The 'I cancelled my C.O.R.E.' thread

M1chaeIM1chaeI ✭✭✭✭

Based on this comment by NianticVK: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/comment/180750/#Comment_180750, we are unable to discuss ban reports on this forum, even if many members of the community say that the ban was very likely incorrect and the game would be better with this player in it. Therefore, I'd like to make a discussion that follows the forum rules.

I unsubscribed from C.O.R.E. because I feel like my achievements might be taken from me arbitrarily at any moment without a transparent appeal process. I used to motivate my C.O.R.E. subscription by my desire to keep this game alive. Anyways, I will still be getting C.O.R.E. if the 500 inventory space helps me pay-to-win an event (e.g. in-person First Saturday and Anomalies), but I won't be getting it anymore for the purpose to help fund the game.

This thread seeks to discuss your reasons to cancel C.O.R.E. or maybe spend less money or time on this game than some time ago and should follow the forum rules. Please do not discuss bans directly. This thread is purely aimed at finding out why people cancelled their C.O.R.E. subscription recently or have spent less money, so Niantic can improve their game and processes by gathering valuable feedback.

Tagged:

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic never discuss ban reports publicly.

But if you want to cancel your subscription, that is up to you.

I've been around nearly 10 years, and never known one person who was banned to be unbanned.

Just play respectfully, scan wayspots to verify that you are at those locations. Don't play through a VPN, though many do. And respect other players regardless of faction

• I hope they're not pulling the plug after all the free labor. *grabs pitchfork*

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be too late for pitchforks at that point.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic have already been profiting from players free labour, through wayspot nominations and reviewing.

Bit hypocritical don't you think, that it isn't too much to ask to periodically scan wayspots. Like even just one a day, or one a week? Literally takes 15 seconds. Compared to over 2 minutes for wayspot nominating

• NoctarionNoctarion ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

People should also stop buying those packs with stickers and medals with ugly and unknown people's face on it and stop buying those medals in the store for like 20 dollars. that's a lot, and many people buy them. But also there are many that don't care/know about this forum and what people are demanding from this money-sucking company or they are just ok with how bad things are right now.

I cancelled my core months ago when I saw that cheaters get away with their spoofing accounts and multiaccounts and Niantic doesn't give a 💩

It's ironic how spoofers get strikes and their accounts back after a month yet this person that was suddenly banned doesn't get a chance to "redeem" whatever niantic thinks he's guilty of.

• To point out here, too, Ingress players have been profiting from PoGo's revenue for the last seven years to keep Ingress afloat. The value of Ingress player portal submissions since Wayfarer went live in no way equates to the multi million dollar yearly investment Niantic retains in keeping Ingress afloat.

The only way we're going to get more development resources and more stable servers, is if we're not a net loos product. It's a two way street, because Niantic treats us as the red-headed stepchild at the same time, and their communication and support is sub-par to put it lightly. But the concept that we're all give and no take is absurd.

Scanning wayspots may be a way to help build your "legitimacy" as an account, but it can never be used as an "on-the-spot" challenge and response verification because you can't scan VPS enabled portals everywhere, and not everyone can scan.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have some insight into ingress' books that we don't? Or are you just pulling this out of somewhere.

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭

I suscribed for a month when it was released just for the medal, and never used it again. I didn't even used my own money, it was Opinion Rewards cash...

And now that NFT thing is just another reason they gave me to keep without changing my mind.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

After getting fed up with the last a while ago, I cancelled. I picked it back up so I didn't have to deal with making inventory space this weekend.

I know they've possibly found a fix, but between yesterday and today, I feel like I got hit with lag spikes at least 20 times. So fun watching your apex timer count down while you can't do anything to earn AP.

Cancelled CORE, again.

• ZinkyZonkZinkyZonk ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Core is constant for me because of the enduring hold ingress has on my soul.

It's an amount I can afford.

I might be unhappy with one or two things but on balance my love and appreciation of ingress exceeds those minor issues.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just gonna point out, the left side also helps pokemon go to some extent (so long as the new portals are In empty bzzzzt (not allowed to discuss properly lol) and they do help put niantic and niantic sells the poi map. But yeah, scanning only helps niantic

• edited November 2022

Simple calculations.

• Team Size per @NianticBrian is ~20 people.
    • Average LA developer salary starts at $100k.

That's 2 million a year just on salaries, not to mention offices, servers, and cloud cycles. CORE isn't providing that, and since we've been a losing venture for 7 years, and there's already been made mention by staff at different times (Andrew, Brian, others) that Ingress needs to cover it's own costs, coupled with the fact that Wayfarer is primarily a PoGo run system now because of sheer numbers...

Ingress isn't doing anything financially viable. We're primarily a test bed for new features, such as Missions going to PoGo.

I'd love to see Ingress financially support itself, but any claims that the player base has "done enough" and can rest on our laurels for paying for the game we want to see continue are not in any way justified.

Hanke is sinking x million $USD a year to keep the sentimental product afloat.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Move the devs to Kazakhstan

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

do u think the game will run for another 10 years with the revenue it has and all bugs and issues that they cant seem to proper solve? i guess its when Hanke decides enough is enough

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I think we should also consider the amount of CMU people buy, which I think is not a small amount (cause I always see a lot of people getting the medals that are in the store) and also consider those packages that they sell and ship to some places, people also pay a lot for those and many dont buy just 1.

• After 22 months of core I canceled it just this week.

I am just profoundly hurt by the way niantic communicates with their customers. (Or their lack of)

Just use the banhammer(no strike policy) to reduce player numbers is a good way of losing more money. (Being innocent untill proven guilty is still a thing in parts of europe)

Will I be banned because niantic's just hits a button to implement a update that will have technical issues? (And they know upfront there will be false positives and still hit that button)

They lost my faith and support.

I hope they prove me wrong one day.

• Anything under 33,333 and we're not even covering the salaries.

And frankly I doubt there's anywhere near that with all the retirees and cancellations.

• Far more than can be covered in one comment, but is currently spread across hundreds of threads, original posts, and stuff not visible. Advice is not the problem.

What we can't change is whether Niantic listens, but the narrative that "We've already paid through portal submissions" is wrong.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

"We've already paid through portal submissions" is wrong.

Is it? Without them, they would have nothing. Or a very limited data set just about any competitor could replicate.

I know it only goes so far, but it's still a contribution that should not be underestimated.

• At least you didn't hear me say that last bit about portals.

What i am saying: they portray "normal" playing agents as cheaters, thru a technical error and make absolutely no attempt to correct these errors.

I am willing to pay for ingress to continu, i have done so in the past and will again in the future. But as long as they do not learn from their past mistakes i am out.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm keeping my subscription going, I've also given them over $1k in CMU and swag packs this year alone. That I generally don't care about items.

I do care about the game, so this physical cash is my bit to keep the game running.

Others have more money.

But if players are dissatisfied with something, they have every right not to sink their money into said product.

I'm personally hoping that Ingress will carry on

• But if players are dissatisfied with something, they have every right not to sink their money into said product.

I don't disagree.

But I'm debunking the constant claim that "We've done enough, we shouldn't have to pay at all", that some people keep repeating, like submitting portals in 2014 is somehow worth millions of dollars a year in 2022.