I want to hear your version of Ingress Prime.

Hello all.

I want to hear your version of how you see Ingress Prime.

Do you see this as a wargame?

or

Do you prefer to walk & link & create fields?

Do add new questions and answers as well, I like to hear all of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can start.

Ingress Prime for me is like chess, White vs Black. Blue vs Green, so I would say war game from my perspective.

It doesnt feel that way, it feels more like walk & link & create fields & wait untill the network die & start over again.

Comments

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it is definitely a game of chess for control of territory. I live in an area that has significant competition (although less so than a few years ago) and I can always find something strategically interesting to do. Walk and link and create fields isn't much of my thing, but last weekend I jumped in the car at 1 a.m. and drove a moderate distance to take down some annoying links from California to Hawaii so that my opponents couldn't easily rethrow a big field.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a driving game. Whomever has the most time and gas money can take over everything. Very little competition and next to no strategy. Just drive circles all day every day playing. The days of friendly competition are gone. Niantic really needs to shake things up. It's gotten real boring.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

In my box it's a form of martial art form a mental skill challenge, and socialization. Walking, getting good at knowing multiple transit system timetables, and pound someone's portals into submission, all while learning your opponents/clients habits while the cool people you roll with.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is akin to the board game Risk or Go (not poke go, but Go, also known as stones, very old board game).

I never know why it keeps being referred to Capture The Flag, it is nothing like that.

A wargame? No, and yes.

Capturing territory like Risk, can be seen as similar to actual warfare.

As for linking and fielding, depends what my mood or time is like, sometimes I like to just meander, other times I might prefer to make layered fields, other times I might just do Missions. Driving may or may not not be what I feel like on that day.

During the peak of Ingress, it was fun to lead the opposition around, fielding over their homes too.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Foursquare with weapons

• When you say "Drive game", was it before or after you hit level 8.

Been doing a lot of walking & capturing portals & I agree, the competition is low here, but I am still new to this. I am just trying to understand the game & the balance it self. Somethings make sense & somethings just doesnt make sense.

So you need to drive to gain faster AP or can a walk down town with many neutral portals give you faster AP.

Very important that it is neutral portals, not enemies portals.

In my area people get in their car and drive and play the game. It's very rare anyone actually walks around playing. The fastest way to level up is to micro field areas with large amounts of portals. Ideally done on foot. But nobody does that anymore. Driving and playing allows you to cover much larger areas and make larger fields but isn't great for gaining ap and leveling up. It seems the game is only played while driving anymore. Speed lock used to discourage players from playing and driving at the same time but they changed the settings to allow it.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the active times (for me 2013 to about 2017 or 2018), local RES would often get together and do a dinner & farm night.

We'd walk a local park for hours and have fun and farm.

Unfortunately almost no one (including me) plays here now, so those walking farm nights are long gone.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@IPHacker writes:

Very important that it is neutral portals, not enemies portals.

Nope! Smashing built/linked areas and building them gets you more AP than just building, assuming AP is your goal.

Alternately you could just follow me around because I'm known for blowing through giant swaths of enemy portals and leaving a sea of grey in my wake.

• IPHackerIPHacker ✭✭
    edited January 2023

Do you people see this game as a PVP or more towards single player BUT in a multiplayer game? or battlefield might be the right word.

• Ingress.

A strange game.

The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

It's a Capture the Flag type of game with a creepy twist wherein you get followed or stalked by strangers.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
  • GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It is more like Risk than CtF or Tic-tac-toe

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

What plot? It's non-existent. It's just Niantic promoting its products in its store (i.e., decorative medals/badges, battle beacons, etc.). Comparing Ingress to chess and martial arts is an infamita to the latter.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, there is still a lag issue despite the removal of the QCs.

The lag is almost worse now even with the removal of the quantums. It's just part of the Ingress experience.

• So you see this as a wargame & you prefer walk, link & create fields?

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I always explained it as real time strategy game, but the map is the real world, and the units are the real people. Though that might be a bit twisted to my perspective as an organizer of field arts and BAFs.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Settlers of Catan and everyone can put Fritz the Robber Baron out to stop you from claiming longest road, and largest army.