Red Portals for Year 10 - Machina - PvE

Wow, Ingress developers have been working hard and did an awesome job!

What do you think of the red faction aka Machina aka PvE aka Player vs Environment?

After the LA Epiphany Dawn anomoly - One red portal dropped into grey clusters around the world... I think clusters that hadn't had much activity in a while. Red portals start with eight half-charged L1 resonators.

But they can grow (L2, L3, etc)... and if they're L2+, they can send a link to other grey portals, and turn them into an L1 red. And the virus spreads.

How do you think it will affect gameplay? Here are some:

• Areas with only one faction will have something to fight
  • A new agent can easily **** the L1s - advance their badges and and collect cool gear
  • If you take vacation someplace no one plays, you'll have to **** the red before you can get the unique captures
  • Perma fields will be easier to bring down

Remember to use ingress-x.ingress for intel! Here are examples: https://intel-x.ingress.com/intel?ll=-40.47141,175.281879&z=17 and https://intel-x.ingress.com/intel?ll=54.167615,10.550227&z=15&pll=54.170704,10.545323

Tagged:

Comments

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who travels for work and rolls into towns in the middle of nowhere with nothing but neutral portals, this is exciting. Potential for a little something to decompress with after a long day of work.

How will this make taking down perma fields easier?

Why another thread, there are already two concerning this exact topic at the top of page 1...

• Everytime a Red Faction or Portal is mentioned i always call back to the portal i found while visiting family for dinner in the next town before my early Agent Retirement and i saw a red portal constantly on fire on the map,i was obsessed to find it and claim it but no matter what i did it wouldnt change back,a call out on comms revealed my red fire portal was a fracker portal that my side had broke when the events were running nearby before my time sadly..i claimed the portal but it was still on 🔥 surrounding my teams color.

I digress however a third faction would require a new mentor or an A.I Mentor with a personality split between that of ADA & Jarvis that thinks its both of them combined and a higher power but with a stranger personality...A Rogue Sentient Anomoly called...ADARVIS.

Who Programmed or how this A.I Came to be has to be uncovered in the usual story based elements & gameplay and what new secrets will be revealed and linked to the past or future of Ingress ??

Wait a Minute where did that Drone Come From...Hang On a second since when did drones have laser targeting dots and why do i have 3..no...4..5....9...10..

Ohhhh i Dont Like This Scenario *gulp*

<Conversation Terminated Unexpectedly>

• I want to be able to switch to team red.

• Thanks. Assuming red faction links can't be crossed then this hopefully will reduce the amount of huge fields practically possible in populated areas. I'm tempted to go quiet for a while myself just to allow some red activity around here.

• I agree. We need to have drone battles! As far as the constant red fire portal. There was one for the longest time in Atlanta at the original Krispy Kreme donuts. Afterward ironically the building caught fire twice. Second time burned down. Now sits as an empty lot. :(

• Is this one of them? I found this one while I was travelling to my old active area

And this is the result after I burst the said Portal with XMP

• I have found some near Leipzig in Germany. I have **** them…yeah.

really funny

• There a few of these showing up in my area. My curiosity is more about the device in the center. Some have the normal portal “flame” but these have an object in them.

A Twitter posting had a L8 portal and the thing in the center had evolved into something bigger.

I am also curious to see if this exposes lone remote portals not easily found on the map. In rural areas it might even create large blocking links that will cut down on super long links.

-Sundermeyer

#unknown #red #investigation

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭

I love how they slowly turn portals into big red obscure crystals. Hope I can see them here soon.

• Everyone has had their ideas about a 3rd faction but a couple years ago I posted something that this new feature appears to have elements of.

Who knows if it had any impact.

#unknown #red #investigation

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Is this Niantic's answer to keep things interesting in Ingress Prime while we have a dwindling number of players?

• I like everything about this idea. I only wish there were a few of those red portals close so I could get a better look!

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

in dead inacitve areas yeah to make something happen

• I really nwish Niantic would be more active in explaining it. Then again Naintic loves to be cryptic

I’ve only seen one red portal in my area so far. Wish I hadn’t helped blow it up, but it was in the first couple of hours and we were excited!

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Feels like this machina thing was a flop. A few red portals popped up, they got destroyed and it's over now. Haven't seen anything since. No information from Niantic on it either. It was a neat idea in concept. But now it's back to the same old Ingress.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

It's an expected move to use an AI to help keep the game afloat, but it doesn't elicit enough excitement or interest, probably due to the lack of communication on the part of Niantic. What intrigued me was seeing a red faction badge earned by another agent in a previous event concerning the red faction. Why can't we have an event and obtain that Ingress red faction badge?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, Red Faction will be coded to score MU, and be more common.

Because right now it is just a curiosity, no where near a threat that requires a counter offensive

• I would absolutely love it if hacking them dropped gear equivalent to their level - hacking L8 portals only drops L4 gear at most, while zapping you for 100% of your XM tank quite often. It's a shame.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i think badge will come maybe next year a global and red will infect more

At the start of the new cycle, we saw several new infections pop up. Now begins the game of letting it grow or taking it out before the opposite faction gets the stats…

• MrGallian0MrGallian0 ✭✭
    edited November 2022

I wish the Red Portals near me were not on private university property. The security guards are relentless and I can not enter the campus. It'll be interesting to watch them grow. Oh, I can't share a screen shot. Haven't been here long enough.

Rose Hulam university .. northeast Terre Haute Indiana.

39.4833° N, 87.3241°W

• That probably won't happen because red links don't create fields at this point, even if they form triangles, hence no MU captured and nothing for the scoreboard.

For now it's just a curiosity, and something that many of us in our local area have approached from an inquisitive perspective, but the novelty is going to wear off quickly at the current rate. Many players in our area have been leaving a few of them when we attack clusters, so that we can watch how they recover. At first the silence from NIA added a bit of mystery to their occurrence, but in the old days they would have been better about following this up with things like media drops or musings in the Ingress Report to help build the hype.

Come to think of it, have there been any new red portals added since the initial seeding last Sunday? I've not noticed any more appear even at the end of the cycle, they are only spreading from that initial wave.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw new ones today, so maybe it's every Sunday for new portals?

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

The red faction idea is great. But the invasion itself is very weak. In my region of approximately 1.039 million people, there are only 2-3 portals captured by the red faction. In the city where agents play, not a single portal from the red faction has appeared. So it would be good if the invasion increased, let's say 10-50 times. So far, the portals of the red faction do not pose any threat to our territory and their number is so small that you have to look for them for several minutes, looking at the map of the whole region.

In addition, it often happens that the portals of the red faction are simply discharged without spreading.

Another feature that I do not understand. Why is the invasion not spreading between settlements?

From one portal cluster to another cluster? We have a lot of "islands" in the region with about 10-15 portals. Why not make it so that the infection of the portals is transferred to the neighboring settlements, and even further from neighboring settlements?

Imagine the situation as in the picture. agents need to fight back not only from the enemy, but also from infections that can come from other cities. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain activity and recruit agents in neighboring cities where no one plays at all. An increase in the player base and, accordingly, the company's income!

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Ok so we have random red portals now appearing and ingame stats for this, does this mean if there will be a badge its gonna be retroactive or everyone will start fresh the day a badge event maybe next year starts ? some agents hunting the red already but not sure if its worth bother for the stats...

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how it plays out. I don't know why the instant thought of badges when other stats have been added without one.