Portal Additional Pictures Not Appearing

Hi, Apologies if this has been reported previously, but, I have had a number of additional pictures for various portals accepted over the last 6 months and whilst I have received an email confirmed the picture was approved and should appear in scanner none of these pictures have showed up.

Not a big issue really but just trying to improve the aesthetics of the game where possible with nice and interesting images.

Tagged:
24 votes

Working On A Fix · Last Updated

Comments

• edited May 2021

The Wayfarer team is working on it. It has been raised quite a few times over the last 6 months, and they're aware of it.

• Wow, this issue has been known for 18 months now and nothing happened?

Do you realize how discouraging it is for new agents to discover that the efforts they made to improve something are all in vain?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

indeed this has been broken for so long now, is there really no eta on this ?

• UvisstUvisst ✭✭

Bump! Still an issue.

• Same. I'm a wayfarer... so basically just keep checking???

• Still not working... why do you even enable the "add picture" feature when the added and approved pictures never show up?

This is so frustrating!

• @NianticBrian any comment on this?

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos accepted on July 12 for one portal, and on July 27 for another, have still not appeared in Ingress. After a VERY long hike to the location on July 30, I managed to apply the Pogo workaround of "like the photo", and as of today (Aug 8) the photos are STILL not showing in Ingress.

Both locations have had their photos updated to the new ones in Pogo.

@NianticBrian is this issue still even being looked at? I have always liked that we can keep portal/wayspot imagery up to date, or at least have the opportunity to show how things change over time or look different throughout the seasons, but this is quite ridiculous.

• Here it is late August 2022 and this is still a major issue. Agents are very frustrated that all there careful work providing new updated quality images for existing portals are getting approved but still do not show up in Ingress to be upvoted. Please fix. I personally have a number of approved images dating back over a year that are awol. More recent pics fair no better.

• I have 25+ photos approved since March 30th, that not in Ingress yet.

However, 2 came through. One was in a very popular tourist place - I suspect a PoGo player gave my picture a thumbs up, which caused them to migrate to Ingress. Another was a name edit - when the edit came to Ingress, so did the pictures.

I would very much like to see my artistic contributions to the database, without having to do some contorted (often impossible) thing.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that moving the database to Lightship was meant to make things better. It only seems to have done that for Pokémon GO, whilst messing with things in Ingress such as pictures.

According to this, you’ve been working on a fix since May 2021, over a year. But yet, no updates about the progress.

• What's that you say? can't hear you over the sound of the money printer working overtime.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Surely it needs to cool off a bit? There’s no event right now is there?

• Sort of, except that the lightship transition was meant to benefit their rebranding as a "gatekeeper for a POI database that can be utilized for AR experiences" or something along those lines. The idea is that they seem to want their real product to be a POI/scan database that they can license to other developers, and in this light their games are seen as a way to crowdsource this data by relying on their existing player base to contribute. The problem is that the players don't seem to care, beyond getting a portal/stop/gym or maybe a poffin (one of pogo's in-game field research prizes for scanning) and most of them turn off AR because it interferes with gameplay as currently implemented.

I suspect this transition is not going as well as they hoped, or is at least not leading to growth of the company like they expected.

The problem is that players care about the games, not the AR experience, and they only bother to update the lightship database as it pertains to advancing their gameplay. Nobody is going to contribute to lightship/wayfarer just out of their own good will. Groundspeak (the company behind geocaching) tried something similar but minus the AR component with their "waymarking" website a few years back - basically it was gamification of a POI database... and it was mostly a flop. (That website with it's early 2000's aesthetic is still out there, if you are interested in seeing it)

To bring it back around to the longstanding photo/poi sync issues, I suspect they couldn't care less what happens in the games because the data is already in the database that really matters to them, the lightship one.

• Woohoo - pictures are finally available!

Let's hope future transfers will happen more often than once in 18 months ;)