Nerffing big fields

Here's a mechanic I want to see. For any field with a link over 25km that lasts for the current cycle plus 1 full scoring cycle, it loses any link that is over 25km. So that's like 2+ weeks max. Can change to 10/50/100 km for mu scored, so it identifies urban/rural/water large field.

Let's face it. With the player base as is, you know what fields never die and the board is relatively static. And there's a reason those fields and links last that long

Everyone wins. Everyone get a shot to make the field again. Cheaters get to rethrow for mu. Underdogs get a chance to block. People perma covered or being griefed can actually throw a field. The regular players get a better changing battlefield and more mu/ap. Scoring will be more competitive. Strategy will come more into play. Niantic wins as there's less people complaining and more people moving and playing.....maybe.

Comments

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of areas with no competition with standing fields that last for months or even years. Portals just keep being recharged with no turnover. It's a lack of players at issue. If you have nobody to take your fields down and you keep the portals charged you never get ap for throwing fields. The game has become stagnant. Looking at fields that are uncontested isn't my idea of a fun game. So blame the people recharging stagnant areas and the lack of competition. Don't change the game dynamics over it.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, lack of active players is currently the big issue, @NianticBrian should be focusing more on advertising our game more.

However, Ingress lacks features that many players prefer to play with.

Something that looks to be challenging in the near future.

How lack of anything in the last 2 months, does not help fostering advertising Ingress to prospective new players

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

We have Machina with basically no context.

We don't have any advertising, including within their own events.

We still have biggish issues in game, like that pesky old lagg that no one can seem to figure out.

No events for months.

Big fields aren't that big of an issue. Easy mode has been enabled by Niantic to allow you to field under fields. I often field under my own fields. Go take a trip, knock down those fields. You even get AP for doing it. 😘

• I don't think you can underfield currently. Guess I can test. I thought that was during the whatever last mini event and ended.

Would point out I'm crippled at the moment. All 3 anchors are in places our team can't get to. See military base abuse thread. But that's besides the point of this thread. Big fields are only not an issue if you're not being permafielded or griefed. In some places like utah, player base has completely gone away because of perma locked fields

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot that logging a report from in game crashes the game when the report response comes in. Gotta love it.

• VaskinCallVaskinCall ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I really like sitting under the fields 🥰

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to sell the game to new agents when the entire Q1 is empty of fun events, but yeah....

Works just fine. There is a limit of 500 meters unless there is a special event, where it's usually 8 km. Go find a cluster of portals and field 'em up. But you've recently said in another thread that you typically don't go out of your way for Ingress. Based on that, you wouldn't even try to go out of your way to play?

In other thread, you mention that one is a lighthouse out in the water. Time to charter a boat or find a boat friend and take a trip. Do something NEW. Try something you haven't done before. You might like it. You never know til you try it.

• edited January 2023

Lol 500 meters. That's not really fielding, when you've played as long as we have. Any field under 1k for me is a snooze. Any field that scores less than 0.1% of your score box is inconsequential. I no longer go out of way because the playfield is essentially static.

Would point out we have players with boats. The boat just isn't big enough to handle that winter chop, which is why i said it probably wouldn't die until april. Lol, there's nothing there. 1 day to bleep 1 portal surrounded by boonies is pay to win. Those boonies also getting a foot of snow this weekend. Plus, I've already been to those boonies. So I've already done everything else but that. And that doesn't interest me. It's not even that interesting a lighthouse.

Here's some fun things I've done just solo. A field with portals in 3 different countries. Field with portals in 3 different states. Field with 3 different islands. Field with Canada and 2 different states. Cover half of a medium state. Field 3 landmarks. 3 lighthouses (all reachable by walking). Cover part of Chicago....from Michigan. Covered a country.

Like I said in another thread, it's likely time to hang it up.

Could work on those silly onxy badges you don't have. Could work on some awesomely fun and grindy wings for onyx badges. I worked on wings for my Mind Controller a while back. Used micro fielding (ie no AP generator, no flip and rethrow stuff) to do it. It was a fun personal goal to work on. Would of been even easier to do now, that you can field under fields. I went to a bunch of parks I hadn't been to in years, micro fielding, grabbing new uniques, walking all over the place. Fun stuff.

Make big Ingress goals, then make smaller obtainable Ingress goals that you **** for, and work your way up to onyx or wings. In the process of micro fielding the same smallish town area, I found a bunch of new restaurants to try out and enjoy.

• Game is what you make of it. Those silly badges aren't interesting enough for me to specifically progress to. They get there when they get there. If they don't, meh whatever.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Or make fields MU dont count from one cycle to another, then it doesnt matter if the field is up, it will not count to current cycle.. easy fix for niantic.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Before we wanted to grind for the MU Onyx Badge, but when we saw how backpackers, bots, and spoofers could easily get that badge; it really devalued and defeated the purpose of **** by fielding because the keys they used were not physically hacked/farmed. They can rethrow with duplicated keys without any effort. Somehow, physically hacking/farming for fielding keys has more value and is unforgettable because of the exploration, memories, and stories associated with each field ops. Those elements made fielding more fun for us back in those days. I tend to agree with what that master fielder alluded to.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't know that g*r*i*n*d*i*n*g* is a banned word, interesting...

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Otrera35 Yes, and it's annoying because we use that G-word all the time when describing repetitive actions to rack up stats. Presumably it's starred out because one version of it is... an adult behavior, let's just say. It's hard to talk about things that the forum censors without using other censored words.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Insert bad joke about an American Football penalty synonymous with putting hands where they don't belong, lol.

Like it but illegal use of hands. Is where I was going.

There is a penalty in American Football called illegal use of hands. Usually that means either hands to the face or impeding the receiver. G...... suggests a much worse version.