Creating a 3'000km link as a European / Als Europäer einen 3‘000km Link schiessen

Tinu60Tinu60 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in SITREPs

English version below.

Alles begann mit unserer Reise in den Norden und Westen Australiens. Als Schweizer Ingress-Spieler überlegte ich natürlich, wie ich von der Reise profitieren kann. Ein paar Uniques, ein paar Banner … was sonst noch? Ein langer Link! Als Europäer hat man ja kaum die Möglichkeit lange Links zu schiessen. 1‘000km sollten es möglichst werden.

Ich plante also ein Feld über 1‘000km entlang unserer Reiseroute von Derby nach Cape Leveque und Jabiru. Danach nahm ich mit der RES Perth Kontakt auf um ihnen damit nicht mögliche Pläne zu durchkreuzen.

Agent @SSSputnik von der RES Perth meinte dass mein Feld nicht stören würde. Er meinte aber auch, dass mir dies nicht viele MUs bringen würde. Ich erklärte ihm also dass ich es nicht wegen des Feldes sondern wegen der langen Links machen würde. Dies konnte er nicht ganz begreifen, sie würden in Australien noch viel längere Links machen. Er könne mir auch dabei helfen. Sie hätten eine RES Agentin (@Nevinator), die zu unserer Reisezeit im Norden Australiens heiraten würde. Sie könnte mir Schlüssel bringen und auch die Portale vorbereiten. 

Eine Braut … ich konnte es kaum glauben, die hat doch bestimmt wichtigeres zu tun als mir Schlüssel zu bringen!

Schnell wurde ein Chat eröffnet und wir lernten uns besser kennen. Wir stimmten uns zeitlich etwas ab und stellten schnell fest, dass das Brautpaar wieder abreisen würde, bevor wir am Treffpunkt sein konnten. @Nevinator hatte aber schnell eine Lösung: ihr Sohn, der in Kununurra im Norden Australiens lebt, würde die Schlüssel für mich aufbewahren.

Und genau so kam ich dann zu meinem längsten Link ever: Koordiniert von @SSSputnik bereiteten @Nevinator und @Alien6661 (der Bräutigam) nach ihrer Hochzeitsfeier das Portal in Wyndham vor und deponierten die Schlüssel bei @Nevinator’s Sohn. 

Am 31.08.22 war es dann soweit. Wir trafen ihren Sohn der uns auch gleich noch Tipps für die abenteuerliche Fahrt über die Ivanhoe Crossing (ca. 200m lange Passage durch den Ord River die man mit dem Auto durchwaten muss) nach Wyndham.

Ivanhoe Crossing

In Wyndham musste ich nur noch das Portal etwas aufbessern und durfte dann auf die Kokosinsel (Keeling) schiessen! 3’390 km stehen seit da in meinen Stats hinter ‘Longest Link ever crated’, was etwa einem Link aus der Schweiz nach Bagdad entspricht. Wahnsinn!!!

In Perth angekommen, lernten wir uns dann persönlich kennen und feierten zusammen meinen langen Link. Ganz ganz herzlichen Dank an @SSSputnik, @Nevinator und @Alien6661 dass ihr mir das ermöglicht habt!

(Agenten von links nach rechts: @Grubatron, @MrsSputnik, @SSSputnik, @Tinu60, @Briste61, @Alien6661, @Nevinator, @LeethalAgent, @SerMochi)

— English version —

It all started with our trip to the north and west of Australia. As a Swiss Ingress player, I was thinking of course how I could benefit from the trip. A few uniques, a few banners ... what else? A long link! As a European you hardly have the possibility to create such long links. It should be 1'000km if possible.

So I planned a 1'000km field along our travel route from Derby to Cape Leveque and Jabiru. After that I contacted the RES Perth in order not to interfere with their possible plans.

Agent @SSSputnik from RES Perth said that my field would not interfere. However, he also felt that it would not give me many MUs. So I explained to him that I was not doing it for the field but for the long links. This he could not quite understand, they would make much longer links in Australia. He said he could help me with that too. They would have a RES agent (@Nevinator) who was getting married in Northern Australia at the time we were traveling. She could bring me keys and also prepare the portals. 

A bride ... I could hardly believe it, surely she has more important things to do than bring me keys!

Quickly a chat was opened and we got to know each other better. We coordinated our schedules a bit and quickly realized that the bride and groom would be leaving before we could get to the meeting place. However, @Nevinator quickly had a solution: her son, who lives in Kununurra in northern Australia, would hold the keys for me.

And that's exactly how I ended up with my longest link ever: coordinated by @SSSputnik, @Nevinator and @Alien6661 (the groom) prepared the portal in Wyndham after their wedding ceremony and deposited the keys by @Nevinator's son.

On the 31.08.22 it was then the time. We met her son who also gave us tips for the adventurous drive over the Ivanhoe Crossing (about 200m long passage through the Ord River which you have to wade through by car) to Wyndham.

Ivanhoe Crossing

In Wyndham, I only had to upgrade the portal a little bit and then I was able to create the link to Cocos Island (Keeling)! 3'390 km are since then in my stats behind 'Longest Link ever crated', which is about the same as a link from Switzerland to Baghdad. Unbelievable!!!

Arrived in Perth, we met in person and celebrated my long link together. Many thanks to @SSSputnik, @Nevinator and @Alien6661 for making this possible!

(Agents from left to right: @Grubatron, @MrsSputnik, @SSSputnik, @Tinu60, @Briste61, @Alien6661, @Nevinator, @LeethalAgent, @SerMochi)

Post edited by Tinu60 on

Comments

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Many thanks for the kind words and Toblerone etc!

It is always a pleasure to assist visiting agents. We've been entertained when traveling as well so it's always lovely to help others.

Also very glad you had a wonderful holiday in Western Australia.

• *gg* sounds fun 👍

Next up: a field with 3 such lanes 😉

• @Guschtel I did that too … 2’605km x 2’401km x 741km (Cocos Island - Kartajirri - Geraldton) or 21 times the size of Switzerland. It was worth 22’948 MUs 😂