[LAG] Credits where credits are due

iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Over the last year (and a bit more), we have gotten ‘used’ to a scanner that makes you wait at portals for a minute or more to execute an action (deploy/hack/mod/etc). I nearly forgot how it used to be, just playing the game instead of the waiting game. I have to be honest I went to Munich expecting the game to be annoying for a bit.

Instead what we got (for the most part) is a pretty good game performance. Yes of course with all those agents simultaneously acting on portals the scanner was not always keeping up. And yes you had to wait for the servers to catch up at moments, but the lag that makes you wait for ~30-90 seconds to perform any action was pretty much absent.

Overall, this is the kind of gaming experience we would like to get during regular play as well. So yes please Niantic make this happen.

@NianticBrian @NianticThia

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Can mirror that. I didn't (consciously) experience Latency itself. Sure, a few restarts here and there as the scanner grinded to a halt, but with that being part of our teams strategy, it didn't actually impede during the actual battles.

Only thing I was a bit miffed about were portals that got stuck which you couldn't attack or deploy on. These could be fixed with deploying a firework on them, buuuut you had to buy those first 🙈

smh my head actual pay to win /s

• iFrankmansiFrankmans ✭✭✭✭

Yes the locked portal state happened often as well, but def not as annoying as not being able to do anything.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

I wonder if Niantic scaled up their capacity for the anomaly? I would guess they did. It may be that typical lag is because something in their architecture isn't properly scaled for current daily traffic. I've seen similar weird slowdowns from being underscaled on database read or write capacity, although it was in a very different type of system than Ingress.

Yes it could be, that's exactly why I believe it is also important to let Niantic know that lag was pretty much absent in Munich.

It might help in getting to the root of the problem.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember the last time I experienced real lag now that you've mentioned it.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

More than likely. They used to scale it up for anomalies back in the day.

• vidiconvidicon ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree that this anomaly was remarkably free of lag, compared to past anomalies I’ve attended, and compared to regular gameplay of a few weeks/months ago. So whatever you did definitely worked.

The one thing I would note though was that there were a ton of portals that were stuck at some point during the anomaly. Fireworks generally fixed it, and if that wasn’t an option (active batttle beacons) then the battle timer counting to 0 fixed it, but it was pretty frustrating to experience that particular bug in an anomaly setting.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Yes, lag issues still exist (badly) but I'm glad the anomaly ran pretty smoothly.

Still traumatized from Osaka anomaly lag...

Post edited by SSSputnik on
  • ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome to hear. Didn't play a ton over the weekend.

Hitting some decent lag trying to recharge this morning on someone attacking a portal. Guess we're back on the cheaper servers?

• It's great that lag was mitigated for the anomaly, and as you say, other events. I'm looking forward to the kcap issues and myriad other bugs being resolved so every day game play might work as coded as well.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian I have noticed there is impossible lag, as soon as the weekly fitness tracker completes.

The only workaround is to completely restart the game.

I nearly lost my Sojourner the other day because of this bug.

Yes I have experienced some in the last two days as well, but to be fair not as extreme as we had previously so I guess it is a step in the right direction.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I was playing yesterday morning, and I noticed there still was latency, even replied to someone on a TG channel asking if the update had any impact on the ongoing lag.

In the afternoon I played some more, and the game was noticeably faster than in the AM. Deploying resonators was blazing fast, I could capture all portals I attempted to capture, only had the deploy latency once, and it was only for a few seconds.

So I guess whatever changed (reset of some server instance, I have no idea) please check and do it more often. With the increased refresh rate and the game not lagging out, I finally had some genuine fun playing.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Hrm, it was terrible this morning (UTC+8) drove two blocks before a hack triggered

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been intermittently terrible for me the last couple of days, like 30ish seconds for a deploy (presumably a timeout) and lots of long lags when glyphing.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got around to getting my builder badge. Only got latency twice in 1,5 hours of capturing/deploying.

I might not play enough at the moment… But what I did play was smooth with the increased frame rate and almost no latency.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

It was horrible lag yester I, but have the new update now.

But not had time to test if the lag this past week has been fixed