Comments

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

downloaded lastnight since its out on google play public and it asks me for invite to get in.. is this intended if so why public if u need invite ??

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

i mean the 10 year anniversary is coming up. Everyone and their mother has alternative solutions in place for their communities.

maybe it’s nice for Pokémon? And for people that play both games to keep in touch?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminder that Campfire is for all Niantic games and operates within the app and also as a separate one. There's not just social options but also specific game actions. It's like a pocket intel map for any Niantic game.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't play other Niantic games. Yes other's do, but there's not a huge amount of crossover and what there is appears to be shrinking.

Pokemon also has had enough time for established communities on other platforms plus tied in tools to exist.

Maybe for future games.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum retirement?

• Campfire is a chat tool, not a forum. And it looks to be designed for "all the Lightship products", possibly even non-Niantic produced stuff.

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

This would have been nice years ago when new people picked up the game on a regular basis. Would have been so much easier to connect with players. I'm sure it will work well with Pokemon. But with Ingress we see a new player start up maybe once every six months. With such low activity it just won't be used much. But other games it will be more beneficial. We'll see if it stays online any length of time. Niantic seems to drop more projects than they finish lately.

The official HPWU group certainly had some non Niantic stuff on and I’ve seen some local Witcher groups even. (May now have gone with inactive purge)

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Continue to confuse players further by adding more features and apps that don't really offer practical applications with those games will drive away existing players, just saying. From Niantic Social to Campfire is confusing enough for some. What more for potential players. Why can't Niantic follow Apple's approach wherein everything is simple, uniform, and less cumbersome, making it user-friendly for their consumers?

Post edited by Otrera35 on

How is it confusing? The way to open the chat has been the same just the name was different.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

This new thing even haven't PC client?

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

In Ingress, it would only be used to announce and gather for official unofficial events, and to provide an entry point for new players to enter the community.

Perhaps the most useful use would be in Pokémon GO raid battles.

It would be useful to meet up with players from other regions, especially when it comes to region-specific Pokémon like UMA.

Because unlike Ingress, where the instant messenger is somewhat unified globally (a world originally brought about by the linkage of Google+ and Hangouts), Pokémon GO is fragmented with region-specific instant messenger apps.

Although global communication seems to have calmed down to some extent recently with discord and Telegram, it is chaotic inside, with players shouting "please" to each other without even a trainer name, location, or trainer code.

I don't even know where the player is.

It is not until you become friends with someone that you realize that this person is in the U.S. and that person is in Germany.

In a community of thousands of people, almost no one has a trainer name, trainer code, and location (I happened to join the wrong community). (I'd like to think I accidentally joined the wrong community)

This is an almost impossible and unbelievable situation for an Ingress player. But it is reality.

I think this situation can be made a little more sane.

• MargariteDVilleMargariteDVille ✭✭✭✭

I think it's more designed for PokeMonGo and raids.

In Ingress, it could be a good way to bring new agents into the community, or hail visitors in your area. IOW, basically what we do with Comms already, but harder for the other faction to hack.

It says you can be in several communities - I'd assume that would mean that if you live/play across several regions, you can be in all their communities.

Niantic's blog gives a feel for it: https://nianticlabs.com/blog/campfire-release/?hl=en

Oh wait, I found its real purpose. It's so developers (customers) who use the Lightship database can find people who already play Niantic games. This is from the blog, May 24, 2022:

CAMPFIRE

As we build more and more new experiences, it’s even more important for us to help people discover them. We want to help developers not only build amazing experiences, but also find an audience for them and help them build real businesses. Our solution to bringing Niantic’s audience to developers is through a new social experience we call Campfire.

Campfire is a real-world social network which starts with a map and adds people, events, communities, and messaging. We think of it as the “homepage” of the real-world Metaverse - a place where players can discover other players in their local area, message one another and share content, organize their own events and meetups, and foster the kinds of real-world social connections that have always been at the core of what Niantic does.

Campfire is live in Ingress and coming soon to all Niantic experiences, giving our community a new tool to discover the joy of real-world gameplay, meetups, and events, and to provide a way for people to discover new creations designed to make the real-world a more magical and entertaining place.

Now we just need another Niantic game to successfully roll out globally and then we will see it in action.

A bunch of developers are using the Lightship database. Here's what they put up for the Cannes Lions Festival: https://nianticlabs.com/blog/niantic-canneslions-2022/?hl=en (Note: "VPS" is the results of the scans we do.)

• Go on a WebAR scavenger hunt with Captain Doty
    • See Cannes like never before with the Niantic Viewfinder
    • Fly the Niantic ARship around the Cannes Lions Festival
    • Bring an NFT art exhibit into the real world using WebAR
    • Challenge fellow delegates to an AR game of Tic-Tac-Toe
    • Share your experience at Cannes by sending an AR postcard

VPS - Visual Positioning System is pretty much the network of the nominations with the scans. I am hoping when this comes to the games in Q4 that we see where Niantic Community Days can be a way to showcase all of their games.

I made a similar Telegram post about a potential idea:

Imagine any Niantic Community Day meetup place and when you look through any AR feature in a Niantic app, you use these fancy graphics at the location which showcases all their apps. Niantic can do events through VPS on all the games. Scavenger hunts or any AR activities. The AR stuff is just another possible layer to interact while still maintaining the current gameplay as not all devices can run the AR.

Niantic was showing some of it at their summit - the walk to their HQ had all these fancy items.

Yes, any showcase event could get lots of Lightship-powered demos, like The Cannes Lions Festival https://nianticlabs.com/blog/niantic-canneslions-2022/?hl=en had:

• Go on a WebAR scavenger hunt with Captain Doty
    • See Cannes like never before with the Niantic Viewfinder
    • Fly the Niantic ARship around the Cannes Lions Festival
    • Bring an NFT art exhibit into the real world using WebAR
    • Challenge fellow delegates to an AR game of Tic-Tac-Toe
    • Share your experience at Cannes by sending an AR postcard

They’re now taking on feedback here

Hard to give feedback on an app I can't use in Pokémon Go and Ingress implements a different implementation of it.