[BUG] Action Circle not following agent

This has been happening more and more frequently lately.

You are moving, your Action Circle and avatar are not. I'm physically at the portal at the top of the screen (bakery, mmm). I have no key. I can recharge it, I can glyph/hack it, deploy mods, I could link/field it if I had fully deployed it. But this keeps happening more and more frequently. This time I was driving. Yesterday when it occurred I was walking in the park with a co-worker who was interested in Ingress before he saw that bug and then the lagg issue. But that's another bug and grrr point.

I posted in a few Telegram channels and multiple people (both factions) also mentioned they had seen this issue.

Ingress 2.100.1 (new update isn't yet available in Play Store)

Samsung S9

Android 10

Just realized I can't post a .mp4 video file to the forums. So, I converted it to a .gif file. 3 mb video file to an 8 mb gif file. Technology is just amazing!

Tagged:
12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

yes annoying bug. got to restart ingress to got my loc back

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I mentioned this (and others too) in the 2.99.1 release topic that fixed other sync issues. Also made a video but can't upload it here.

In any case, the game knows you're moving and if you are in fact in range you can interact with stuff; but the avatar stays put. If you move long enough without the avatar moving with you, the map starts to disappear until you are left with a black void :)

• This time I was driving.

This shouldn't happen when you're walking or biking and playing Ingress, but if you're driving or if you're a passenger in a vehicle (car, bus, train) then this can happen when there's an issue with your connection and you're traveling more quickly than normal. It will recover after a timeout and your connection improves (it can still happen with 5 bars' coverage; it's specifically about connection reliability or stability).

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

This happened to me while walking in my neighborhood. I didn't have any connection issues. The game continued to work fine however the view didn't move even after I walked out of the visible range of the game.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Moving at under the normal lock speed, with good 4G connection. Many people are noting its occurring. It's happening in places that I have great signal. Look at my screen shot or gif (just noticed the gif isn't animated on teh forums but it works locally, guess I found yet another bug or restriction in the forums) In the images posted, my signal is showing as perfect.

It's happening in areas I previously have never had any issues at. That's the kicker. Why does this area or another area suddenly have issues? I can understand if maybe there is a cell tower issue in a certain location. But I've seen this issue in at least 5 different areas that aren't close to each other (shouldn't be that many cell towers having issues, in different parts of the area, at different times during the day). This is just the first time I've had a chance to capture video of the issue and able to capture it without work popping into the video.

• arealwerewhalearealwerewhale ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

It happens to me when walking, biking, sitting on the bus in traffic...

It shouldn't happen. It does. That's why it's being reported as a bug.

edited September 2022

@NianticBrian Here's a thread that was posted about this issue back in August that is the same issue.

• getengeten ✭✭✭

Wrong. I'm biking and walking only. It started in the beginning of August and happens several times per hour. I think it was after a release it started. From never happening before to annoyingly often. There is another bug report filed about this from back in August too. People in all sorts of ingress-communities on Telegram have been complaining about it for weeks. https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/19867/avatar-not-moving-with-me

• This happened a lot during the last event, so I thought it was related to the drone. Mostly at home, in WiFi.

Today I got in the car and had the same problem 4 times: first when checking Android notifications, second when ending the gmaps navigation again via pulldown menu with Ingress visible, third after losing gps in a longer tunnel, fourth no noticable reason.

Seems like a memory issue, I thought my phone has ram issues until somebody pointed me to this thread.

Android10, Xiaomi Mi9

• I have video of it. Reported this back in August.

I have also found this happens in the same spot. The place there in the video this has happened at least 4 times there. And I can be walking, or in a car.

Happened twice today so far. Once while driving in full bar area that I've never had any network issues in. Once in a park that I frequently play in that I don't have network issues at.

Happened again this morning in an area where I have great signal. I was able to hack and recharge the portal I was near. I was walking at the time. Also occurred yesterday while in a moving vehicle traveling at 25 mph (which is below the speed lock limit in Ingress).

The place I had problems at on 9/30 haven't occurred since that date at that location. It happens elsewhere, seemingly randomly. I noticed last night when playing, it happened a few times. In both places with low signal and places with high signal. I'm still using a 4G phone, so there shouldn't be any issues with my devices switching between 4g/5g.

Had this problem again yesterday. Got a new Pixel 7 with 5G. Was solid 5G the entire time. Lost my action circle, yet, I was still able to perform actions at portals I couldn't see.

App Version 2.101.3

Pixel 7

Verizon 5G

Happened again this morning while walking in a park before work. I first reported this when I was using my old phone (Samsung S9) and it's still occurring on my Pixel 7. It's a park I have great signal in. I never saw it drop from 5G while I was walking this morning. I didn't put the app into the background, it was on my screen the entire time.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

This is consistently happening in several areas around me. I can’t pinpoint exact locations, but certainly an issue that wasn’t present before.

dismissing it as an issue with coverage or connection seems weird, I can for 100% say this was never an issue before and it’s seemingly happening more and more now.

although the whole game performance is iffy, black screen on startup, increased latency, this is another annoying issue.

Next time I play in that park, I'm gonna stream music while I play.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

That won’t help in my case, because it is cached, internet can go down and it usually finished the song 😅

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian the issue is getting worse. Now the action circle stays put at the last location the game was active when resuming from background.

Because I know where I am I can select the portals in my circle and interact with them. Funny thing is I can switch apps, and then ingress states “location inaccurate, scanner disabled”, which lasts a few seconds. The avatar then moves a few millimeters but remains in the wrong spot until I restart the game.

aside from that, yesterday the bug with the smaller actions circle (visually) was also back.

the scanner seems to be moving backwards. I have a video of the issue described in this topic, but I doubt it will help, and I can’t upload it here.

• getengeten ✭✭✭

Is this just ignored @NianticBrian ?

edited November 2022

Seems like it is. If I'm out moving around playing (on foot or in a moving vehicle under the speed lock) I get it frequently. Just like every other Prime problem, restarting the client will fix it. We will likely have to wait til @ofer2 see's the issue in the field, before it gets some eyes on it.

I played a bunch over the weekend and this was a constant issue. Is this going to be looked at for any sort of a fix, or just a standard Prime Bug fix of restart your client constantly? I've only been reporting the issue for 2 months now. What say you @NianticBrian ?