This is not what we want!

Comments

• For me, it's not about "gear", it's about specific keys.

I use public transport a lot, and waiting 3 minutes for an extra hack may mean I miss the train and have to wait an hour for the next one.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Every time there is a change that some section of the playerbase doesnt like, there is always claims this will be the end of Ingress.

Ingress is still here.

We need to think bigger than our personal gameplay.

Great agents can and will adapt to any change.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

This is such a well thought out post. You brought up some great points about how waiting periods are crucial to strategy games. It makes me wonder how many of the people complaining do much more beyond just **** AP or MU daily, do they even make any other positive contribution to the game?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

not sure whats taking niantic so long to do normal FS and get people out there then sitting home, whats the hold up i dont understand really?

• If you need more than 2-3 keys for a portal, then you're choosing a playstyle that forces you to sit around and wait. The Niantic team is clearly trying to discourage this constant layering and get people to move more, given the different changes and new features. Their game has it's goals, and this is part of their change to make it.

• If what you say is true then the original reduction in cooldown was designed to encourage layering,

Law of unintended consequences. It wasn't made to encourage layering, but it was one of the primary effects.

• it was not the faster cooldown that got me hooked on layering. it was my team mates and 57cell's youtube channel.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Dirty hack nerf is cool with me lol. Everyones full gear from drones anyways

• Is it? Or are they choosing to make this change to reverse the previously unintended consequence? I agree, they should answer this, but if nothing else, a reverse in the change that caused the impact is likely to reduce that very impact.

Use logic, not your usual emotional claim.

• edited September 2022

Yet again you're using the "If it's not written in black and white on a web page, it's wrong" argument. Which since Niantic doesn't make these statements, just means you can claim to win anything.

If you want to go on "Black and White", then Niantic is reversing a change they said they'd reverse when they made the change in the first place, and everyone can just stop complaining because they were warned.

You can grok "this is better" all you like, but you have no evidence to prove that a shorter cooldown is "better" either. It's just your feelings.

We have seen through the last two years, that a host of changes have increased players obsession with layering, with faster key hacking being a clear component of this, blatantly obvious to anyone who actually looks objectively at the game. I know you want someone to write it down for you, but unless you actually use your eyes and look at gameplay trends across the globe, no-one is going to do the work for you.

Logic is that a change that makes keys easier to obtain is going to result in people choosing to play in ways that maximise the benefit of easy access to keys because players in any game always find efficiency even at the cost of fun. It's human nature. Ingress is the epitome of optimizing fun out of the environment.

Regardless, Niantic has made this decision and based on their recent behavior, is going to weather the storm in the teacup it's created. People will cancel CORE, then restart it a month or two later when they miss the inventory space and have gotten used to playing with the longer cooldowns. People who are this obsessed with the game that they absolutely lose their minds when the cooldown for a friendly portal is 90 seconds longer, are not quitting any time soon...

• Feelings are fine, but every post claiming this will destroy the game is passing off feelings as fact (or making absurd comparisons to climate change).

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

What strange problems you have. In my city, people dream just to play. Imagine that in the city where I live, it is impossible to destroy every key portal due to a super fast recharge that activates at any time of the day or night. It remains only to repaint such portals and hope that the player who installed them will miss the attack notification.

And I'm not talking about the fact that there are people who constantly have several level 7 portals at their side, in which there are a lot of resonators set by agents that no one has ever seen in real life.

I understand that it’s different for you, and for example, in England only gentlemen play ingress, and in France only noble monsieurs. But in many places the game is impossible due to the fact that cheating techniques are used to the fullest.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

The portals ARE my colour. I'm arguing the already crushed oppositions going to suffer more now.