[enhancement] medal requirements not shown when viewing other agents stats

GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in General

this is a quality of life enhancement.

when viewing stats of OTHER player L8-L16, it would be nice to be able to see THEIR next level medal requirements in addition to their AP requirements, the same as when looking at your own stats.

that way we wouldn't have to memorize some arcane table and squint to figure out which are silver and which are platinum and which count and which don't.

Post edited by NianticVK on
Tagged:

Comments

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

srsly? what's wrong with knowing someone's outstanding medal requirements? all the information is there.

one of the most common questions people ask is "what medal should i work on next", knowing their current progress / needs helps answer that question.

srsly, what's stalkery here?

(also, what do you mean "take care of your profile"? do you mean "mind your own business"? have you never mentored someone, or had someone ask for advice, and wanted to look at their stats? isn't that what being able to look at someone else's stats is FOR? otherwise why have the feature at all?)

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know bug reports could be implemented under the general topic list

i tried a bug report. @NianticVK moved it here.

i suspect the root of the problem is that there is no actual sanctioned sub for enhancements.

@NianticThia this is the one i mentioned

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Why would someone be so overly interested to know another agent's medal requirements??? It would give the creeps out there to track those unsuspecting agents and intimidate them. Asking for the enhancement of medal requirements feature will compromise the safety of those agents because that creepy agent can likely predict the movements of unsuspecting agents. If something were to happen, Niantic will also be legally required to cooperate in any investigation.

@GorillaSapiens, if you don't know what stalking is, Here's a video showing you what's it like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4BLVznuWnU

If an agent chooses to keep his/her profile private, that's their business and their right to do so.

• I think it's a bug. Even if both profiles shown had stats set to private, I don't think that privacy would be breached on either of you, by saying how many medals are needed to level. (Worst I could think is: a stalker might try to prevent you from getting the badge you need. But if they're maniacal enough to do that, they're maniacal enough to count badges themselves. And, there are plenty of badges.)

I think the medal requirements should go up with each recursion. Put all those event and anniversary medals to work! At least add 1 badge to each level, for each recursion. Maybe 2?

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure how I feel about that, but I suppose I’m not completely against it. It would make those AP runs a little more interesting and on the other hand, some medals would just become insanely difficult for some agents.

edited January 2022

all that information is already there. even if your stats are private, anyone can see what level you are, and what colored badges you have.

figuring out what you need for next level is then just tedious counting and squinting to make sure you get the difference between silver and platinum right.

there's nothing stalkery here, stop being paranoid. you already carry around a GPS tracker and announce your position whenever you do an in game action. what we're asking for here is nowhere NEAR that bad.

[also, you have terrible taste in music]

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Niantic can't even remove the clutter in the Ingress profile such as the Niantic Social DM by offering an opt-out selection. What makes you think that medal requirements enhancements can be done by Niantic [REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

Post edited by NianticVK on

Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it should be encouraged.

My stats have always been public but I understand why people hide them. Tell me why it matters to look at another person's stat? So they're active? You're viewing the profile as another user, it should be different than viewing your own profile.

<<Tell me why it matters to look at another person's stat? >>

it's not any individual stat, it's what medals they need to reach the next level. why does that matter?

from my previous comments:

<< one of the most common questions people ask is "what medal should i work on next", knowing their current progress / needs helps answer that question. >>

Wow. i've never even met you. you don't know me.

i'll give you some advice, as one concerned human to another:

there are MANY decaffeinated brands on the market that are JUST AS TASTY as the real thing.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this thread lost its way somewhere along the line.

Look at the highlighted sections (red rectangles) in the screenshots of the original post. "Level 16 Req: [Platinum] 2/4 [Onyx] 5/2" is the kind of information that is straightforward to determine for any agent based on information that's always public. No one can hide how many bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and onyx medals they have.

There are no new concerns about stalking or privacy with the suggestion here. It is no different than seeing how much AP someone needs for their next level, which is already shown conveniently and always public. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you. I honestly don't understand the level of animosity and ad hominem attacks this simple request has generated.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Ditto. You don't know me either and I don't solicit advice from someone who I don't know at all.

• De primeira vista, jogo doido e vc procura manual, tutoriais dos itens e não acha, o jogo tem anos e ainda não tem dioma português, nem o próprio site ou jogo tem manual de itens e pra q serve... Ridiculo

• You can work out manually what another Agent's medals are. Why do you need to be handed it on a silver platter?

you're right. i can also just get a sack of flour, dye it green, and draw my own links between portals...

(1) this should be a trivial change

(2) hand counting medals is a pain in the ****

(3) making it easier to mentor means people would be more willing to draw others into the game

• It's a trivial change with zero need or benefit to the average player.

Except that in software development, there is sunk cost to any change. So don't make changes that are pointless, no matter how trivial, because they will waste develoment time, and the Ingress team is already stretched taut between competing development priorities.

and yet they seem to have time to stick store links in the resonator carousel, which no player asked for...

"niantic is stretched thin" is not a valid argument against ANY feature request. you can use it to **** down ALL feature requests. does that mean players should simply stop asking for features?

ignore your players long enough, and they'll go away...

edited August 2022

Considering Ingress development, yeah the team is stretched thin. 20 people altogether. Maybe 10-20% of that is development which is 2-4 people at most. The same argument about feature requests goes with anything in development.

EDIT: This is about something YOU want. Trivial or not, they are the ones to decide on the development. It's amazing people ignore this fact.

• which no player asked for...

Of course. Their bosses asked them to encourage sales which actually pays for more staff.

"niantic is stretched thin" is not a valid argument against ANY feature request.

Yet again you need to learn to differentiate between "Niantic" the billion dollar PoGo money printing machine, and the "Ingress Development Team" which is a very small team relative to the size of the product they maintain and progress.

And as @MoogModular said, this is just your idea and a trival one that isn't important to really anything. They do have more important things to work on, some of which will hopefully be coming in future builds.