User experience could be better when collecting dropped items from destroyed Machina portal

HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2022 in General

When you destroy a Machina portal you can see lots of items "on the ground":

Collecting all these items is not very user friendly: You need to select every item one by one and then hit "Acquite" button. Very often you even get an extra pop-up menu where you need to select an item you want to pick up:

There could be a new "Acquire All" button below "Acquire" button. Hitting "Acquire All" picks up all items from the ground inside your 40 meter circle.

Additionally there could be a context sensitive menu when long pressing map: "Acquire All". Similar to long pressing portal: You get Hack menu with hack with key / no key.

Samsung S10+
Android 12
Post edited by NianticVK on

Comments

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

I'd settle for the disambiguation menu being optional at this point....

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Disambiguation helps, however, during Anomalies, it is a valid tactic to drop rubbish items close to the portal, thereby preventing the opposition to capture back the portal.

A "collect All" button would break this valid tactic

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

You seem to have misspelled "underhand tactic". :-P

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Its like they drop a little too many items, ican see how a more inexperienced player will feel confused what to do with all those items... also without any badge there isnt much motivation take these out unless some links blocking u ...

• I would settle with an acquire all button when it shows the disambiguation dialog...

Any items shown in the disambiguation dialog could then be picked up at once

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Aye, that would be good, because sometimes you do not want to pick up all items, sometimes you do.

Seriously though, would this help during anomaly events when you're deliberately trying to hinder or confuse your opponent to win a portal in a critical split second? Or would players in general not care, and having the Pick Up all button be worthwhile in the heat of battle?

• liyu1liyu1 ✭✭✭

🤔 OK. But what if ur inventory is almost full like u only have space for 1 item. With acquire all u go over ur inventory limit. So maybe thats why u have to pick them up separately?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

It's no problem glyph hacking at 1999/2000 or 2499/2500 to then be over the limit.

The disambiguation pop-up was created because there was times where you couldn't pick up an object. One of those times is definitely when dropping a key and it's in the middle of the portal. I remember it was added sometime in 2015, I think before Shonin.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It would then just pick up the one item at random I would expect

• Just disable the button if inventory can't hold all items displayed.

You can't pick up a capsule if it would result in too much inventory

• shakes cane

I remember before capsules when we had to pick up 600 XMPs off the ground one by one, with consistency bugs if someone else picked up one too, uphill both ways, in the snow....

🤣

• This has never been an issue previously, since capsules didn't work to be picked up, and passcodes allowed you to exceed your limit.

However this would become a tactic, by dropping hundreds of items for someone, then allowing them to hit Acquire All, if the button was active and allowed you to exceed your inventory like a passcode.

Likely the reason is more for processing, because every one of those items on the ground has a UUID. That UUID has to be processed to ensure only one person picks it up, instead of multiple, and this would cause delays if you queued a bunch of items at the same time.

• How about a press and swipe action, like you can do in Pikmin Bloom, to pick up all the nectar items.

You'd have to be in range of the items, but a quick press and swipe over the screen would let you pick up everything quickly. Then at the end when you release your press, you'd get a popup of the items you picked up like you get from a hack.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who has destroyed over 700 of the Machina portals so far, yeah, picking up the **** it drops is very time consuming. But I don't see a way to fix it, other than some sort of a pickup or acquire all type of option. That idea feels very "automatic" to me though. Where you aren't playing the game, but automating part of it. So, I'm at a spot where I don't know the best way forward for it.

Would I like a acquire all or pickup all option/button? Yeah, sure. But does it also feel like cheating/automating the game? Big time.

I continually leave most of the gear that drops on the ground. I tend to cherry pick the mods, but usually the keys and resonators are left on the ground unless I need the mid/higher level resonators.

I went to a park yesterday, and destroyed 40+ Machina portals. The amount of gear on the ground is more than I could even hope to pickup. Also, short on time, and it was chilly out yesterday (36F / 2C). I think I left over half of the mods on the ground, due to space, time, and it being cold out.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Usually it's rare mods, r3-4+ I pick up from a Machina take down. Keys are dependson the spot. If the board is open microfield will happen. If the takedown was to relieve pressure on a block I might even leave the keys. 9 times of 10 takedowns are uniques so liking that a lot.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Uniques? Pffft. I've been cleaning the same areas repeatedly. They aren't unique locations. I cleared one area on Thursday. Friday there was already 4 new red portals sh1tlinking. It's basically an easy way to work on purifier wings and another set of wings for liberator & engineer. If it's not freezing cold I might pickup & deploy the resos for yet more wings (builder).

No matter how I play with the Machina portals, it's always costly gas to get there. 40 minutes of driving round trip weekly to clean red stuff that I otherwise wouldn't be driving. I didn't think that Niantic could get us to drive even more than we already did. Guess we were proved wrong.

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

This is really good feature in 2.108.1, personally think that even better than the proposed "Acquire All" button.

Thanks!

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

should auto pickup only when in range and still show the object popup when too far.

when activated you can no longer see what key is on floor "out of range" message

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

Yes, auto pickup should really apply to items only within 40 m range. Should apply to all items not only keys.

Noticed the same yesterday. It was required to go to Advanced Settings and set off the "Auto Config Item Pickup" to see whether the key laying on the ground more than 40 meters away was local or some distant key.