Courts of the World Import - and Niantic Games

A few weeks ago, Lightship imported data points from Courts of the World: https://www.courtsoftheworld.com/map/#!/40.750638,-73.985021,12,1 Obviously it's a set-up for Niantic's new game, "NBA All-World" https://nianticlabs.com/news/unveiling-nba-all-world/

I wonder why they didn't sync to Ingress. They need work (pictures, titles, location), and PokemonGO Trainers only see the courts that meet PoGo inclusion rules.

Maybe NBA All-World will follow the same inclusion rules as PokemonGO, so whatever PoGo Trainers don't see (to tidy up) is fine?

Maybe Niantic thinks they imported them to Ingress, but they all fell into the sync bug?

Maybe they did import some basketball courts - but only in places that don't have any portals for 5k around?

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Sync bug sounds likely. Either that or they aren’t meant to be public yet and synced to Pokémon GO in error.

Perhaps we will see them appear in Ingress next month when the game launches.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

In my local area I see lots of POI for the NBA game that aren't POI's for Ingress.

One is listed as a Gold Gym (it hasn't been that for a while now 6+ months). It's listed correctly in Google Maps, but of course Niantic uses OpenStreetMap which is incorrect.

I see a school is a poi for the NBA game (there are no outdoor courts at this school, only indoor in the Elementary School gym)

I see a high school gym poi for NBA as well

And another Elementary school as well. No Ingress POI's near it.

Under more inspection, I see several indoor courts at various churches.

I wonder if all of those locations are in on this, or if its just Niantic being Niantic?

Who see's yet another lawsuit against Niantic for poor placement of POI's in their game?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you pointing out courts that existed before this game because you have your answer there - report the invalid ones.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps ingress is smart enough to reallise it doesn't need the nba 'junk' guess we all must wait until lightship gets its own app :)

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't you need access to the game to report the POI as missing? It's not out for the US currently. Just hoping they don't take this crappy POI's from this game and somehow import them into the POI's for Ingress.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have the Wayfarer iOS app you can report them from there.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

If Harry Potter and Catan couldn't make it then this NBA game will for sure not make it. I am curious to see the results of the focus group they did testing with for this game to continue to go into production.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

HPWU and Catan went because the IPs dropped out. I mean that's regardless of how they did especially when WB has been playing merger roulette since before the pandemic.