A "Niantic Labs Innovasions" option must not be enabled by default

How to reproduce:

Just launch Ingress 2.108.1.

On any device, on any OS.

Problem:

"Auto Confirm Item Pickup" is enabled by default and it confuses some, I mean many, Agents.

Please, please, please, just DO NOT ENABLE an expemental feature by default.

And auto-try-picking-up-item-out-of-range is meaningless. Please don't do that.

Tagged:
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• This is working as intended. The options are things they want you to try but if you choose to disable you can.

This is a compromise for just introducing a feature and not giving us any option to turn it off...

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

experimental stuff should not be turned on by default only by those knowing what it does after u enable it urself

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perringaiden The options are things they want you to try but if you choose to disable you can

As I mentioned in the other thread, the switch for nearby portal indicators is a direct counterexample to that theory.

The initial setting for a switch introduced in this section should be the same as what the client did before (for portal indicators: on; for auto-pickup of items: off). I don't believe they turned the native refresh rate switch on when it was first put here.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Agree with that.

If native rate was "off" by default - it comes as "off" and users can enable and try,is it worth or not.

If nearby portals was "on" by default -then it comes as "on" but can be disabled.

So why this time "autopickup" is "on" while it is meant to be "off" by default?

It is not a bug but maybe a suggestion how it is meant to be.

• That's not what "Please try this out before we make it permanent" is for.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

What isn't?

If you want to beta-test something, you release the beta, people volunteer to test it, and then they give you feedback that lets you evaluate whether the beta worked. Betas are not in general forced on the users of your product (the initial release of Ingress Prime notwithstanding).

• edited February 2023

This is not a beta test. This isn't even a release candidate.

This is a feature they've released, but temporarily given you an option to turn it off.

This is a step up from "We changed the game, live with it", but of course Ingress players can't accept compromise even if they asked specifically for it, and have to find more fault.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

To me this feature is the way it should have been from the get go 10 years ago.