Update on Game Latency, Missing Wayspots, and the Roadmap

Comments

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Experiencing atrocious game lag using Ingress Version 2.92, would rather play Kirby Star Allies using Nintendo Switch. Just wake me up when the issue has been fixed.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Wi-Fi is good and yet, my ability to charge is…not an ability. Y’all make this game so frustrating when you can’t defend portals as advertised. Please roll back whatever you did over a year ago…

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

At least this bug affects both teams. You can smash a portal and the enemy cant defend due to lag; Its a feature

Lag is compounded lately as carriers are turning down 3G in the transition to 5G. I basically cant play during the day, except with Wifi.

Ingress is not good at dealing with poor signal. It purposely (for security) logs you out, but doesnt tell you, so you can see the map, but not do actions. You can recover by going into settings and logout and in again, or restart the scanner. Which is painful when signal is low.

Low signal also leads to speed lock, as you move around but the location is sent to the server sporadically.

When ingress is playable but laggy, I've noticed speedtest says I have download speeds of about 3 mbps, but upload speed of 0.08 mbps. ingress mostly needs download speed for the portals, but actions require a little bit of upload speed.

I play around and against Niantic, so I'm sure they are aware of the lag issues

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting this for context.

Niantic Lightship is slow, this is harming not only Ingress but other products too.

For comparison, Diablo 3 (Immortal) launched last week for mobile, this is running at 60FPS on my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Exynos 2100.

This is a huge game that pulls every possible resource that our little mobile computers can muster. There is more than 10x of this happening without lag in that game. And the device not overheating

Why is it then that with the rendering lag that some people have in Ingress, plus the network lag that is only apparent in Niantic Lightship is still not a critical thing for the Niantic Lightship Dev team to sort out?

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Servers are horrendous today, everything is stacking automatically

Post edited by Nysyr on
  • NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Unholy amounts of lag atm, black screen at startup, map slow to load, and most actions giving communication channel too hot

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. Very bad lag. Black screen and very long recharge delays.

edited September 2022

A nice example of Power Bar synch issue.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted by another agent, this was nearly a year ago, and the fixes haven’t yet been done?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Even lag with filling the kinetic capsule, defense is really impossible, scanner communication error/drone already at target portal with the drone almost everytime.

It's so sad. I have not played that much but experience latency almost every time I do something in the game, it's crazy.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, we can put Lag into the KCaps? What does it make? How many units of lag do we need?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

The capsule was already filled, but the game didn’t know. It’s the same with the drone, scanner communication error and the next move “drone is already at target portal”.

And then whilst you’re hacking, another “scanner communication error” will pop up.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

last days has been more laggy then ever with weird error popups not sure if lower drone cooldown etc is cause of that.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait, they'll implement another 'tentative fix' that doesn't work in the coming 12 months. (Soon™)

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting bug from the lag.

This was prior to checking Sojourner ticking up.

A clue?

I notice that when viewing an Agents profile, the missions are EXCEEDINGLY slow to load and display.

Is this related to the server lag!? If so, that should be an easy item to diagnose?

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Missions only load if you tap the down arrow to prompt them to download. I don't think that is the underlying issue that is causing the lag. It's something that they changed in like May/June of 2020 I believe. I believe there was a Lightship update around that time. Maybe something to do with how Lightship connects/hooks into Ingress to provide the poi dataset? We do know that the lag is off even worse when you are around a ton of portals (or attacking them). Though it doesn't explain why at 4 AM when I haven't seen anyone else active in hours in a 50 km radius of me, I get the lag when I'm near one portal and nothing else. Or maybe it does. The poi/dataset hangs, because it reaches out for an update, but the update is soo small, it hangs on the refresh (ie config or dataset file is tiny, and it just doesn't load like it should)?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Really appreciate the update on the lag side of things. And everything else.

Most of the lag I encounter, appears to just be a data curruption issue that isn't being handled too well with Protobuf.

The github for it shows that there are still some reliability issues with it.

Which would explain the issues we see, and other Niantic games too

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's something ofer2 can easily explain versus Brian and Thia from the sound of it.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

In Redacted when we had lag this, we could do a force sync and everything was peachy.

We don't have that. Maybe it might help?