When will we be able to properly host in-person IFS?

edited May 2022 in First Saturdays

With the COVID landscape continuing, Virtual IFS needs to remain something that people can do while they're limited in their movements or gatherings.

However, in many parts of the world we are able to congregate in relative safety, by personal choice. For IFS though, we still need to do the map puzzle, post a collage of swag, and all the elements of the Virtual event, when we gather in a group at a location.

So the question becomes: Can we make in-person events an option again, with their re-stock portals and activities etc.

When registering for an event, it would be great to select either In-Person or Virtual, rather than trying to juggle both because people want to meet up. That way, if an event is selected as Virtual, it continues as it has been, with all the IFS@Home requirements. If the event is selected as In-Person, it can function along all the original IFS meetup rules, with a group photo, a restock portal, AP requirements instead of recharging etc.

I'm not proposing removal of the Virtual, but it should be an option to do a fully in-person event in locations where it's suitable. For those who prefer Virtual, there's no requirement for proximity to the event, so even if your local area is in-person, you can attend another in a different city virtually.

At some point we need to ease back into the purpose of the IFS events, as the virtual ones have drifted in some places, to the point where it's more about 'getting a point' than actually socializing with the other team.

Tagged:

Comments

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

First off, I totally agree that IFS should still have some semblance of a virtual option for the time being. That said, IFS has lost most of its appeal to me as is. Virtual IFS is now a "meh, I guess I'll recharge, check, picture, check, done" that takes at most 5 min to complete, just for the badge tick. And the decoding became monotonous after a few events. It was a great option when it was unsafe to gather (and where it still is) but these events feel like a chore more than anything now, while the rest of the region is open to gatherings.

Local POCs have tried to host in-person meetups a few times over the last 6 months, but it sounds like nobody has shown up (I haven't) because there is no incentive to. We do our meetups during Second Sunday where we can walk a banner and play together for the badge tick, then we have the option to hit a restaurant or bar afterwards if we want to. I don't see our local IFS meetups succeeding at all until double AP, restock portal, etc. incentives are added back (or something new!?).

I don't want to see IFS fade away, but that may be better than staying in its current form.

• We do the Second Sunday here too, but it's mostly 'own faction' rather than a cross faction thing.

• CtrlAltDuckCtrlAltDuck ✭✭✭

As I said in the IngressFS Global TG there are already plans underway for this, but no we don't have a timeline on when yet.

• PixelbytesPixelbytes ✭✭✭

Soon tm

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

In my community, there is so few players left across both factions, having regular monthly Meetups at IFS is what we enjoy.

Virtual IFS was fine during regular lockdowns, but that time has passed.

We would love for Ingress First Saturday's (Sometimes referred to as Ingress Community Day) to return to in person meet ups. However, because Niantic are not actively marketing Ingress, in fact, it often appears that Niantic Marketing department actively refuses to even acknowledge Ingress, we have virtually no new players joining up. So if we do go back to in person First Saturday's, we simply do not have enough players to make the minimum requirement.

• edited June 2022

I'm not proposing removal of the Virtual, but it should be an option to do a fully in-person event in locations where it's suitable. For those who prefer Virtual, there's no requirement for proximity to the event, so even if your local area is in-person, you can attend another in a different city virtually.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. But the option should exist.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

We will be doing hybrid because, even if 3 turn up, we still enjoy meeting up

• JanRouJanRou ✭✭

We've been ready for in-person FS since februrary 2022 in Denmark. Come on Niantic - it's time to move!

The danish goverment has cancelled all Covid-19 related restrictions and regulations from the 1. February 2022. 😁 This implies that all gatherings are possible, nightclubs will be open and concerts will be possible. Roskilde Festival is up! Thus there are no reasons to continue FS@home in Denmark. The Covid-19 situation is in Denmark that Corona is an epidemic influenza. For further details see the site https://en.coronasmitte.dk/travel-rules/covidtravelrules

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Anomaly next month in germany which used to have very strict restrictions and still fs@home is a thing ? i dont get it.. most of the world is open now and not lockdowns yet real FS for those that cared about them isnt the standard today? and is warm and nice many parts in world what gives..

#meetyououtthere#

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

While we are all rethinking having a live IFS, Monkeypox is now a public emergency in the US....

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i did, still doesnt explain why its not a thing yet. will they start this when its winter and people are less likely to meet outside 🤔

• GargishGargish ✭✭✭

Monkeypox isn't transmitted by just standing next to each other.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

I'm honestly confused why we don't have in-person IFS still. Is there going to be some sort of change to the event?