Reminder, Digital Trading Cards = Good, NFTs = Bad

BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Niantic need to retain control of the assets at a base level to avoid abuse and copyright issues.

But by doing this, they completely skip the point of NFTs. Everything they are doing can be done without the blockchain.

Just don't, scrap the NFT component and forge ahead.

Tagged:

Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree :P

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic have been using NFTs for several years, long before it was given name.

NFTs processing uses energy, not holding them.

I can also mention several card games that already use NFTs as their base for transactions, but nobody bat's an eye on those.

The issue is that most people are misinformed, just taking a bit of information and making a big-to-do.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I should follow up my last post.

I'm not a fan of digital trading cards!

Not Magic the Gathering, not Yu-Gi-Oh, not Pokemon TCG.

However, I would like to be proven wrong and that digital trading cards COULD be the next hot thing.

• NFTs processing uses energy, not holding them.

Trading using blockchain computations uses significant energy, but only if they're using a proof of work system not a proof of stake system. Do you know what system they're using?

There's no real issue with Niantic's biocard trading system as long as they do not allow users to trade cards for cash within their system. Players are definitely going to sell cards using 3rd party chats, but that's not something Niantic can stop, and has negligible environmental cost.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They are using the polygon blockchain

Which is tied to Ethereum, which is proof of stake.

The whole thing is managed by a 3rd party which is invested in web3

https://www.spotx.games/

• Well, Proof of Stake is low energy, and this is a small enough environment that the power costs are largely irrelevant then.

This is simply a digital biocard trading site, as long as they don't start trying to make a profit off 3rd party sales.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

But why does it need blockchain at all? Everything can be done internally.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I'm guessing it also means the d eath of physical cards from Niantic. What a shame.

• Blockchain, as a verification technology, using proof of stake or another to be developed low-energy cryptographic check, is a super useful technology. As a certificate of ownership for real products (digital or otherwise) it is a great way to ensure secure transactions.

Bitcoin, NFTs and all the horrible things people have done with it to "prove" the technology are not part of Blockchain.

Don't blame the wagon for the driver.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

It's not a 3rd party. Niantic bought crypto startup Spotx for like $10M, so unfortunately and obviously they are going to shove crypto, including nft trash into every hole they can.

If before people were joining Ingress to play, now we'll get cryptobros and scammers and grifters into this community.

👎

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question, excellent question really.

First, we stop thinking about today or tomorrow.

For this system, we cannot afford for it to be a centralised system like Magic the Gathering Online. Because, let's face it, businesses come and go.

This is one reason why I dislike digital trading cards based on such centralised systems.

As a player wishes to build uo their collection, and to be something that they can show off later, or review themselves at a later date, it cannot be reliant that Niantic, or even Ingress will still be around.

By being an asset on a blockchain, it retains its "value", personal satisfaction or other value.

The bad side is, the only thing you own, is the hash associated to the asset

Inital interest has apparently been extremely high.

Whether this the future, or a fad, no one knows.

But kudos to xSpot for trying

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Players' entire agent profiles will disappear forever when the game shuts down.

• NFTs don't hold anything other than a URI that points to a server, that will also go down when it's no longer profitable to keep it going.

They may as well have kept it to a traditional database. If people want "permanence" they can download the image and keep backups themselves.