Should Agents be compensated for unannounced server outages?

PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

On Niantic’s other game, there’s often something that breaks during an event. When this happens, they offer makeup events, so that everyone can still participate.

Just a few examples. I raised that the servers had gone down during the QCap deletion and asked if there would be anything for this but was told there would not be.

Would this be different if it happened during an event, or do you think we would still get nothing?

Comments

• The QCap deletion was not what I would term "An event".

If a server outage would happen during an actual event, I might expect Niantic to extend the event window or organise a makeup event.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. It was just the most recent server outage I could think of.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

It was what, 90 minutes?

In the past, if you had apex applied before the outage then you can contact support to replace the items.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure there will be some compensation if the disruption is severe.

For example, items or event entry fees may be refunded.

The resumption of events is almost unlikely, given that Ingress has few decentralized events.

Unlike the players of some games, Ingress agents seem to have closed their scanners and gone off to the pub for a beer with their buddies after saying "Soon" rather than shouting "HearUsNiantic" for compensation for items when a failure occurs.

So I hope Niantic buys me a beer. (Joke, of course.)

• edited January 2023

Compensation is generally for paying customers. CORE members, validly could receive them, but PoGo's revenue comes from a majority of players so I guess they tend to just give it to everyone.

Additionally, there are literally "long term players" who complain in Ingress when they're given free stuff like Apex and Frackers.

Can't please people...

EDIT: Additionally, we did get a week of short KC programs, which is in line with the outage benefits for PoGo.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The Walking Dead: Our World, frequently provided compensation packages for the many server issues.

But really, the only thing that players need to be compensated for, is losing their Sojourner because of an Ingress Server issue and Noone at Niantic reinstating it. This group maybe small, but please don't ignore them.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

how can you lose sojourner with a few hours only outages since you can keep it just by using the drone.

or only hacking once a day ? but then that's looking for losing it 😅

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Another game I play, which is an online game, gives you compensation for each outage they have, even if you aren't affected by it (ie an Android outage or a new feature that didn't roll out correctly, or there was something for an incorrect description). Everyone still gets compensation. Game has been around for 6 or 7 years. I've played for 3 or 4. It's a nice surprise when logging in. Keeps me engaged and keeps me spending in that game. Buying extra stuff every so often.

*Edit I've probably spent 5x more in this game than I've spent on Ingress. They have communication, they have compensation, they CARE. Niantic has often said that they will work on communication, but it never seems to get any better.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

If only a few more agents core subscribe, niantic can afford to care about ingress.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

It would require an 12-24 hour outage to get to compensation territory.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile in past i built some layered thing,which took something about two hours,mostly because classic scanner was buggy that evening. So Nia decided to make a rollback due to lags - and also rolled my fields back. I dont like fielding,but spent two cold laggy hours and decided to wrote to support.As a result - that fields were restored next morning.

I don't like when i lose some strategic portal due to lag of charging OR like happened that day when qcaps were replaced(me personally and my wife couldn't enter just looking on attack alerts) - but i know that answer is simple: to contact support if U lose something due to lag(doesn't matter if it is store item or not). As i haven't faced help about bad actors,- i had help all the time i faced troubles because of "game side".

And... Lets imagine Nia will consider to give us something as a bonus after lags. What should it be? Rollback - can affect someone's work but help others. Some cmu? Okay for me but not okay for Nia,they are avoiding direct cmu gifts all the time i play. Something as a free store bundle - again,everyone needs something diffirent (i liked that toast beacons at IWWC'22). Raised stats - that doesn't fit everyone,for example imagine someone is trying to have exact AP or stat number. Ingress is not that "other game",we here have diffirent ingame dynamic and play-style.

• Lol. Last anomaly I went to in Yokohama, servers completely crapped themselves for most of the event. It was impossible to do anything other than mindlessly attack, recharge, or whatever, you'd get zero updates, client desync errors, recharge overload or whatever messages, portals would remain un-rechargeable or unattackable even with a client reload, at the same time agent next to me would have correct portal state and would be able to recharge or attack it. For a dead game with probably < 10k active players (and i'm being generous here) completely lagging to the point of being unusable during an anomaly event where you got at MOST 1000 players (including remote rechargers here) doing something in one cell is inexcusable. At this point just shut everything down and call it done.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Heard of no issues there except for intel crashing. LA was smooth sailing for me.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

if you are so frustrated just switch to another game and let the rest of us enjoy ingress

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

The delay in the first w1 was indeed terrible in the Yokohama anomaly.

It was even appropriate to call it a failure rather than a delay.

I guess the Niantic server guy was wrong in his estimation.

After w2, I would not say it was very comfortable, but it never got to the point where it interfered with my gameplay.

Next time, please give the server staff the utmost consideration.

Japan in particular is under a lot of strain.

Conversely, if it is comfortable in Japan, the rest of the world should be very comfortable.

• Yes but I've lost count how many times Niantic **** up their servers during events.

Hence it will be something like "Thank you for your feedback, I've passed this down to the Ingress team to take into consideration."

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

"For a dead game with probably < 10k active players (and i'm being generous here) completely lagging to the point of being unusable during an anomaly event where you got at MOST 1000 players (including remote rechargers here) doing something in one cell is inexcusable."

It's quite a bit more than that. In my market alone counting tourists there are easily 300 active players.