The recruiter badge needs to return!

I wonder if there are any new developments in bringing back this feature. The last AMA said:

"A: The recruiter badge needs to be overhauled. I don’t think it’s been killed off entirely. But the old mechanic isn’t going to be used anymore and that’s why it no longer works. "

It's more fun to play with people you've actually met before. It's a great way to meet new people and work on the badge at the same time!

Tagged:

Comments

• SouLPrison3rSouLPrison3r ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

It needs to return, but with some changes.

• MrajaniMrajani ✭✭✭

Tie it with your phone number (In the early days of ingress you got a badge for putting your phone number in). One phone number / one account.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

no. i will not give my phone number out. period.

i have been an ingress player since early closed beta - i do not have the 'verified' badge because i refuse to give my phone number out.

requiring submission of a phone number is how you lose agents.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

i d'ont care about the recruiter badge, but xxxxx captured first portal and xxxxxx created first link should be reintroduced in prime.

It's the only way to see when new players start and offer help as ingress is a bit more complicated than other niantic's games.

• csdpecsdpe ✭✭

@Khatre I think those messages are already in prime, but they appear in the "activities" tab, so they are easily missed.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be retired completely. I'd rather there was a friends systems built into the game.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe "encouraging fake accounts" is a valid reason to disable a medal.

How about encouraging the punishment of those who abuse the system? Harder? Yes. Better? Yes.

Would you disable every badge if each one of them had a reason to encourage fake accounts? I don't think that's a good logic.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's not where it should be as it's spammed and we can't bl it that much 😅

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

The recruiter badge when introduced was in no way logical. Introduced three years after the fact, a year after Eve badge, and well - why would I need an email for credit on the badge when someone can download it? There was absolutely no logic to the badge except for a possible measurement for the stakeholders. If I remember correctly, it might have been one of the last badges added before Niantic splitting.

@GridEXE there is always logic in badges. You may not like that logic, I understand. We agree the mail system was real bad.

Wouldn't you give it a chance if system was rebuilt in a way that "cheating" for it was harder? Like, for example, phone verification: agents recruited from (let's say) contact list would need to verify the account with their phone number in order to make the recruitment effective.

We all know Niantic likes to do things in a way that frequently isn't the best, but we have to be above that. Or quit.

I completely disagree this.

Giving away your phone number won't make things worse. What is the logic process where I decide the game is not worth because I need to verify myself by phone? Aren't you already using it to verify yourself for something else?

Besides, having legal agent playing, from my point of view, is better that losing potential agents. Target s to get rid of cheaters without losing the "nice things".

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Phone verification is easily manipulated and why should a phone number be a way to verify my identity when there's more secure avenues?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely do not bring back recruiter.

A badge hoarder who already has all their friends playing, would potentially create multi accounts.

This isn't pokemon go, and have 20 mobiles and going around on a bicycle, like one infamous person has done, is not acceptable

• Bring it back but with a lot more emphasis on long term play. lvl 3 was just too low of a level for credit. It should be Lvl 6.

Don't bring it back at all.

• I have tried to sign up my wife and two sons who wanted to play but the email links never arrived. Either fix the system so I can finally get the badge or take it off my list of badges. I hate the fact that it shows locked and I have no way to acquire.

I would love to hear about those. Could you please share some info about it?

I don't see why is it a bad thing to bring the badge back IF the way recruitments are disposed gets right.

Let's come out with some good stuff!

• yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

@NineBerry Excellent suggestion.

Whatever they decide to do, I would love it if the locked badge would disappear from the medal wall, especially since it has been literally impossible to unlock it for some time now. We completionists hate having constant reminders of our shortcomings. :-)

-Signed, Forever Stuck at Recruiter Stat (1)

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Friend system would be better.

I agree a friend system would be better and suspect this will be introduced when Redacted is retired. They already have the code in Unity.

• Henno86Henno86 ✭✭✭

Delete the medal at all

• Henno86Henno86 ✭✭✭

• TinderbiscuitTinderbiscuit ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I'd very much like to see this return. The old recruiter badge wasn't retired so much as broken and forgotten.

I've actually held off recruiting others because I was hoping that the badge would come back. Leaving the locked badge on the profile is a promise that it will return. I'm unlikely to recruit anyone so long as the possibility of the badge returning is still on the cards. I don't want to waste any potential recruits.

If Niantic had said definitively that it wasn't returning then I would have brought new players into the game. Their silence has led me to hold off.

• TinderbiscuitTinderbiscuit ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

<Accidental Post>

Apparently there is no way to delete a comment once posted, even if you accidentally click the "Post Comment" on an empty comment by accident. (Sorry for the double post).