at cycle change. Either way is a big win for Niantic. I can't imagine that they'd stop it.

Personally I use it to auto-flip fields so I can throw them again. BIG AP there.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the announcement talks about Agents organising competitive events with them, but I haven’t seen that.

Years before the COVID pandemic hit, the idea I saw proposed was for Niantic to provide the means for Agents to organize their own mini-anomalies, which back then meant cluster battles and shards and links stars and fields and who knows what else. In that light, Battle Beacons are sort of too little, too late.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Majority didnt even battle, just deploy resonators and move on, most did the bbs themself to get most points for the team, if u was 1 vs 5 it felt why give the other team more points? so they should re-design how the scoring system works but guess they want people to travel to the onsite locations that will host the ornaments for future bbs after we get one last anomaly bb worldwide.

• XK150XK150 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no city where a large numbers of players are interested in battle beacons. Beacons are going to join missions and GORUCK events as minimally-supported vestigial features of Ingress.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This is incorrect, there are quite a few cities that do enjoy doing Battle Beacons.

There are a thousands of players that want to do GO Ruck and Mission Day

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is that the Missions API hasn't been touched for years.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mission API works well enough.

Just requires updating.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

That was my box. One faction basically didn't show. The other got uncontested 7s to cap out on Feb.-Apr.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Battle Beacon originally came from players wanting to have small-scale anomaly battles locally.

Well, unfortunately, that aspect of the game has been slow to develop, but it will remain in the future.

And it would be even better if the Shard could do the same thing.

And that could be used for a lot of different events.

This allowed us to hold the anomaly in a place that would have been difficult to hold before.

In Japan, Shizuoka, Ueda, Beppu, and Otaru.

These were held because of the players' candidacy.

Therefore, there is an appeal in being able to create a flow that is different from the anomaly set by Niantic.

Currently, Niantic is tabulating the results, but if we ask Fevgames to do it, it would be possible as an option for First Saturday, or even as a mission day plus.

Originally, Ingress had a lot of player-driven events, not Niantic-driven events.

So I look forward to seeing that develop in the future.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

All we know is that we have one more global BB in the future then its over with that , only onsite anomaly that awards a badge so seems niantic is movin away from that format which is a surprise to me.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we? I don’t think it’s known if March will involve Beacons yet, just the task system.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there enough demand for in person anomalies still? I'm not sure there is in most areas. Task based system could be a better option to get more areas involved. Traveling to anomaly cities isn't cheap.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

ah no the global is probably planned later this year after march

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

The battle beacon itself is beneficial in that it makes it possible to visualize the winners and losers of portal battles, which until now have been difficult to see externally.

Therefore, depending on the content of future anomaly battles, there is a good chance that battle beacons will continue to be used in portal battles.

Note that the March MZFPK is more of a hexathlon, as you can earn an anomaly medal by completing a certain number of tasks.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

Ingress, anomalies, and mission day events have been a big part of the game, including in the past.

And Ingress has not been successful with decentralized events held on specific days like Pokémon GO.

Therefore, we do not know if Ingress will be as successful as Pokémon GO with a play system that keeps you doing tasks that are defined every week.

Well, with interesting and cool event medals and events with month-long tasks, there will be a certain excitement in a decentralized system.

However, unless the content is as well thought out as VIA LUX Adventures, it may not be that intriguing.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

One thing I would like to add, including a request, is that if anomalies are to be held twice to four times a year, once every quarter to half a year, it would be good to have a competition for the venue of one of these events, as was done last year, with a candidacy from the players.

Last year, the candidacy of the players created new possibilities for the venue of the Anomaly.

Until now, the only host cities for Anomaly have been large cities.

In Japan in particular, the host city with the smallest population since 2015, when Ingress first became popular, was Takamatsu, with a population of about 420,000, partly because it has the largest number of participants in the world.

However, of the cities where players ran to host an anomaly last year, Ueda, Beppu, and Otaru were regional cities with populations of about 100,000 each.

The fact that such small cities were able to hold the Anomaly without any problems means that many smaller cities will be able to hold the event in the future.

I believe that this will expand the possibilities in line with the Ingress philosophy, just like Mission Day Lite, which was announced last year.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Battle Beacons have a fundamental flaw, not interacting with them is valid strategy. If you are out numbered, why would you bother trying to take them when all it does is run up the score for the opposing team.

This is especially an issue when using them for an anomaly, there should never be a reason to discourage play.

I honestly think theres an argument to combine them with frackers (double or increased output for the duration) and remove the interactions = CAT increase = hack output increase.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

from the looks of no events q1 we can asume its not gonna be before quest in march

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

For that matter, category levels were abolished and measured in last year's Yokohama Anomaly.

Therefore, measurement can be done either way.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Ah interesting, it still stands for the hack output right?

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

The output of the hack seemed to have gone up.

At any rate, the anomaly score calculation means that you can do both.

In addition, when there was a category level of battle beacon, not withdrawing to withdraw was not a traditionally exciting aspect. Still, on the other hand, it surely gave birth to a new strategy.

As was the case with UPH in the past, these new battles have the power to change conventional winners and losers.

The camp that adapts better to the new battles has a better chance of winning.