Map view radius in Scanner Map, looks a bit weird that water is cut off like this.

HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in Report a Bug

It may be that the "map view radius" has been there always but only after water was added the map view radius is more clearly visible and it looks a bit weird.

Or is this a new bug that map view radius is too small?

Phone resolution is 3040x1440. It looks the same with resolutions 2280x1080 and 1520x720 also.

Samsung S10+
Android 12
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the same thing. And the bottom two 'rounded purple corners' get cut off on iPhone 12 pro max.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Release notes for 1.101.3: "We also rounded the edge of the visible map tiles instead of showing the raw edge."

I had no idea what this meant, but I guess we know now.

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

Fields are also affected with this new "view range radius". Do not remember seeing this before and does not look so nice:

Found an old screenshot from 29.3.2022 and it has no visible Map View Radius:

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

That looks terrible, especially because some portals are still displayed outside the 'rounded area'.

When you launch the game, only part of the map is visible because it gets rounded all around.

The old view was way better, like people said on reddit, one of the worst changes in recent history.

• It may be that the "map view radius" has been there

From the release notes for 2.101.3:

We also rounded the edge of the visible map tiles instead of showing the raw edge.

This is intentional. They apparently think this looks right and good.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Well they need to rethink, the old view was way better. Besides, the rounded area isn't the cutoff, as portals are still drawn in the void, and on my iPhone, I can see the map past the void, so it looks like it's a bug.

I don't see any reason why they would do this; it looks like it's unintentional.

I know this is pointless, and it's going to be kept this way until they revise it on their own in maybe 3 years, but come on.

This is a pretty bad example, but as you can see the rest of the map is drawn and visible.

There is no profit, I don’t think it will help with performance either, if anything it will get worse because the client has to figure out what to black out.

Got another update yesterday evening hoping this was fixed, silly me :/

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Old view made it easier to see upcoming portals and/or clicking on portals in the distance (ie when you are trying to track down what portal is anchoring a field).

If anything, it does look like a bug.

I really wish the Niantic/Ingress dev team would focus on some of the bugs in the game instead of releasing pointless new features. New features aren't going to bring in new agents and keep them around if the same old bugs are still here. I'm done even trying to recruit new agents until they can squash some of the existing bugs.

Also, how about spending some time on the capsule duplication issues (the bugs forums is plagued with them). How much support time do you spend working on the duplicate capsule (Keys, Quantum, Kinetic, & standard) ??? Why are some agents stuck waiting for weeks for a resolution to these problems? If your original Kinetic capsule duplicates, you can't use it until it's fixed. If your key capsule duplicates, you are stuck with an inventory issue usually. At least with Quantum or blue capsules, you can just recycle them to resolve the issue.

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for fast fix in version 2.102.2 !

Samsung S10+
    Android 12