Winding Down Niantic Social’s Closed Beta—and What Comes Next [Discussion]

PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings Agents,

As you may have heard, Niantic Social is now Campfire!

Campfire will continue to be available within Ingress, and coming soon, you will be able to download the Campfire standalone app. We want to thank you all for your help in Campfire’s open beta period. There will be a few changes that are coming over the next few days.

• We will be temporarily disabling the ability to create new communities within Campfire.
  • We will be removing inactive Campfire communities by Jun 23, 2022.
  • All active Ingress communities will remain on Campfire and owners/admins will still have complete control over the Community.
  • Your Campfire map will not display Ingress communities or events for the time being.
  • We are temporarily removing regional chat.
  • For Agents that participated in the standalone closed beta—thank you! We will be sunsetting beta access to Campfire, but all of your feedback and contribution has helped us get here today.
  • Everything else on Campfire should remain the same as you know it!

Lastly, we will be introducing a Choose Your Own Adventure experience in the near future, led by K... Stay tuned for further information and instructions on Campfire.

Best, The Campfire Team

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a shame any inactive groups will be removed. I’d made a general one for my locals with channels for Ingress, Pikmin & other games, so it was ready for when everyone got access, which I assume will now go.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Lastly, we will be introducing a Choose Your Own Adventure experience in the near future, led by K... Stay tuned for further information and instructions on Campfire.

And i will be able to call out shapers?)))

• AkakunAkakun ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

We will be removing inactive Campfire communities by Jun 23, 2022.

So, that means more than the half of Campfire? I still didn't managed to see an "active" community besides of Niantic's...

I'm sorry but I can't see any future to this feature, it's way too late to "copy-paste" Discord. Maybe the standalone app manages to work better than the in-game version, but I'm not willing to set my expectatives too high.

• MxxMxx ✭✭✭✭

They will shove it into pogo and force Silph Road to promote it over discord since niantic now pays for Silph's servers.

There’s still official Niantic groups for the two sunset games of Harry Potter: Wizards Unite & Catan: World Explorers.

Will they go when the “inactive” chats are removed?

That’s what I figured. But people do still chat in them from time to time, so that may not count as “inactive” and be more of a Niantic discretion as to whether to remove. There’s nearly 10k people in that HPWU chat, that they may want to redirect to another Niantic game instead of removing all of them off.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

They had more than 6 months to move their chat. They knew they were on borrowed time since the announcement of the game going away in January.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Nvm

• TooLegitToExistTooLegitToExist ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

I have a feeling Nia is gonna close down some of the forums in favour of Campfire as you see some of Nia like Thia was on here less these days

Hope Campfire offers 2 type of convos, the messenger type (for private, groups activities etc) & the forum.type (official, etc that mirrors G+ was)

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe the original application is a copy-and-paste type of discord, but the base of Niantic Campfire seems to be "Mayhem", which was previously acquired.

Niantic acquired them about a year and a half ago.

https://nianticlabs.com/blog/mayhemgg/

And there are new features, but if you want to say copy and paste, discord is 2015 but slack, which is similar in structure, is 2013.

There's no end to it and if you think that point out in depth we will have to go back to the 20th century to look at the origins.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh god no, I hope they don't close forums in favor of Campfire.

Chats are great for socializing but they're a terrible, horrible, very bad no good way to have serious discussions. You're always consuming chats (even threaded ones) through a linear drinking straw of information with very little ability to have topical posts or to find/review/index older content. They also lend themselves to brief comments rather than writing thoughtful paragraphs of reasoned arguments. Campfire is also mobile-only (at least for now) which means a tiny little screen and a virtual keyboard.

I'm going to have nightmares now. Thanks a lot. (-: