NFT's and Ingress

BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Apparently Niantic now has a head of Web3:

I just want to let Niantic know in advance that the gaming community hate NFT's/crypto in games and introducing them to Ingress or any other game will destroy any sort of goodwill the community had left.

Comments

• The example Henke gave at the Lightship 2022 conference was: You'd be invited to do some things in game (I heard it as a mission), and then you'd be rewarded with an NFT one-time-use coupon. The example they gave was (something like) a couple of those single-serve iced teas from a supermarket. Niantic would set up deals with vendors (who would probably pay Niantic for the advertising).

I'd probably end up collecting the NFTs because they'd probably be things I don't need, lol, like a free shot of cream at Starbucks. Then, if I came across someone who would use it, I'd drop it to them. I'm fine with all that - as long as they don't take space in my inventory limit.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Allow me to introduce you to these thing called bio-cards and badges...?

A finite number of physical items, which are paired to a digital code, which people have bought in bulk and then resold on Ebay or other methods for a profit. Supply is limited and has built-in destruction of supply by redeeming the code, thereby increasing the value of the investment. Small releases of new biocards are generated and then sold in kits as a way to maintain checks and balance against inflation of the cards prices on ebay. Demand is dictated by however many agents join the game and get hooked/converted to purchases of said cards.

Remind me how this isn't similar to NFTs at all?

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Bio-cards are tangible items. In-game badges don't require the blockchain.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

No, they only require a set of computing resources (effort) to continue existing.

Oh wait, that's exactly like blockchain, except it's not distributed across a P2P network.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

I'll take a wild guess and assume the compute power is nowhere near what's required for blockchain.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Ingress had NFTs long before the term became popular.

I see no issues with them

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Not good for the environment.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Once laws regulating NFTs get approved, NFTs are going to be magnets for authorities like the FBI and IRS. I guess Niantic likes that scenario.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Kinda reminds me of garfield go,,

A weird wonderful geo-location game that gave real world prizes....

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Woo huu. Well said. But nobody here can stop a company chasing the hype. The more unsatisfied you and me are about introducing NFTs to Niantic games, the more likely Niantic would do it.

• If Niantic is looking for financial investment then for the time being, the traditional financial tools should be used. The entire DeFi/NFT world, for financial investment, is too hit or miss ... With many many misses.

In terms of expanding Niantic games/platforms, then demonstrating some serious commitment to fixing some of the truly terrible UX with the existing games ( Ingress's key management is my just appallingly poor and the new "Please buy me" items in the carousel just stinks of desperation ).

Chasing the next big thing which the world has already demonstrated isn't and won't be for many decades isn't the way to go.

Unless .. the future business model is one of continual micropayments and that clearly isn't a good fit for Ingress (at least).

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

more kinetics maybe to buy ? but since many have problems with the single one we have perhaps its not possible getting more if they keep getting stuck and not counting distance for some reason.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see how (possibly) putting NFTs into Ingress accomplishes either of those.

As for new players, there’s got to be tons of level 1 Ingress accounts who are Pokémon GO players who started just to see the map, so it’s worth getting something together to see if you can push them to play and not just use the map for more PokéStops.

Financially, I like CORE but some single/triple use KCaps would be great. It’s always nice when they come in Pokémon GO for completing research.

I also think the research style thing would be great and it fits Ingress’ style a lot more.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s Niantic as a whole, including the money printing game, which I assume they have to pay a bunch for the IP too.

Ingress has probably been bleeding money for a while.