Suggestion: convert Quantum Capsules to Glyph capsules

netsplitnetsplit ✭✭
edited October 2022 in General

The basic idea is this. I understand Quantum Capsules are causing latency issues. So instead of daily replication what about if once a day you have an option to do a glyph hack style input on the capsule? You get 5 glyphs, and the better you do the better your replication chances, if you don't put a glyph sequence on a particular day you get no replication. That would remove all the inactive accounts form the server load, and reward active players while helping with latency.

Comments

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan, especially if there was a daily reminder.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Just convert quantums to regular common capsules and that would help latency.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand Quantum Capsules are causing latency issues

We don't know to what extent.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Quantum Capsules generate neglible amounts of lag.

While I do agree something needs to be done with their duplication rates particularly with respect to portal keys, aside from changing server side the rate at which they dupe to be reduced.

Glyphing more to guarantee a dupe, has no real effect, as the majority of players are already proficient glyphers

• Quantum Capsules generate neglible amounts of lag.

I'm not sure that you're more of an authority about the cost of Quantum Capsules on the system.

Regardless, I'd be more than happy with Quantums to stop duping keys only, but the alternative "simple minimal dev" solution is:

• Make all Quantum's normal capsules.
    • Credit people with a number of Kinetic Capsules equal to the number of Quantums they had.

No new tech, simply disable Quantum hacking, convert all items in the DB over, and add some. If they wanted to get rid of Quantums, this would 100% be the simplest way.

They keys are the bigger issue with Quantums, but if it's also causing non-negligible levels of cost to run the calculations, the simplest solution is to eliminate the cost.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

The lag although I am NOT an expert, is still trivial next to the gameplay lag we all face, which Ofer2 gave us a run down of yesterday.

Regardless. I agree with your suggestion

Make all Quantum's normal capsules.

Credit people with a number of Kinetic Capsules equal to the number of Quantums they had."

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

He did not specify or give details about the impact QC's have on the latency, all we have is brian's tweet suggesting that it has an impact.

So stating on the forums here that it has minimal impact is just assumptions, so saying it's trivial without any knowledge or insights is just adding to the noise.

I kind of like this idea though, but they should remove key duplication from the capsules either way.

• I've got no issues with key duplication, but I'd be okay with just turning off replication for everything. I miss glyph hacking and high level farms are rare these days. Maybe turning off replication would fix that. In that scenario I'd prefer they stay quantums in name and style, just inert and shiny looking normal capsules. Relics of history

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

I could maybe still see quantums for keys but really nothing else is needed. Turning them off would change the game for many people that use them for gear farms. It actually might force people to start farming again like the old days. The access people have to the unlimited gear quantums provide isn't fair to the legitimate players. There's definitely an imbalance in the game.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭
    1. Add new recipes to replace need to duplication, like being able to select what level of gear you want to create.
    2. Convert Qcaps to regular capsules, OR create a new tier of capsule with like 200 item capacity.

Done. Also convert Aegis to VRS while we're at it.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinetic capsules are never going to have the same functionality as quantum capsules and I can't see an argument for getting rid of quantums. I can see an argument for forcing the user to interact with them in some way in order for them to dupe. Remember that kinetic capsules are fundamentally ableist and people with limited mobility would lose most of their ability to replicate gear if there was a daily walking requirement.

• Ingress is fundamentally "ableist" because movement is the key element of the game and allowing massive abuse of key duplication on this argument is basically admitting that you have no other excuse.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Movement might be a key element but it really comes down to what Niantic wants to do with their game.

• It's constantly polling the kcaps, to see if the limit (usually 8k) is reached.

Versus once a day polling qcaps, to add things.

• edited October 2022

Actually, it seems like that's not even asking the server, it's keeping updated based on the local Google Fit or Apple Fitness app. When that app syncs to the server naturally, the system updates. I've noticed this since going on runs with just a Pixel Watch tracking the steps. It's not until the phone syncs that I get capsules ccompleted.

• ManiacDManiacD ✭✭✭

I like to see key duplication gone at the very least.