I hope they don't go back to 5 min hack cd

Hello, I'm a new player, I started playing the game about two months ago so needless to say I only just recently found out the hack timer was a temporary thing. I understand they're rolling back changes they made for covid and I don't really have an opinion on the other ones but the hack CD one does concern me a bit.

It's a gameplay thing mostly. I play the game almost entirely on foot, since I walk a lot for exercise or errands anyway. Each day I walk in a different direction to grab keys and throw links and have slowly covered my town in fields. Stopping for five minutes at a portal feels reasonable, but there's no way I'm going to stop for 15 minutes to collect keys, that's way too much dead time doing nothing. I already feel like the worst part of this game is how awkward you feel standing in front of some random thing or house lol. Frankly living in American car-centric urban design hell makes walking around a lot of places really unpleasant but the game is enough motivation to put up with it, but I can't see myself really wanting to bother if it's going to be that much more tedious putting fields up. I'd sooner go back to just walking my little circuit around the nearby parks rather than deal with the roads (stop playing, basically).

I realize there's balance concerns to these kinds of changes and I can't comment on them except to say that I'd rather they be addressed in other ways that don't add a lot of dead time.

Anyway just my thoughts. Super much enjoying the game as is, it's definitely made running errands and exercising a lot more enjoyable.

Comments

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Bring back the days of no caps and single hack keys I say!!!

The game has changed, we have adapted and will adapt again, don't knock something till you have tried it...

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on your side and most players are, even on here. There's no good argument for reverting back to 5 minute cool down (I'd even argue anything above 2 minutes is too much) while lots of good arguments for staying as is just now. But niantic appear to not care what the player base says and will just revert it randomly in like 6 months

• VaskinCallVaskinCall ✭✭✭✭

Hurry up and bring back the hack once every 5 minutes!

With 1.5 minute hack the game has become too easy, and it makes no sense agents get together to help each other (put portals for farming, collect the necessary keys), and thus get acquainted and become friends. :)

Easy does not mean interesting.

• IcyBlueHeartIcyBlueHeart ✭✭✭✭

Wow, your game situation must be way different than mine, over 1k heat sinks, even Core I could never devote that much of my inventory to a single mod type.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

standard hack could be 2.5min or so, with 90sec it makes things a bit too easy and makes heatsinks lose their value

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@KonnTower Allow me to introduce you to the recycle function. (-:

The only thing I'm willing to carry around a thousand of is X8s.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't want those, I will gladly take them. I still use a ton of heat sinks when I'm out fielding.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the areas that I micro field, I can currently do in about 1.5 hours with using heat sinks. This includes going into it without any keys.

With the older 5 minute cooldown, and having extra keys, and heat sinks, it used to take me 2.5 hours or longer to field the same area, due to waiting for hacks. Even with extra walking and backtracking, it still takes longer than the current cooldown. Thankfully I'm closing in on my Mind Controller wings and plan on taking a break from making loads of tiny triangles after that.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vilenda :

there's no way I'm going to stop for 15 minutes to collect keys, that's way too much dead time doing nothing

In Ye Olde Days, when the 5min cooldown was a thing, I would do one of two things:

1. I'd slowly build a stockpile of keys by taking walks where I did nothing but go by portals and hack them once each for keys.
    2. I'd walk and forth between a small group of portals while waiting for the 5min cooldown on each of them.

The pacing of the game certainly feels different when you play like that, but it is an alternative to doing nothing and standing in one spot for minutes on end.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

I miss being able to walk around a park, doing normal hacks and have a decent amount of gear after 4 laps. Due to the glyph hack initiative I have to do 12 laps of just normal hacks to get the same as a 2 laps of glyphing. I miss when the game was about being out and moving and not just sitting in a cluster till you burn it out.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

This is the way.

Honestly though, there's no need for bursters where I play. I play in short, dense microfielding bursts where i can earn 100-150kAP per hour without Apex. Also, you can microfield using 33-4444-55 and start with 20 P3/4/5 each and never run out of resonators. In fact, you end up throwing a ton of P4s out. very very rarely do you need to bump a portal up to a P5 to restock those (only when RNG bites). glyph-->heatsink-->glyph-->heatsink-->glyph. No more needing to carry abundances of resonators. Plus you get the extra AP/keys for all the hacking.

Oh, speaking of kitting for high-AP-per-hour play.... Took advantage of the BOGO on these:

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree about heat sinks not being valuable. I still use them regularly for quick key farming rather than sitting in my car for ages on a vr multi hack (before say walk about, I'm usually doing this during g the night as I'm on nightshift, walking round in the dark, especially in winter in Scotland, isn't particularly safe lol) or even if a glyph hack didn't give me a key while I'm fielding along a spine, need to get another hack quickly. They are still useful for making the game even faster and more dynamic

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

yes i know what u saying but if they decide to keep this cooldown they need to re-balance how heatsinks works maybe. before i used to get excited if i hack a vr heatsink, now i dont, i rather get many common instead.