Time To Retire Quantum Capsules

BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

With the release of Rare Kinetic Capsules we should begin discussion on the retirement of Quantum Capsules.

I believe the regular item duping (resonators, weapons, mods) was never a major issue, even when VR items duped, but keys have created a major issue over the years, so we should start addressing the issue now, giving us time to see how the game board reacts before considering any actions with excess keys that exist. Niantic can supposedly determine which keys were hacked, and which were dupe'd, so this can definitely play a part in reducing numbers of keys in circulation, although I would think letting people keep 5-10 keys no matter what would be a good compromise.

Also, instead of Qcaps just reverting to a rare capsule, they could remain as a VR item with a higher capacity (200 items?), or even a new mechanic.

Tagged:

Comments

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you retire them?

I dont have any normal caps. Guess just turn off dupe rate.

Would not want to lose contents!

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah they'll be retired. No actions for previous duped items or keys, not required and too much work.

I liked that one idea of a 'gear locker', holds 100 items, destroy to get items out. Max 5. That could be the new 'quantum locker'.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Turn off duplication, revert to either rare capsules, or new higher capacity type.

And definitely don't remove the items!

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

It should and will happen. That's the point of these new kinetic capsules. Quantums will stop duplicating. This is a good thing even though many will disagree.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Even 'tentatively' confirmed on twitter...

I've shared the screenshot in one of the other threads. Looks like we'll get some processing power back, calculations of 'interest' from the capsules is generating some load on the backend.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

but getting more keys should be from hacks, not sitting on couch and having them duped overnight without doing anything...

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

So, BrianRose mentions some issues, all of which are also confirmed by other agents. And he mentions that it puts quite some load on the backend, so we'll get more 'performance' back.

Yeah keys won't dupe anymore, big whoop, now you need to organise trips to actually farm them.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

well, that is another problem entirely. And also already happening.

the keys don’t duplicate in great numbers one 1 capsule, but once you distribute 50 keys amongst other players, it will go pretty fast.

• Limit up to 3 Qcaps per account with some km metric tracker added to activate a duping power, that works only once a day... As well as cannot be dropped.

Of course all existing Qcaps would needs to be merged with normal caps b4 rebalanced version would come into play.

Thoughts, @NianticBrian ?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

yea u can go to a really hard to reach remote portal somewhere get enough keys and put all in many quantums and u will have keys for a year no problems....

want more keys? visit the portal

If there is enough accounts left to generate a significant server load then games alive n healthy.

Oooooh you mean all the cheater accounts...

The issue with stopping key duplication is that big baffers will be more inclined to leave fields up forever to save keys.

One of our anchors costs around $500 to get to. Leave BAF up, or drop it and spend another $500 to go get more keys...

Currently we can afford to flip the BAF off because... we have a lot of keys.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping these kinetic capsules will replace quantums. Players with backpacks full of quantums allow players with almost unlimited gear to squeeze out the competition by denying farms of any kind. Legitimate players can't get gear while backpackers have plenty. Even allow these new capsules the ability to replicate a key. But just turn off quantums. They are abused.

• Tying duplication to accounts with map visible activity would help in two ways: It would make backpack account have to come out of hiding and show on the map, plus it would reduce the server load by not having to run the dupe rate calculations for any account that didn't do something visible. ****, deploy, or link daily or no duplication.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe that's the play.

Piss off even more agents, so it will decrease the compute demand, and niantic can move ingress to even cheaper servers. The promised "new prime backends" are 100% out of the question at this point.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

QCs benefit agents who live in rural areas with access to a few portals because they can have enough resources to take down a field and strategic portals. Not all agents use the QCs to duplicate keys because it takes a long time, and some view the method as an "easy or lazy mode" to obtain keys for fielding. I request to stop the key duplication program of QCs, so it does not present an issue with the existence of QCs.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Just remove the QC key duplication program to address the issue of backpack accounts being used to produce and gather keys. If one wants to field and do rethrows, PHYSICALLY HACK THE KEYS and store them in the key lockers, don't duplicate the keys using QCs. Keeping those BAFs, and permanent fields up is disadvantageous for new players who are trying to learn how to field. New players do not have to wait for a special event just to field under the constraints of another huge field.

Post edited by Otrera35 on
  • Adding new caps and possibly changing the old to eliminate key duplication i can live with. I just hope there is still a way to duplicate L8 resonators, bursters and ultras.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

What lag? Make muffy dupes managed by the client.